Sharking Moves

Cuaba

Livin Large
Silver Member
In a key set during one of the final matches at a team tournament I played in, one of the team members sat by a window and caught the sun with his watch crystal. During critical shots he would flash the reflection in the opposing shooter's eyes. When someone figured out what was going on, it almost ended in a brawl between both teams...

SeniorTom

In a key set during one of the final matches at a team tournament I played in, one of the team members sat by a window and caught the sun with his watch crystal. During critical shots he would flash the reflection in the opposing shooter's eyes. When someone figured out what was going on, it almost ended in a brawl between both teams...
I don't think a brawl would be appropriate, it usually never is, but I could see the individual being thrown out of the pool hall and told not to come back. This kind of stuff is what sullys the reputation of billiards, thugs doing thuggish things!

DeadStick

i like turtles
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's not a concession, I have only said it among friends, meaning they have a good opportunity but they still have to finish it. And I have never given it a thought as far as shaking just friendly conversation.
Agree. I've said "there ya go" many times after a dry break or miss leaving him perfect in casual bar games, whether for fun or a few bucks. It's an expression of my own disappointment directed more to myself, not any attempt at sharking. I would never say it in a serious tournament, as I try to remain positive and not show weakness.

If I hear it from my opponent, I never take it as sharking, and certainly wouldn't consider it a concession under any circumstance.

BRKNRUN

Showin some A$$
Silver Member
How about the "Cackling Hens" shark......At first I wasn't sure I was being sharked....I kind of thought they were just a couple idiots......

For reference....I suck buttermilk compared to the two Es...... They guy I was playing sucked that much worse than me and I pretty much knew this was a won match.....He had his girlfriend and another girl with him....Any time he shot...they went dead quiet.....As soon as he missed (usually at best by the third ball)....They would start going at it like two Cackling Hens.....overly obnoxious voice and even more obnoxious laugh....In the beginning I thought they were just well...not smart....but by the end of the match...I realized they were trying to shark me....

I probably should have said something....but the guy sucked at pool so bad..... I just didn't feel it was worth the bother at that point

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I'd move if asked, otherwise I'd sit still. It depends on the room and scenario. The point is, leaning behind a shot, when you could and should be back in your seat or a point away from table, is just gutless and says a lot about the person you are playing.

A crowd is a crowd, If a person was in the line of my shot in the crowd, and they weren't sitting tight in their chair, I'd class that as disrespectful to the game, not just to me or my shot. People are aware of their surroundings, but when movement behind the shot comes up, it's a choice of whether they are ignorant or devious... Both need addressing.
Where do you draw that line about people sitting still when they are in your line of aim? Many times there are other people around. other tables with people playing on them, etc. I guess because I have played in mostly bars people milling about, talking, laughing, etc when I am shooting doesn't bother me.

Flakeandrun

Where do you draw that line about people sitting still when they are in your line of aim? Many times there are other people around. other tables with people playing on them, etc. I guess because I have played in mostly bars people milling about, talking, laughing, etc when I am shooting doesn't bother me.
I mean, there are certain expectations we have in tournament, money or general match play. And these expectations will be relative to the venue. Multi-table tournament, we expect to see others playing the game. We don't expect to see others prancing around, or generally doing anything... except walking to a rest spot/playing a shot.

Naturally, if something seems out of line, you can't just blow up. You can certainly stand up off your shot and explain your expectation of normal, and if it's proving to be a controversial point, a referee or event organizer/official can be called over. Simple, civil interaction isn't complicated.

Also, yeah, sometimes people have an accident or drop things. Benefit of the doubt can always be given once, that's why it's important to mention any and all issues that you may have in a calm, polite and respectful way. If things are repetitive, then that's obviously going to be a problem that needs to be addressed.

The 'line' to me, isn't necessarily about the action that's occurred but, more about the discussion, resolution and understanding shown in fixing any issue. The behavior/attitude is what gives me the indication if it's 'sharking' bullshit, or just genuine mistake/different expectation (I'd always give the benefit to the person on their shot 99.9% of the time - respect the shooter). If there is differing expectation, take a second to resolve and compromise... we're adults after all... unless it's a junior tourney haha

Last edited:

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
never leave your cue on the table while racking. if he shoots it will send the cueball air born right at you.

just stop racking and ask him to not be at the front of the table in position to shoot while you are racking.
ive seen a few severely hurt from a flying cueball racking.

SeniorTom

Agree. I've said "there ya go" many times after a dry break or miss leaving him perfect in casual bar games, whether for fun or a few bucks. It's an expression of my own disappointment directed more to myself, not any attempt at sharking. I would never say it in a serious tournament, as I try to remain positive and not show weakness.

If I hear it from my opponent, I never take it as sharking, and certainly wouldn't consider it a concession under any circumstance.
I don't think that sharking either. Although, probably the best thing to do is not say anything throughout the entire match and just go sit in an appropriate chosen chair or stand aside and not move until it's your turn again. When I see that from certain players, I see a more cultured and respectful individual in my estimation.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
For starters, if using a plastic or particularly a heavy wood triangle I like to drop the triangle back on the balls as they break early, leaves them looking like a moron. Then I gently explain to them how dangerous their stupid move is. If using a cue to block I use a house cue and angle it so the cue ball will be going away from me if it takes flight.

On to sharking: These are things I only do if I catch the other player cheating or they are trying outrageous sharking. First, I show my butt a lot, literally. Bonus points to sneak out a silent deadly one. Anytime I can play shape to shoot a shot that puts my body between the opponent in his chair and the cue ball I do. Most particularly, they are looking at my butt. It doesn't take long for even a half decent player to realize this is deliberate. It is also disrespectful and hides any cheating I might do!

After hiding shots awhile or whenever I decide to I'll jerk my head around to stare at them after I shoot, immediately after or even with the balls still rolling. Not unusual to draw a scream, "FOUL!" I'll look at them nicely, "Really, what did you see?" Some will try to bluster or claim the most likely foul but they couldn't possibly have seen through my body to know what I did which was nothing illegal anyway. I never really cheat on the table.

I have done this to guys well known for their real cheating on the table. They invariably get so wrapped up in trying to catch me cheating that their focus on the match is lost. The head jerk by itself is wickedly effective and I sometimes use it when somebody is talking to a third party while I am shooting or staying on the phone so I have to wait a minute or two every time I turn a table over to them or they need to rack. They don't know what I did but I must have done something to look that guilty! The best cheat of all is the fake cheat. I suppose an unsportsmanlike call is possible if there is a referee present but the other person is unlikely to cheat with a referee so the whole issue is unlikely to exist.

If you are using scoring beads or other mechanical counters, seem to be messing with the opponent's when they turn towards you. An innocent sounding, "how many games do you have?" can help sell the deal. This is a little dangerous so consider exactly who your opponent is before even faking jacking with scoring beads. This can easily incite violence.

Lots of ways to make the other player crazy. I never do it just because I am losing. However I was a big fan of "when in Rome" and "catch up and double up!" You have to be careful though, all this side action can get in your head too! Some of the worst cheats around wouldn't play me because they thought I cheated more than they did. They might have been right but only when playing them. Too, my cheats were usually fake cheats.

Various stages I went from complaining about cheating, to fighting fire with fire, to life is too short to play known cheaters and sharkers. I may have to play them in a tournament but I am not getting in a cash game with them unless there is a special reason to. As they learn for themselves, it is no fun to play a cheater even if it is mostly in your own head!

Have fun, stay safe, and send me ten percent if you use my tactics.(grin)

Hu

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Walk up to your opponent before the match and say "I was watching you shoot earlier, nice shootin', how long did it take to get your pre-shot routine down so good you only have 3 practice strokes." That'll get them thinking for a while.

shooter_Hans

never leave your cue on the table while racking. if he shoots it will send the cueball air born right at you.

just stop racking and ask him to not be at the front of the table in position to shoot while you are racking.
ive seen a few severely hurt from a flying cueball racking.
Do they not let you at least get back to your seat?

That is very rude to break while you're still standing there.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What’s the best sharking moves you’ve seen? I’m trying to learn some new tricks (joking).

But, I’ve played pool for a while and I’ve seen my fair share of things weather it be out of ignorance or intentional to get a mental edge. What’s some things people do or say that bother you? I know it’s best to try to not let it bother you, but it does nonetheless.

Mine are:
- When your opponent is always right in front of your sight line on the shot.
-When there’s a lot of balls on the table and your opponent misses and says “there ya go.” As though it’s a privilege that you get an opportunity to shoot or that it’s easy. Always makes me want to say “thank you” and start racking.
-When instead of saying good game after a close race they just say “thanks” as though you were the easiest win of their life.

Best shark I ever had done to me was playing Terry Stewart 1pocket.

I was shooting my game ball, jacked up on the rail, and Terry was leaning on the table behind me. I'm just about to pull the trigger and I hear Terry behind me rooting around his pocket for a coin to flip for the next set and it totally got me, lol.

Lou Figueroa
jammed it straight
into the rail

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't read this whole thing so bare with me.
I look at "Shark Moves" as being distractions a player might make after the negotiation for a game.
Standing in front of the shooter, Whipping their cue off in plain view. Bringing in a 10 to sit and watch the game.
BS like that.

If you're talking about agreeing on the game rules? Don't consider that sharking.

I got busted by a well known player. I thought I had the nuts.
I was young and dumb.

Was I Sharked?
Maybe
If so, I got Sharked if the 2 players had an agreement to work the Side.
There was a large side bet ea game.

Young and dumb

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best shark I ever had done to me was playing Terry Stewart 1pocket.

I was shooting my game ball, jacked up on the rail, and Terry was leaning on the table behind me. I'm just about to pull the trigger and I hear Terry behind me rooting around his pocket for a coin to flip for the next set and it totally got me, lol.

Lou Figueroa
jammed it straight
into the rail
Unscrew your cue in front of your opponent or take out the $$ b4 the stroke.
Old as the hills.