Settle a Bet

WMHarkins

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I have a bet with a friend on the pronunciation the cue maker Meucci. I say it's pronounced "Mewchee" and he says it's "Mayoochee"

Comments? I have 10$ riding on this! Ha... We have nothing better to do... can't bet on the Bears!!!

Mike

R2PQZ

I have a bet with a friend on the pronunciation the cue maker Meucci. I say it's pronounced "Mewchee" and he says it's "Mayoochee"

Comments? I have 10$ riding on this! Ha... We have nothing better to do... can't bet on the Bears!!!

Mike
For many years yours was the accepted one. At some point, maybe in the 90s your friends choice was presented as correct.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

Mike
It is definitely not Mewchee.

Italian would be close to Mayoochee.

Most Americans will say either Myoochi or Meeyoochi.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
For many years yours was the accepted one. At some point, maybe in the 90s your friends choice was presented as correct.
“Mewchee” was never accepted in my area (bought my first Meucci in the late 80’s). And it certainly was never acceptable by Italian Americans.. The guy who invented the telephone was Antonio Meucci, so the name was not unknown outside of the pool world.