Self Centering chuck on mid size Cuesmith lathe

Tom1234

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First, let me thank those of you who take time to post a reply. My question - is there a way to make sure the cue will properly center on my lathe every time? By that I mean I have to, by trial and error, get the cue "just right" before it will spin with little runout. My dial gauge shows almost no runout, but as you know, if the cue wobbles, it's hard to do a repair or install a tip. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

str8eight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How much run it does the indicator show? Getting those chucks to run less than .002 can be time consuming.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Tom1234

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's about the runout I have. My problem is getting the shaft centered the first time. I've tried new collets, but it still takes several tries to get the shaft to turn true. There has to be a method to center the shaft quickly. Thanks.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
The 4-jaw version is more accurate than the 3-jaw.
Much easier to shim and get the part to run true to.

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The options are a 4 jaw independent, an adjustable 3 jaw, like a Bison, or getting a spindle made that takes collets. The quickest is a collet closing head stock with reasonable quality collets. If you have more than just a cue lathe, ie a centre lathe, you can make your own collets also. In my case I made a ER40 collet spindle and a couple of ER40 collet steady rests as well. Some collets I have made from Delrin. Others I use a larger collet with wood sleeves.
Neil

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Number each hole in the chuck 1-3 according to how accurately they tighten down the first time, or simply mark your #1 hole so you know it is the key hole. I use a sharpie so it's easy to find.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
Number each hole in the chuck 1-3 according to how accurately they tighten down the first time, or simply mark your #1 hole so you know it is the key hole. I use a sharpie so it's easy to find.

right you are................ and then check it with an indicator.......... you can tap the high jaw with a small rubber or plastic hammer to get another thou or 2

Kim