shaft that has a taper roll...

bearsafety

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My shaft has a slight lift in the middle of the taper. the tip doesnt leave the table. Will a taper warp throw your stroke or shot off?

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
a small lift usually is not enough to blame a miss on
jmho
im not an expert

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Any cue shaft should be straight. Why would you want anything less?
If you were playing golf would you want a bend in the shaft of your seven iron?
Switch to a Predator. Dead straight from start to finish. :smile:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

i agree you would like the shaft to be straight but with regular shafts a slight taper roll is not unusual
imho

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
get a Jacoby shaft adjuster. simple to use, effective. problem solved.

Indeed.

But a typical 'taper wobble' which may be a few to several thousandths of an inch is not enough to affect the stoke or shot.

A dog leg crook or bend, well sure.

dom_poppa

Banned
Slight wobble or taper roll, whatever you want to call it, will not affect a shot.

I have played very well with crooked house cues. As a matter of fact that's how I learned to when I was younger.

Poolhalljunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i agree you would like the shaft to be straight but with regular shafts a slight taper roll is not unusual
imho

Switch to a Predator. Dead straight from start to finish. [Tramp steamer]

Predator shafts warp just like any others.

dom_poppa

Banned

Well, to be fair a golf club is very crooked during the swing.:cool:

inar01_tigerwoods.jpg

mr_stanley

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a few cues with a slight taper roll. The joint and the tip rolls smooth without leaving the table. The roll is usually in the middle of the shaft, far away from the tip. My bridge hand touches the shaft much closer to the tip so it makes no difference in my shooting style if the shaft has a slight roll or is perfectly straight.

spktur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You take a piece of wood and turn it down nice and skinny with a parabolic taper then beat hell out of it against the billiard balls and expect it to remain perfectly straight, yeah. I've know great players (Buddy Hall for one) who would mark their shafts so they would hold them the same way each time. Average players worried about a little roll is like the guy who missed the shot because the guy in the next building moved.

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
My shaft has a slight lift in the middle of the taper. the tip doesnt leave the table. Will a taper warp throw your stroke or shot off?

Nothing man made is "perfect".

I wouldn't worry about a slight taper roll.

If people worried more about developing their game playing skills ( stroke, stance, strategy etc.) they would play better.

I would go so far as to say that 99% of the time, a missed shot is due to the shooter and not the equipment. People don't like to believe this is the case, because it's easier to buy a new piece of equipment than it is to do the work needed to develop your game.

rayjay

some of the kids
Silver Member

It's a wonder you didn't recommend the "Miracle".
:D

bearsafety

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Switch to a Predator. Dead straight from start to finish. [Tramp steamer]

Predator shafts warp just like any others.

Indeed! The shaft im discussing is actually my original 314 shaft. I cant keep a predator shaft to STAY straight :(

Ill have to google jacoby shaft straightener

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
It's a wonder you didn't recommend the "Miracle".
:D

Great play on words, rayjay.
Actually, I was going to recommend the Miracle because you can not only shoot rings around your opponents with one, but you can shoot around corners, too.
And, with one of our new FourSkin II tips installed you'll rarely get beat. :smile:

Bamacues

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Sorry...stating that a Predator shaft is straight from start to finish is crap. predator shafts are made of wood...they will warp. Any shaft, whether hard rock maple, flat laminated, pie shape laminated, or any other type construction will warp. That is why Predator does not warrant their shafts against warpage.

A slight taper roll will have very little, if any, impact on play. The closer the movement is to the tip, the more it will affect play.

Don't mis-lead anyone by stating that certain products, like Predator shafts, are imune to warpage. If you know that to be true, I have a few Predator shafts you can buy, but they seem to defy your "dead xtraight from start to finish" statement.

Any shaft can develop a taper roll.
Joe

Bamacues

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes, but they are designed to do that. Pool cues are not.

Of course they are. They bend like that on every shot...some people call it deflection. Take a look at a slow- motion video of Charlie Bryant's break. The shaft bends like heck.

The guy asked for honest input...do't spout that "Predators don't warp" BS. I hardly ever see one that is perfectly straight. Again, read their warranty ref warpage.

If you want protection against a shaft warping, McDermott and I believe Viking now also, do warrant their shafts against warpage..to the original, registered owner. That doesn't mean they won't warp, but only that they will replace it if it does. Predator won't do that.
Joe

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Sorry...stating that a Predator shaft is straight from start to finish is crap. predator shafts are made of wood...they will warp. Any shaft, whether hard rock maple, flat laminated, pie shape laminated, or any other type construction will warp. That is why Predator does not warrant their shafts against warpage.
A slight taper roll will have very little, if any, impact on play. The closer the movement is to the tip, the more it will affect play.
Don't mis-lead anyone by stating that certain products, like Predator shafts, are imune to warpage. If you know that to be true, I have a few Predator shafts you can buy, but they seem to defy your "dead xtraight from start to finish" statement.
Any shaft can develop a taper roll.
Joe

I've owned several Predator shafts for almost fifteen years now and have yet to have one warp. I would suggest that you may not take very good care of your equipment.
As for their (Predator's) warrantee, I wouldn't either. Some dumbass is bound to leave his cue in the trunk of his car in a hot Los Vegas parking lot.

Roger Long

Sonoran Cue Creations
Silver Member

I've seen too many warped Predators to agree with this.

Roger