Shane Van Boening aiming system -WOW!!

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Wow who is suppose to oversee this argument of simpletons! I thought it was suppose to be about Shane's Aiming System
I see that you are new here. Unless you have immense patience and a very strong stomach, it would be best for you to never view the posts in the Aiming subforum. It is primarily an insane asylum. Any thread actually about useful aiming tips is quickly turned into a great steaming pile of :poop: :poop: :poop:

Welcome to AZB.

P.S. It may also be best for you to avoid the "non-pool-related" forum (NPR). Half the people there are fools. I'm not sure which half. o_O

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I recently paid ($14.95) to download the Shane Van Boeing aiming video from
theactionreport.com (the TAR) website.

Shane, the number one player in the U.S., presents what I would call an all new approach to aiming. It's a system he invented. No ghost ball, no CTE, no fractional ball, your OB target is always the same and easy to see.

I've been trying it out for several days. WOW!!

Has anyone else tried it??
He says no one taught it to him. Shaft aiming however has been around in various forms.

I personally suspect that many people who play at Shane's level use some form of objective aiming.

Shane's method works. Well worth the 14$ imo. Might be an you ever need and if so then that's perfect.

Hard to argue with a world champion about how he aims.

I personally like CTE because I think it is much more robust and handles far more shots.

But I have tried Shane's way and I like it as well. The important part is that it is consistent and easy to remember.

Shane, the number one player in the U.S., presents what I would call an all new approach to aiming. It's a system he invented. No ghost ball, no CTE, no fractional ball, your OB target is always the same and easy to see.

I've been trying it out for several days. WOW!!

Has anyone else tried it??
I own this and have watched it several times. I’m not trying to denounce it in any way, but both CJ Wiley’s, and especially Stan Shuffett’s material is SO much more in depth, informative, and more effective. I would say this: if you enjoyed Shane’s DVD on aiming, dedicate yourself to watching Stan’s “CTE: Pro One Truth Series” on YouTube. It’s a lot of material, and it seems overwhelming at first, but it’s because you’re reprogramming the way you think about pool. I wouldn’t call it an “aiming system”, rather, it’s an “Alignment/Perception” system that really connects you to the game. I feel like once you understand Stan’s material, you can never go back to any other way. Your “visual intelligence” will soar, and the way your mind processes Pool shots subconsciously will change forever. I’ve also purchased Stan’s book and it is absolutely fantastic. I highly recommend it.

I’ve also been a subscriber to CJ Wiley’s website and his material is also outstanding. I have imbedded so many of my fundamentals through his videos. He is a great teacher. Also, once you study both of their material, you will see that they intertwine quite a bit, even though they come from 2 different approaches. It will make your overall pool IQ soar, and you will get a lot of those “a-ha!” Epiphanies. I owe those two men so much more than I could ever give them. You can tell they put all of their passion and love for the game into their teaching and it shows.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The TAR site is still up and it's vimeo library has two SVB videos, but neither of those videos seems to have anything about aiming. Did I just miss the explanation? If anyone knows where in the two videos aiming is explained, please post the time:

The two videos are:
Running Out -- Shane's Way
Mental Game -- Shane's Way

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
The TAR site is still up and it's vimeo library has two SVB videos, but neither of those videos seems to have anything about aiming. Did I just miss the explanation? If anyone knows where in the two videos aiming is explained, please post the time:

The two videos are:
Running Out -- Shane's Way
Mental Game -- Shane's Way
He shows his aiming to Jennifer Beretta in her interview.
Imo, totally worthless to anyone else.
Who the hell aims the side of the shaft in different sections?
I think he's trolling and making fun of the poor souls.
In one interview, he was asked why he addresses the cue ball at the base almost all the time, he said it's easier to aim that way.
Well, he aims the cue ball then.
Just like almost everyone.

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
I own this and have watched it several times. I’m not trying to denounce it in any way, but both CJ Wiley’s, and especially Stan Shuffett’s material is SO much more in depth, informative, and more effective. I would say this: if you enjoyed Shane’s DVD on aiming, dedicate yourself to watching Stan’s “CTE: Pro One Truth Series” on YouTube. It’s a lot of material, and it seems overwhelming at first, but it’s because you’re reprogramming the way you think about pool. I wouldn’t call it an “aiming system”, rather, it’s an “Alignment/Perception” system that really connects you to the game. I feel like once you understand Stan’s material, you can never go back to any other way. Your “visual intelligence” will soar, and the way your mind processes Pool shots subconsciously will change forever. I’ve also purchased Stan’s book and it is absolutely fantastic. I highly recommend it.

I’ve also been a subscriber to CJ Wiley’s website and his material is also outstanding. I have imbedded so many of my fundamentals through his videos. He is a great teacher. Also, once you study both of their material, you will see that they intertwine quite a bit, even though they come from 2 different approaches. It will make your overall pool IQ soar, and you will get a lot of those “a-ha!” Epiphanies. I owe those two men so much more than I could ever give them. You can tell they put all of their passion and love for the game into their teaching and it shows.
It is overwhelming.
How many acronyms can one system have?
2 DVD's and a book on AIMING?
It's ridiculous.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
There are two videos. She is in both of them as the interviewer. Do you remember which one?

As I mentioned, I scanned both videos but saw nothing about aiming. Maybe it is just a very brief comment. Maybe not.

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
There are two videos. She is in both of them as the interviewer. Do you remember which one?

As I mentioned, I scanned both videos but saw nothing about aiming. Maybe it is just a very brief comment. Maybe not.
I have the DVD.
I can send it to you if you want.
Pm me your address.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I c
In one interview, he was asked why he addresses the cue ball at the base almost all the time, he said it's easier to aim that way.

Sectionalizing the shaft/ferrule (like splitting it into quarters) makes for a great tool when used in conjunction with fractional aiming references. For ghostball users, or any other aiming method, it probably does seem a bit worthless. But it's quite handy for people who use ob aiming references.

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
I've never seen this vid or explanation. But I have been shown the side of the shaft aim technique. Side of the shaft aiming definitely works on some mid angle cuts. It's pretty cool, too. Have you ever even tried it?

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
I've never seen this vid or explanation. But I have been shown the side of the shaft aim technique. Side of the shaft aiming definitely works on some mid angle cuts. It's pretty cool, too. Have you ever even tried it?
Yes
I was shown side of the ferrule aiming many moons ago. One dude could cut a frozen ball half of the end rail for cash.
But, Shane is talking about side of the shaft in different sections and it depends on the shaft is NUTTY.
Whatever system they might use , they still have the shot picture. They are so good they can line up the shot without even looking at their shaft. Just the tip.
The body is lined to the shot perfectly.
Shane even said he sees the angles right away.
These guys do not have some fancy aiming secrets.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
According to one video on YouTube, which may or may not be based on what Shane said and may or may not be based on what he does currently, Shane considers five lines on the ferrule: left side, right side, center, half left, half right. That seems to be combined with various (half-ball, full ball, ???) on the cue ball.

I'm a little surprised that Shane's system is not available more directly online.

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
According to one video on YouTube, which may or may not be based on what Shane said and may or may not be based on what he does currently, Shane considers five lines on the ferrule: left side, right side, center, half left, half right. That seems to be combined with various (half-ball, full ball, ???) on the cue ball.

I'm a little surprised that Shane's system is not available more directly online.
TAR closed, sadly

Attachments

• IMG_20230126_085608541.jpg
    IMG_20230126_085608541.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 75

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use SVB type aiming. He is not bullshitting anybody. If people can´t understand how it works it does not mean it can´t be true. Why would SVB lie?
Anyways I made video just to show lil bit how SVB aiming works. I did not plan it or take it again so it is a lot of mumbling ...

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I use SVB type aiming. He is not bullshitting anybody. If people can´t understand how it works it does not mean it can´t be true. Why would SVB lie?
Anyways I made video just to show lil bit how SVB aiming works. I did not plan it or take it again so it is a lot of mumbling ...
So on the first shot you are aiming with the left side of the cue stick and using a half a tip of left side spin to make a quarter-ball hit. Is that true? I think that the aim will vary with the speed of the shot. Do you take the speed of the shot into account?

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So on the first shot you are aiming with the left side of the cue stick and using a half a tip of left side spin to make a quarter-ball hit. Is that true? I think that the aim will vary with the speed of the shot. Do you take the speed of the shot into account?
Yes of course. Also tip height and distance affect it little bit. Those variables are still easy to learn and compensate. Making learning a lot more simple than any other way i know. Speed seem to be very small variable if medium distance to object ball. Works very well with smaller diameter revo, ignite and z2 shaft. Almost no compensation if I play any of those shafts.
edit: Solid maple shafts 45 degree cut is normally aim middle of cue to the edge of object ball... or very close to it. So if im playing somewhere with house cue i might test couple shots how much different i need hit those and i am good to go after few test shots.

Last edited: