Shane and Earl up at World Cup of Pool

sonny_burnett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are completely wrong on that one and simply show your ignorance on that subject with that post.

Earl in his prime was actually "that good". He won many of those events back in his prime when guys like Efren, Busty, Fong Pang Chao, Chin Shun Yang, Ralf, Ortmann, Parica, and Mika were already on the stage. Earl won his "last" world championship AFTER Mika won his, so to pretend that the game was not already international when Earl was at his peak and winning is simply BS. You clearly don't like the guy, that is fine, you don't have to, but spouting off complete BS is not needed.

Earl "was" actually that good when he had his head on a little more straight and was able to channel his intensity and focus into attacking the "game" and the "table" instead of attacking his opponent and the fans. He has mostly lost his ability to focus his emotions into the game and attack the balls like he used to. Once upon a time I don't even think Earl knew who he was playing when he was at the table shooting, he was obliterating the game itself and whoever was sitting in the chair off to the side was fairly irrelevant to Earl. Now he worries more about that person he is playing then what he himself is doing at the table, and that is sad.
Well spoken

Razor

Lex Parsimoniae
Silver Member
You are completely wrong on that one and simply show your ignorance on that subject with that post.

Earl in his prime was actually "that good". He won many of those events back in his prime when guys like Efren, Busty, Fong Pang Chao, Chin Shun Yang, Ralf, Ortmann, Parica, and Mika were already on the stage. Earl won his "last" world championship AFTER Mika won his, so to pretend that the game was not already international when Earl was at his peak and winning is simply BS. You clearly don't like the guy, that is fine, you don't have to, but spouting off complete BS is not needed.

Earl "was" actually that good when he had his head on a little more straight and was able to channel his intensity and focus into attacking the "game" and the "table" instead of attacking his opponent and the fans. He has mostly lost his ability to focus his emotions into the game and attack the balls like he used to. Once upon a time I don't even think Earl knew who he was playing when he was at the table shooting, he was obliterating the game itself and whoever was sitting in the chair off to the side was fairly irrelevant to Earl. Now he worries more about that person he is playing then what he himself is doing at the table, and that is sad.

Amen. Great post.

~Razor

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agreed Earl crushed the balls made a ball with shape and because of the headstring rule it was an illegal break. The rule eliminates anyone soft breaking which is something I despise, but it does seem as though they could make an adjustment. Earl made a couple safety errors but I don't remember any missed balls that set. Of course we will hear how bad he played though. I thought the Russians really played well. Just a couple errors.
Yep Mark well said Team USA came with some shots in the clutch and in the end Shanes break did
in team Russia

nplum24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What a Great match! USA played well, with Shane coming to the rescue a few times. I personally think Shane picked the right partner. He has confidence in Earl and has a calming effect on him! GO USA!!

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This break rule has to go. It's ruining the whole tournament. Congrats to Team America...nicely played.

Maybe make it the 3rd diamond in the kitchen; discourages soft break but allows a bit more room for up table balls.

Seems a tradeoff: w/9 on the spot, cut breaking, often get 1 in the side, but not huge travel from other balls. They seem to wack each other and stay down table nearer the spot.

Lotsa good breaks have been nullified by all teams.

It would be interesting to see stats on illegal breaks, and patterns of balls that didn't travel well.

The current rule needs a little tweaking.

TomInFaribo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought Russia got on lot of good roles on the safety play after being hooked and their missed shots. Anyway it all turned around with that last scratch. Shane played great. The match winning shot was his kick combination on the nine that tied the match up.

markgw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought Russia got on lot of good roles on the safety play after being hooked and their missed shots. Anyway it all turned around with that last scratch. Shane played great. The match winning shot was his kick combination on the nine that tied the match up.

My hope is that the USA doesn't quit winning until everybody's pissed off.....So you can hate team Strickland right into the winners circle:thumbup: GO USA!!!!

Mkbtank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I agree that shot was huge!

The Russian team did play well. Way too close. Whew.

Incidentally, the tall Russian player was at the DCC this past year. I watched a money match between he and Rodney Morris where he was getting a spot from Rodney. Rodney took the cheese if I'm not mistaken.

actionplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane holding Earl up by his shoe laces. Don't think can rely on that much more. When play a ranked team think they'll be in big trouble.

Earl was about to start crying as usual until the Russians got the unlucky roll after making the one and scratching. Dechaine or Corey as partner they be must stronger

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
My hope is that the USA doesn't quit winning until everybody's pissed off.....So you can hate team Strickland right into the winners circle:thumbup: GO USA!!!!

And I'm sure Earl will be modest and reserved in the Winner's Circle :D:D Wouldn't that be something to see? "Mr. Strickland, why do you think the USA won?" "Well Jim, we were very fortunate and I'm personally humbled to be in the presence of so many great players."

As I mentioned in another thread, why not change the break rule to 3 balls beyond the centerline? or 4 balls beyond the centerline?

Last edited:

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree that shot was huge!

The Russian team did play well. Way too close. Whew.

Incidentally, the tall Russian player was at the DCC this past year. I watched a money match between he and Rodney Morris where he was getting a spot from Rodney. Rodney took the cheese if I'm not mistaken.
yep Rodney gave him the 8 ball playing 10 ball and won easy

markgw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane holding Earl up by his shoe laces. Don't think can rely on that much more. When play a ranked team think they'll be in big trouble.

Earl was about to start crying as usual until the Russians got the unlucky roll after making the one and scratching. Dechaine or Corey as partner they be must stronger

But he didn't miss any balls...Russia did miss balls, there's your difference in the match. The players that make the less mistakes usually win but don't have to in a short race. As far as Deshane and Corey there is no soft breaking that's not our team it's Earl Strickland and Shane Van Boening. I think they are playing pretty well. The worst played match I have seen so far was by team Philipines, very uncharacteristic how bad they played..

GO USA!!!!

markgw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm not understanding any of this Earl didn't miss a single ball?? I guess I'm not suppose to understand it. It's just hater nonsense. We are winning and your talking about shoe laces, it's just goofy..................

itsfroze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane and Earl will cruise to the quarters, which is where the tournament begins if you are one of the top seeds. USA seeded 5th.

They barely won their last match, with Russia.
They had me sweating.

Go Earl and Shane !!!

gopi-1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sept. 25, Thursday - Today's results

Afternoon session:

Germany 7-1 Malaysia
Canada 7-1 Malta
Belgium 3-7 Switzerland

Evening session:

England B 7-6 India
2nd round: Philippines 7-5 France
2nd round: USA 7-5 Russia

Sept. 26, Friday - 2nd round matches

Afternoon session:12 noon local time (4 am Pacific, 7 am Eastern, 7 pm Manila time)

Finland v Poland
Qatar v Austria
Netherlands v Switzerland

Evening session: 6pm local time (10 am Pacific, 1 pm Eastern, 1 am Manila time)

Germany v Canada
China v England B
England A v Greece

Click HERE for the free live streaming link...

markgw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They barely won their last match, with Russia.
They had me sweating.

Go Earl and Shane !!!

Awesome match by Russia!! Very good team! They played better than any of the other teams I've seen so far. Their mistakes came at an untimely moment.