Scruggs Sneaky Price conspiracy!

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, my local poolroom in Philly sold them for I think $180 with 2 shafts around the late 90's early 2000's. I think the Scruggs sneaky's appreciated more than any other Scruggs, or about any other maker. And they weren't even made by him, ha ha.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was offered a lot of Scruggs/ skip Westons etc in pool rooms inthe early 2000s for around $600 back then / all of them over $2500 now

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Yeah, my local poolroom in Philly sold them for I think $180 with 2 shafts around the late 90's early 2000's. I think the Scruggs sneaky's appreciated more than any other Scruggs, or about any other maker. And they weren't even made by him, ha ha.
Best Billiards here sold them for some $175. The employees there bought them all according to a friend who also got one.
They were still made on TS's taper machine . They have his taper . They have the clean melamine ferrule you'd have a hard time finding now .
Somehow, the jointless ones with brass insert hit the best imo.

It doesn't matter if they go for $5K now . Supply and demand .

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a Scruggs story....a guy down on his luck in the early 2000's had a Scruggs. He said he paid $1200 for it and I remember it being a very nice looking cue. He offered to sell it to me for $500. He let me use it for a few days and I didn't like it. He had put a soft tip on it and I think that's the reason.

Anyways, it is crazy how much they demand. Like I said, his later work is the stuff that is worth every penny. The older stuff not so much. It's like he suddenly got modern equipment and started pushing his cues to another level.

You see that with a lot of cue makers. From their early stuff to their new stuff. It is on another level and that could be due to experience and newer equipment.

An example is Blackboar, their early cues which commands a high price, but is nothing special. Their current stuff is amazing. Therefore, its not wise to buy those early AS for thousands and thousands of dollars because of the current lineup.

It's like a top chef. He started off cooking shit sandwiches. Now that he is a famous renown chef, are you going to pay $100 for a ketchup and mustard bologna sandwich made by him?
You are clueless and your consistent overstatement tips you over into full of shit.

Terry Aeschliman

Terry Aeschliman
Gold Member
Silver Member
To the best of my knowledge none of the Jackpots were branded. I bought a dozen from Dean and none were marked in any way. I also do not think Jack Potter actually helped in the build process.
A few of that batch sold by Dean were referred to as "Zorro" cues. Nearly the same as Jackpots.

shooter_Hans

To the best of my knowledge none of the Jackpots were branded. I bought a dozen from Dean and none were marked in any way. I also do not think Jack Potter actually helped in the build process.
A few of that batch sold by Dean were referred to as "Zorro" cues. Nearly the same as Jackpots.
Thanks.

I was looking for a branded one. Good to know there wasn’t one because I was going to pay $500 max for one. The story is just too good. The infamous Jackpot cue. Well, it’s folklore now.

ROFL

The name and how good it shoots is a no brainer. Mush have in any collection. It was my holy grail. Now there is closure.

Last edited:

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think "Zorro" Cues and "Jackpots" are synonymous. I think Dean renamed them or gave them the nickname in a post here on AZ. I do believe Jack Potter was involved in the design, not in the building at all. Shooter08

shooter_Hans

Did this guy Dean mock up or have any renderings of potential logos? We must add the logo and brand to complete it.

Jackpot Cues has so much potential. It could be selling at most retailers by now.

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Gold Member
Silver Member
If there is enough interest in "Jackpot" cues I will look into resurrecting the brand. This could only happen if Jack is onboard and there would be a logo on new cues. PM if interested.... to be continued
Did this guy Dean mock up or have any renderings of potential logos? We must add the logo and brand to complete it.

Jackpot Cues has so much potential. It could be selling at most retailers by n

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think "Zorro" Cues and "Jackpots" are synonymous. I think Dean renamed them or gave them the nickname in a post here on AZ. I do believe Jack Potter was involved in the design, not in the building at all. Shooter08
Nothing but Schmelke sp's at stupid prices.

StrokeofLuck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know it's sacrilege to say but I had one about 15 years ago that I got on a trade and for my tastes, it was nothing special at all. I had picked up a Carmeli "Shop" cue, so not even made by Ariel, right around the same time and it was a way better playing cue IMO. Of course I have neither of them anymore. 😕

pooldawg8

My Pride and Joy
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well I`ll throw in my 0.2 cents worth. Years ago I stopped by the Scruggs shop and talked for about 3 or 4 hrs with Tim Scruggs & Mike Cochran about there sneaky pete cues. I showed them the 1 I just picked up on azb for about $550. They both said it was a Schmelke blank & a quite good 1 at that. Mike went to an old tool box in the corner of the shop & pulled out a piece of ferrule material that he had left over from that time frame. About a 6 inch piece He said it was the best ferrule material he ever used, but couldn`t get it anymore. I asked them about who made there sneaky pete cues & Mike laughed & said don`t believe everthing you read on azb. He said before Bob Frey came to the Scruggs shop, they had a young fellow that made all there sneakys until he moved away to another state. I can`t remember his name for the life of me but that`s what Mike said & I believed him. He knew of the azb site & said that people like to boost about how much they knew & visited the Scruggs shop, but Mike & Tim both said that it was mostly BS. Mike took me around the shop & showed me cues that where in the works and it was breath taking. Like I said I`m just relaying what Mike & Tim told me all those years ago, take it with a grain of salt if you want. I also stopped by with my wife & son 1 time & introduced my family to both Mike & Tim. They also took my wife & son around the shop for a quick visit. This was maybe 2 or 3yrs before Mike suddenly passed away. Mike & Tim were both craftsman of the cue building world & I`ll never forget my time spent with both of them. There I finally got that off my mind. Thanks Jeff

shooter_Hans

Well I`ll throw in my 0.2 cents worth. Years ago I stopped by the Scruggs shop and talked for about 3 or 4 hrs with Tim Scruggs & Mike Cochran about there sneaky pete cues. I showed them the 1 I just picked up on azb for about $550. They both said it was a Schmelke blank & a quite good 1 at that. Mike went to an old tool box in the corner of the shop & pulled out a piece of ferrule material that he had left over from that time frame. About a 6 inch piece He said it was the best ferrule material he ever used, but couldn`t get it anymore. I asked them about who made there sneaky pete cues & Mike laughed & said don`t believe everthing you read on azb. He said before Bob Frey came to the Scruggs shop, they had a young fellow that made all there sneakys until he moved away to another state. I can`t remember his name for the life of me but that`s what Mike said & I believed him. He knew of the azb site & said that people like to boost about how much they knew & visited the Scruggs shop, but Mike & Tim both said that it was mostly BS. Mike took me around the shop & showed me cues that where in the works and it was breath taking. Like I said I`m just relaying what Mike & Tim told me all those years ago, take it with a grain of salt if you want. I also stopped by with my wife & son 1 time & introduced my family to both Mike & Tim. They also took my wife & son around the shop for a quick visit. This was maybe 2 or 3yrs before Mike suddenly passed away. Mike & Tim were both craftsman of the cue building world & I`ll never forget my time spent with both of them. There I finally got that off my mind. Thanks Jeff
I believe you. These stories occur more than one wants to believe. There was a thing called collaboration process where some builders will send them over to another to finish. We will never know who they are. Well I actually know one but I won’t name him.

The romantic idea that Mr. Scruggs sitting there pumping out sneakies is charming to many. Like any business they will have the busy bee doing stuff while they are actually working on more elaborate cues.

I never understood one man shops and 10 year waiting lists. That’s not efficient. Scruggs got it right.