Shaw 714 DVD

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You don't get paid per video view. Rather, you're paid for the times when someone watches or clicks on an ad shown on your video. Influencer Marketing Hub says that while payment varies, the average YouTube channel can expect to make about $18 per 1,000 ad views.7 days ago
$6/M is big money fwiw

Chicagoplayer

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
And you can record it for free
How many times would/could you watch it?
Did you learn anything about the finer points of playing straight pool?
Have you met me?

I’ve spent the last 15 years traveling the world to film professional pool and have watched my 700+ hours of footage at least 10 times-

I grew up watching legends of the sport.

And yes,
I have taken away many insights from watching the different disciplines, including 14.1.
😉

middleofnowhere

Registered
Have you met me?

I’ve spent the last 15 years traveling the world to film professional pool and have watched my 700+ hours of footage at least 10 times-

And yes,
I have taken away many insights from watching the different disciplines, including 14.1.
😉
I think you missed my point. That run along with the ones that are still up on their Facebook avalable to watch are a poor example of the discipline of straight pool.
It's a novility like a home run derby. A player will not learn the finer points of batting studying a home run derby. The problem with the video, and I saw it, is it has now educational value.

Chicagoplayer

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think you missed my point. That run along with the ones that are still up on their Facebook avalable to watch are a poor example of the discipline of straight pool.
It's a novility like a home run derby. A player will not learn the finer points of batting studying a home run derby. The problem with the video, and I saw it, is it has now educational value.
I though the 714 run was removed from Facebook.

I understand your point.

While it isn’t an actual game between 2 competitors, it certainly is educational and entertaining and not without its merit.

Last edited:

middleofnowhere

Registered
I though the 714 run was removed from Facebook.
I understand your point.

While it isn’t an actual game between 2 competitors, it’s certainly is educational and entertaining and not without its merit.
I just looked and they still have the other sessions on their facebook. I saw the big run when he did it. I am being completely honest, after seeing it once I doubt I would have any interest in seeing it again.
I have watched Don Larsen's perfect game a number of times. That is just different.

I watch pool on youtube all the time games I have seen many times. It is probably the reality of it that makes it so enjoyable even though you know the outcome. I have seen Mosconi play a number of times. Watching him run balls was was like listening to a symphony. I can't really think of an analogy to describe Jayson running balls, but it ain't pretty.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I think few pool players would want to sit through it. It is not like watching Segal, Martin, Varner run 150. Those are learning experiences. Just last night I watched Segal playing West on youtube. It was great, that is pool. Unfortunately this video is not straight pool. It is hard to identify it's value to a player in watching.
While I sort of agree with some of what you are saying, this IS straight pool. It's just not very instructional. There may be some nuggets here and there, but you have to really dig for them. I sat through an entire run by John Schmidt, which was over 400 balls. While it was entertaining, with insane shots every rack, I caught myself audibly gritting my teeth at times. What the hell was I supposed to learn from that video, I wondered. The answer is of course, nothing or at least very little, and maybe more general principles than concrete solutions. It's just a spectacle and somewhat entertaining at that. Not everything is supposed to be textbook. Shaw and Schmidt just played the game to their own strengths, which is what you have to do to get the best possible performance. They're good at making shots and have awesome touch, but planning is not really their strongest suits, so they play differently than the old greats. You can probably learn something, at least from Shaws rapid development of semi-decent pattern play in the latter stages of his attempts. He's not Sigel or Varner, but at least you can see, kind of, what works universally.

To a certain extent the textbook has been rewritten, at least on the easy tables. Theirs are, after all, the longest documented runs. Saying they're playing the game wrong sounds really stupid in that context. However, I suspect the person going for the high run on a super tight table might have to dust off the old textbook and read it cover to cover, because I can damn well guarantee that this circus stuff isn't going to fly on those. At a certain point of table difficulty, I believe the firepower won't be able to overcome the poor planning. I don't know what that point is, but I believe there is such a point. Others may disagree and think the straightest shooters will always be the best straight pool players. I don't agree, but dont' necessarily think it's a stupid sentiment, especially in light of these recent developments.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I struggle with how someone running 150 and out is more thrilling than watching someone run, what is in essence, 150 and out x4(+).

I believe some are just romantics and just can't publically annouce the reason behind the bias at risk of losing credibility.

You're not going to learn something special from a 150 and out, that you wouldn't from a high run attempt.

I'm one of the many that won't pay $125 to Jayson for his dvd package. I just don't care enough. That said, I hope he sells out in short order.

middleofnowhere

Registered
While I sort of agree with some of what you are saying, this IS straight pool. It's just not very instructional. There may be some nuggets here and there, but you have to really dig for them. I sat through an entire run by John Schmidt, which was over 400 balls. While it was entertaining, with insane shots every rack, I caught myself audibly gritting my teeth at times. What the hell was I supposed to learn from that video, I wondered. The answer is of course, nothing or at least very little, and maybe more general principles than concrete solutions. It's just a spectacle and somewhat entertaining at that. Not everything is supposed to be textbook. Shaw and Schmidt just played the game to their own strengths, which is what you have to do to get the best possible performance. They're good at making shots and have awesome touch, but planning is not really their strongest suits, so they play differently than the old greats. You can probably learn something, at least from Shaws rapid development of semi-decent pattern play in the latter stages of his attempts. He's not Sigel or Varner, but at least you can see, kind of, what works universally.

To a certain extent the textbook has been rewritten, at least on the easy tables. Theirs are, after all, the longest documented runs. Saying they're playing the game wrong sounds really stupid in that context. However, I suspect the person going for the high run on a super tight table might have to dust off the old textbook and read it cover to cover, because I can damn well guarantee that this circus stuff isn't going to fly on those. At a certain point of table difficulty, I believe the firepower won't be able to overcome the poor planning. I don't know what that point is, but I believe there is such a point. Others may disagree and think the straightest shooters will always be the best straight pool players. I don't agree, but dont' necessarily think it's a stupid sentiment, especially in light of these recent developments.
He is not the first to play like that. I have seen Balsis play a number of times. I was sitting 10 feet away when he beat Rempe in the US Open final. He shot break shots like he was breaking 9 ball. He won a lot but not with the consistency as many others of his day. That kind of play didn't always work.

Butara also played kind of reckless. I played him once in a 9 ball tournament when his rapid fire style wasn't working, he missed everything. We will have to see if Jayson takes off any straight pool tournaments in the future, it will be interesting. I don't know his record, he may already have won some in the past.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
And kudos to Bobby C for letting Jayson run with this (and make money) as opposed to trying to monetize it himself.
Right on. We didn't need any more evidence than we already had, but Bobby Chamberlain has shown that his Legends of 14.1 event was meant as a service to the game, no more and no less.

Bobby conceived of and financed an event to showcase the remarkable skills of the world's best players and streamed every single minute of it for free so that pool's fans could enjoy it. Now he's letting Jayson run with the video of the 714. Jayson's achievement is, in a small way, also Bobby's achievement.

Thanks, Bobby!

Last edited:

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How many times would/could you watch it?
Did you learn anything about the finer points of playing straight pool?

Not sure that was ever the point of this venture. It was about letting great players chase the record and provide some entertainment for fans at a reasonable cost. Pay the money or don't.... I don't care.

It has also served up as a place/thing for folks who enjoy being critical and complaining about everything for extended periods a place to get their fix.- a side benefit for some.
Have you met me?

And yes,
😉

I'm laughing because I know your background...but not in a creepy stalker kind of way.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Right on. We didn't need any more evidence than we already had, but Bobby Chamberlain has shown that his Legends of 14.1 event was meant as a service to the game, no more and no less.

Bobby conceived of and financed an event to showcase the remarkable skills of the world's best players and streamed every single minute of it for free so that pool's fans could enjoy it. Now he's letting Jayson run with the video of the run. Jayson's achievement is, in a small way, also Bobby's achievement.

Thanks, Bobby!
4 players hardly represent the world's best at 14.1, sorry😉

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
4 players hardly represent the world's best at 14.1, sorry😉
Yes, that's a fair point.

Still, the design was to have all players with elite competitive resumes that were interested attempt to beat the record. Several others who have yet to take a shot at it expressed interest in trying. Count me among those who were shocked that the record fell as soon as it did.

I think we'll see more attempts down the road by those who have yet to try, especially Gorst and Filler, who I believe are the most likely to break the new record. I think Orcullo might have a huge run in him, too, but I doubt we'll see him making any attempts anytime in the foreseeable future.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
There is a selfish nature to what you said. it depends what they are buying. The same guy who will spend $400.00 on himself for a shaft won't pay $10.00 to get in to watch a tournament.
I don't really get it, people are willing to spend $30 for chalk but PM if I could make a copy of a Jennifer Barretta movie that they can get for $10 from the APA. Now free on Amazon Prime.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Yes, that's a fair point.

Still, the design was to have all players with elite competitive resumes that were interested attempt to beat the record. Several others who have yet to take a shot at it expressed interest in trying. Count me among those who were shocked that the record fell as soon as it did.

I think we'll see more attempts down the road by those who have yet to try, especially Gorst and Filler, who I believe are the most likely to break the new record. I think Orcullo might have a huge run in him, too, but I doubt we'll see him making any attempts anytime in the foreseeable future.
Won't be on the same table that's for sure😉