Serious question?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
My assumption as I have just recently came back to AZ after taking a long break. From years ago, you said you were the expert that designed the Diamond tables and responsible for all of their success and they would be nothing without you. Based on YOUR statements, I wouldnt expect them to be able to do anything without your direct involvement.

Greg Sullivan is just a figurehead?

Ken
I pointed them down a pathway 23 years ago, I haven't lead Diamond by the hand for the last 23 years! Diamond has evolved on their own, contrary to what you'd like to believe! I help when asked, but I'm NOT Diamond!

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Attacking RKC its not going to solve anybody's problem, at the end of the day his is the king wether you like or not, he is the pro, so if you are not agree with someone(him) your only solution is to attack the person? Show some class, I bet you will not talking like that in his face!!!
And what does taking cheap shots at him have to with anything. Start a separate Do We Love or Hate RKC thread/poll.

JCL

We can said whatever we want, but reality is that pool players are broke and they will play high stakes even in a valley table, so at the end of the day there are the ones that support and promote pool table and cues, one clear example is the predator event, junk tables but the money and advertising was there.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
For the same reasons professional race car drivers race on slick tires without speed limits and with cars sitting an inch above the road getting 3 MPG.
while passenger car tires are treaded, confined to legal speeds, and cars average 6 inches of ground clearance, getting over 15 MPG.

These are "different" enough that "different" rules SHOULD apply.

One would not want race team personnel deciding passenger car specifications.
One would not want casual driver to decide the specifications of a race car, either.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Over in the golf world, the players have to adjust to all kinds of grass surfaces, all kinds of weather circumstances, put up with the occasional equipment failure, and just plain bad luck.
As to clothe:: I like Simonis.
As to Balls:: I like Duramith.
As to chalk:: I like Masters.
As to pockets:: 142º entrance angle for corner pockets and 103º entrance angles for side pockets.
The reason people don't agree on stuff is that it is expensive to change if what you agree to is not what you have on hand.
But, all golf cups are 4 1/4' worldwide, no matter what course your playing on, that's my point.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But, all golf cups are 4 1/4' worldwide, no matter what course your playing on, that's my point.
I agree to a point. I look at pocket sizes like different tees on a golf course.Pro-level events need smaller pockets but those same sizes for recreational/ball-bangers are a recipe for disaster.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I agree to a point. I look at pocket sizes like different tees on a golf course.Pro-level events need smaller pockets but those same sizes for recreational/ball-bangers are a recipe for disaster.
This is kind of my point. I don't feel tighter pockets are the answer for the Pros, but longer races might be. Pro rules for tournaments, longer races decide the better players, and outside sponsorship money, instead of industry sponsorship because of driving sales. What this sport DONT NEED, is more pool tables, cloth, balls, all being sold and marketed as the best. What this industry needs is a set of standards that are repeatable.

Upcoming youth need to be able to play on equipment, the same equipment the Pros play on, in order to track their progress as they improve.

A big part of organizing this industry, I would think would be the equipment standards, of which there is none, why not is my question?

If left in the hands of this industry's leaders, nothing is ever going to change.

Currently they're the ones deciding what's best for the players and the viewers, but in my opinion, they haven't done a very good job of leading this industry, when they're all fighting for the control of it, and yet, clearly NO ONE is in charge!!

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
Hi Glen. Been a while, it was starting to get too nice around here.

I guess there’s two ways to look at this. What’s good for the pros, and what spectators want. I’m not sure the answer to either of those things (I have my own preferences). But they aren’t the same things necessarily, and don’t require the same level of talent necessarily either.

The full saying is that the customer is always right in matters of taste. Sponsors and promoters put out / produce what they think will be successful with consumers. Pros have input, but not the last word.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Selling Pro pool is different than selling tables. They'll throw in the dining surface if that's what is ordered. I'd like to think consumer level pro pool should have some <elite> in there. Ain't hatnin on no Valley's. Snooker has never strayed from the pocket shape. (which is debilitatingly dumb as fk) It's still a major draw to the "other" colonies lol.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Serious question for everyone. How is it that people that can't run a rack of balls in 9 or 10 ball, get to decide just exactly how a pool table should play for the Pros? How do they even determine how the pockets should accept or reject balls, in order to create what they call FAIR pockets?? No one seems to be able to agree on shit, let alone which cloth is the best for the Pros to play on, yet, their OPINION seems to put them in charge of this sport! What are the best balls, best chalk, best of anything for the Pros, if it's the NON PROS doing all the deciding??? Sales, THAT’S how its all determined, SALES!!!

I mean, who is really in charge of this games future growth? Who gave these people the power to decide on what the VIEWING fans want to see, or NOT want to see????

Who has the power to decide what's the best for the Professional players? I'd like to know!
It’s the reason why pro’s don’t really come here any more. Guys like you with knowledge leave because jack off’s who covered their table in the basement and ran a few racks on it think they’re master table mechanics and world champions. I mostly come here for the comedy these days. Then I head to the golf course to be around people who don’t care what equipment you use… don’t think they know everything about the game because they got a birdie once and enjoy playing And don’t think that unless you gamble every penny you have on a game you’ll never be good at it.

dendweller

My assumption as I have just recently came back to AZ after taking a long break. From years ago, you said you were the expert that designed the Diamond tables and responsible for all of their success and they would be nothing without you. Based on YOUR statements, I wouldnt expect them to be able to do anything without your direct involvement.

Greg Sullivan is just a figurehead?

Ken
Looked like there was a lot of assumption in your initial post, seemed less like a response to the post and more like past bad blood.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I'm just questioning if the decisions made today, making it harder and harder for the Pros to pocket balls, at what point does the tight pockets end? By making the pockets so tight, they make the pros look like normal everyday players, missing shots that would have, should have, been pocketed, does this send a negative message to the upcoming generations of future player's, to the point of discouragement of even playing pool as a sport? Combine tight ass pockets with shorter races handicaps the players in the long run.

If horse racing was limited to 100 yards at a time, for a mile, no Thoroughbred race horse on the planet would beat a 1/4 horse on the track.

The point of my last statement is that without some distance in the races, no player today can truly show their dominance over this sport, and their greatness as a dominant player.

It's just my thoughts that today's decisions about the pocket sizes being tighter, could cost us the future of this sport, just my opinion.