Sharks International 9 Ball Open (24-29 July), Philippines, Prize Fund $100K

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a Matchroom nineballl ranking event
Field
Strongest field for a ranking event. At least 16 x800+ players. Not counting handful of less known players who are 800+ but do not have minimum number of games in Fargo yet like Mocaibat, Villafuerte
Though not as strong as the field for a major which typically has at least 2 dozen 800+ players

8x800+ international well known players (Big Ko, Lil Ko, Gorst, Yapp, Oi, Duong, Wu Kunlin, Chang Jung Lin) . Missing many international big names
8x800 Filipino players (Raga, Orcollo, Aranas, Banares, Lee Van, Johan Chua, Garcia, Biado). So many "unknown" Filipino players in the field who can play and upset some big name :LOL:

sharks1.jpg

sharks2.jpg

Live Stream at https://sharksbilliardleague.com/

891014+1

Can someone imagine other than a Philippine player winning it?! Gorst... Chang... Ko brother... Or will it definitely be a home town player lifting the trophy?

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can someone imagine other than a Philippine player winning it?! Gorst... Chang... Ko brother... Or will it definitely be a home town player lifting the trophy?

if a non-pinoy squeaks through this murderer's row it would be quite a feat

is it shark rules, with alternate break, push out etc?

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Day 1 Matches (Start 8 hours from now)

day1 1.jpg

day1 2.jpg

Live Stream on Matchroom Pool Youtube starting 1130am local time/ 1130pm EST

There is paucity of info regarding rules, prize money breakdown, online brackets. Presumably, rules will closely mimic Matchroom since this is Matchroom WNT event- which means winners break (i.e. no push or safe rule). :D

Smutzc

I just tuned in to watch and was totally confused… it was a race to 30 points ? I couldn’t understand how points were awarded ? Seemed like sometimes the winner stayed and a new person came in ?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just tuned in to watch and was totally confused… it was a race to 30 points ? I couldn’t understand how points were awarded ? Seemed like sometimes the winner stayed and a new person came in ?
You probably were watching one of their other events that is on the same channel. I don't think anyone has figured out the format, so don't sweat it:)

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this denise can make some serious damage on the women tour.. breaks well, very nice stroke and timing. not fargorated yet it seems

mista335

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That "30" is the 30 second shot clock.

Underneath it says "RACE TO 7".

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this denise can make some serious damage on the women tour.. breaks well, very nice stroke and timing. not fargorated yet it seems
Anyone see the 'concession' fiasco at the end of her match?

I think it was handled the right way by the referee/tournament director. Even if concessions are not technically allowed, if the opposing player makes any clear indication that they're conceding, then the match should be over. A monetary fine might be appropriate to dissuade concessions.

Pretty poor form for Nguyen in pocketing the 9 ball after she missed it, which was after he attempted to concede. As the commentator said, the classy thing to do would have been to hit the CB straight into the corner pocket.

Last edited:

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone see the 'concession' fiasco at the end of her match?

I think it was handled the right way by the referee/tournament director. Even if concessions are not technically allowed, if the opposing player makes any clear indication that they're conceding, then the match should be over. A monetary fine might be appropriate to dissuade concessions.

Pretty poor form for Nguyen in pocketing the 9 ball after she missed it, which was after he attempted to concede. As the commentator said, the classy thing to do would have been to hit the CB straight into the corner pocket.

that was my idea exactly, a monetary fine. or dock a rack in the next match. viet guy showed poor class in pocketing the 9 and also hanging around expecting a deciding rack. i suspect there would have been angry fans if it had gone any other way, he is in the philippines after all..

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm here in the PI now and will be doing commentary the last three days, during the SE Knockout Stage. There are a couple of dozen foreign players here, very good ones like the Ko bros. Gorst, Yapp, Chang Jung Lin and Chang Yu Lung from Taiwan, Oi, the Vietnamese contingent and some strong Aussies too. All the top Pinoys are in this field, plus 50 more very strong (solid .700+) players who are not well known here because they've never been to the USA. Watch for some big upsets.

Last edited: