Shane calls a foul on himself

real bartram

Real Cold Steel
Silver Member
10-9 down after breaking the balls and extensively trying to figure out a good safe. Shane bend over and touches the 9 ball with his shirt or hand and immediately touches the cue ball and put it in the whole. Corey had not noticed it nor anyone else in the room. Pretty brutal way to lose but you can say thats not good character to call it on himself when he fouled...

Didn't he try to take a bank vs john Morra that he called in another pocket ?
In the bank tourney at dcc .

ctran

You watch me.
Silver Member
I must say I dont have a slight surprise to learn of what Shane did.

I witnessed the same thing in a big tournament here in Vietnam last year. My mentor (former national champion) called a foul on himself in a knock out match (vs. Aloysius Yapp of Singapore). Aloy did not notice, even the ref did not, but he called it, just when he got the momentum after getting to 5-5 (trailed 2-5). that was a key moment.

winning is not everything in pool, how you play to win is more important.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was never a big tournament player, but I've played in 100's of action/gambling matchups where I called a foul on myself or my opponent called a foul on himself. Most of the time we would tell the other to put the moved ball back and shoot. Not saying Corey's wrong for taking the game, but to me it's being a nit. Johnnyt
Then why bother haveing rules

In this case it sounds like Shane just picked up the cue ball and put it in a pocket right away before Cory even knew what happened. Someone else that saw it can clarify, but if this was the case, it was too late for Cory to tell him that it's okay, no foul.

I saw it in person and corey was surprised as we all were in the crowd....it was a shame to lose that way.....it was a good match and corey broke well and made some nice safeties and kicks.....

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is a classy move by Shane regardless of whether or not he attempted to cheat in bank pool before.

I think cue ball foul rules are better. If you move any ball besides the cue ball the opponent should be able to place it where he thought it was. Foul on all balls is excessive to me.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
It is a classy move by Shane regardless of whether or not he attempted to cheat in bank pool before.

I think cue ball foul rules are better. If you move any ball besides the cue ball the opponent should be able to place it where he thought it was. Foul on all balls is excessive to me.

IMO, Shane didn't attempt to cheat at bank pool....it was a moment of confusion.

All fouls are played in straight pool and snooker, works just fine..3-cushion, also.

Busboy

Wanna Play Some?
Silver Member
He called one on him self when playing Bergman as well but Bergman told him not to worry about it Shane is class act

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All fouls are played in straight pool and snooker, works just fine..3-cushion, also.

In those games, the penalty for a foul is not BIH anywhere on the table. You can play safe by taking an intentional in straight pool and just give up your inning, but in rotation games played under all-foul rules, a wisp of hair from a pretty lady's tresses that brushes a ball anywhere on the table can almost guarantee that rack (and maybe the match in winner-breaks format) in over at this level of play.

I like CB fouls only in rotation games. JMHO.

Sofla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw it in person and corey was surprised as we all were in the crowd....it was a shame to lose that way.....it was a good match and corey broke well and made some nice safeties and kicks.....

If you saw it, you should have corrected the story narrative just a little.

Shane did NOT make the foul with the bridge and then immediately do anything with the cue ball, I don't think.

He appeared to say something to Corey, and then went over to wait for the referee who was handling some rackng dispute on the Dechaine table one over. When the ref finished with the other table, Shane said something to the ref and got an answer.

Only then did he put the cue ball in the hole with a little flick or sweep of his cue stick.

Since nobody needs a ref to know about a foul you called on yourself (or a foul someone else calls on you), I suspect Shane was asking whether it was all balls foul or just cue ball fouls only. I was across the width of the room in the stands by the Dechaine match table, so I couldn't hear what was said. Maybe someone closer to that side can say what was said.

But definitely, any claim that he called his own foul and immediately put the cue ball down a hole isn't true. Now, did he touch the cue ball, to definitely make it an obvious foul? I didn't see that, personally. And it doesn't make sense that he'd then talk to the ref, even waiting a minute or more, unless he was asking if hopefully it wasn't a foul.

I'm not taking away from Shane's calling it on himself. Just trying to remind anyone who saw it how it went down. And since it went down that way, it looked like Shane thought maybe it wasn't a foul. After he talked to the ref and got the answer, he looked quite unhappy to my eyes, and abruptly popped that cue ball in the corner pocket.

I know it might seem impossible that Shane wouldn't have know for sure about the all balls foul rule. But last year or the year before, Busty clearly did not know about the 9 in the foot corner pockets not counting for a win on the break. He had made the 9 in the foot corner pocket and couldn't believe he didn't get the win. Then when his opponent made the 9 in the side pocket on the break and was awarded the win, he wanted to know why? Obviously that must have been covered in the players' meeting. I thought it was funny he didn't know the rule in either respects. It happens.

Last edited:

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
If you saw it, you should have corrected the story narrative just a little.

Shane did NOT make the foul with the bridge and then immediately do anything with the cue ball, I don't think.

He appeared to say something to Corey, and then went over to wait for the referee who was handling some rackng dispute on the Dechaine table one over. When the ref finished with the other table, Shane said something to the ref and got an answer.

Only then did he put the cue ball in the hole with a little flick or sweep of his cue stick.

Since nobody needs a ref to know about a foul you called on yourself (or a foul someone else calls on you), I suspect Shane was asking whether it was all balls foul or just cue ball fouls only. I was across the width of the room in the stands by the Dechaine match table, so I couldn't hear what was said. Maybe someone closer to that side can say what was said.

But definitely, any claim that he called his own foul and immediately put the cue ball down a hole isn't true. Now, did he touch the cue ball, to definitely make it an obvious foul? I didn't see that, personally. And it doesn't make sense that he'd then talk to the ref, even waiting a minute or more, unless he was asking if hopefully it wasn't a foul.

I'm not taking away from Shane's calling it on himself. Just trying to remind anyone who saw it how it went down. And since it went down that way, it looked like Shane thought maybe it wasn't a foul. After he talked to the ref and got the answer, he looked quite unhappy to my eyes, and abruptly popped that cue ball in the corner pocket.

Wouldn't that mean he called it on himself?

He wanted to confirm it was a foul according to the rules and then gave up ball in hand promptly.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Sofla. It's nothing at all against Shane. But sometimes our legends differ from reality.

Sofla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wouldn't that mean he called it on himself?

He wanted to confirm it was a foul according to the rules and then gave up ball in hand promptly.

Yes that's all correct, and I agree.

My only point was that he didn't call it on himself and give it up all in one moment.

There was the delay because the ref was busy, and then only after the ref's confirmation did he then put the cue ball in the hole. Like in the garden of Gethsamane, he asked (figuratively) whether that the cup might pass from him, apparently HOPING it wasn't really a foul.

It's all to his credit anyway. Just the 'he immediately turned the table over to Corey' part of the story is wrong.