Shane is not better than Earl

jaybanthony

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just my opinion based on all the times i've watched them play. Earl plays better position, better cueball control, better safes and kicks better....as for shot making, I'd probably put them even at this point.......again, just my opinion. Feel different? let me know why.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Just my opinion based on all the times i've watched them play. Earl plays better position, better cueball control, better safes and kicks better....as for shot making, I'd probably put them even at this point.......again, just my opinion. Feel different? let me know why.

Although I'm an Earl mega-fan, I feel different because Earl has a 33% win ratio against Shane.

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member

Shane has a much better break at all games, which at their level is a HUGE factor in both 9 ball (maybe the biggest winning edge) and 10 ball. Shane has reasonable winning professional mind control over his emotions while competing, I'd give him an A- in that area, where Earl gets an F.

Kevin

Woof Biscuit

and gravy
Silver Member

I wish you hung around the action room. :wink:

jaybanthony

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Although I'm an Earl mega-fan, I feel different because Earl has a 33% win ratio against Shane.

That's a pretty solid argument however i'm basing my opinion solely on skill....we all know what happens when Earl loses it, he pretty much throws in the towel. Though Earl has lost to Shane it's not like he got killed. I do however understand that the mental aspect is part of the game as well. Don't get me wrong, Shane's great I just don't think he's better than Earl regardless of record. Shane beat Mika and imo i don't think he's better than Mika neither...

jaybanthony

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane has a much better break at all games, which at their level is a HUGE factor in both 9 ball (maybe the biggest winning edge) and 10 ball. Shane has reasonable winning professional mind control over his emotions while competing, I'd give him an A- in that area, where Earl gets an F.

Kevin

I'll agree that he does have an edge in the mental game.....however his 9ball break is no where near his 10ball break.....not even close. Look at the videos that are available. It's no better than most of the pros out there.

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member
I'll agree that he does have an edge in the mental game.....however his 9ball break is no where near his 10ball break.....not even close. Look at the videos that are available. It's no better than most of the pros out there.

You'll agree with the most obvious fact on the planet? That's very generous of you.

Kevin

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
That's a pretty solid argument however i'm basing my opinion solely on skill....we all know what happens when Earl loses it, he pretty much throws in the towel. Though Earl has lost to Shane it's not like he got killed. I do however understand that the mental aspect is part of the game as well. Don't get me wrong, Shane's great I just don't think he's better than Earl regardless of record. Shane beat Mika and imo i don't think he's better than Mika neither...

I think if someone convinced Earl to let them help him get medicated (or whatever the solution is), Earl could be one of THE guys to beat. His emotions DESTROY his game. When he's "OK with the world," Earl's game is THE MOST beautiful to watch. His explosiveness is unparalleled.

Pride is a hard thing to face. If he would focus on finding the right meds that could level his anger; YET... not affect the physical aspects of his game, you'd see a new person. I'm not sure if there IS such a thing, medication-wise (prescribed meds). From what I hear, the meds he needs would not only take away his anger, it would take away the "drive and killer instinct" needed to compete as well. Very sad.

Dave

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Sounds like you are saying that certain players would score higher on some sort of skill test than others. This may be true, but that doesn't make them better players - it just means they test better :)

There is only 1 way to determine who the best player is and that is by going head to head. Everything else is just fodder for us to talk about.

*There's not too many people that think Jeff George was the greatest quarterback in the history of the NFL. Of course he could throw the ball real well, but so what.*

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

Shane is the better player...but he is about half Earl's age.
In the early 90's, I believe even Earl's break was Shane-like.
Earl was parking whitey and breaking around 29 mph.

..so if you compare them prime-to-prime..Earl is looking pretty good.

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member
Shane is the better player...but he is about half Earl's age.
In the early 90's, I believe even Earl's break was Shane-like.
Earl was parking whitey and breaking around 29 mph.

..so if you compare them prime-to-prime..Earl is looking pretty good.

Plus in the old daze Earl was more capable of keeping his "crazy" in check wasn't he?

Patrick

1 Pocket Addict
Silver Member
I'm talking TODAY with my post above. If we are talking all time that is another story.

-Patrick

jaybanthony

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm talking TODAY with my post above. If we are talking all time that is another story.

-Patrick

The money list is not necessarily a good tool for comparison because Earl does not play internationally anymore. You have to take the amount of tournaments played into consideration if you are going to make that argument.

Patrick

1 Pocket Addict
Silver Member
So Earl would have similar winnings if he played in the same tournaments as SVB? Easy for you to say...hard for you to prove.

I'll bail on this discussion here....sounds like you will argue your point regardless of the facts that people put in front of you.

-Patrick

Last edited:

brandoncook26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think if someone convinced Earl to let them help him get medicated (or whatever the solution is), Earl could be one of THE guys to beat. His emotions DESTROY his game. When he's "OK with the world," Earl's game is THE MOST beautiful to watch. His explosiveness is unparalleled.

Pride is a hard thing to face. If he would focus on finding the right meds that could level his anger; YET... not affect the physical aspects of his game, you'd see a new person. I'm not sure if there IS such a thing, medication-wise (prescribed meds). From what I hear, the meds he needs would not only take away his anger, it would take away the "drive and killer instinct" needed to compete as well. Very sad.

Dave

I don't know if Earl needs meds, but the affect they often have is exactly what you describe. I have seen many mentally ill persons that just aren't themselves once they take meds. Very sad that the thing that makes them "normal" also takes away a major part of them. From a professional standpoint I have seen many different effects.

From a personal standpoint, my grandmother has a similar condition. She used to take haldol (haloperidol). It made her like a zombie. She would sit and stare, and rarely talk to anyone. They have been trying different medications and she is much more alert and talkative as of late, but nothing like she was when I was a child.

It depends on having a doctor willing to work with the patient to see what is best for them. It's a very hard road and makes me very sad that people have to go through such things.