Shaw team Europe

cycopath

Call me Banger.
Silver Member
Wasn’t Jayson applying for US citizenship years ago? Was he not approved? Just curious because of his involvement on the Team Europe MC team. I’m not sure of Matchroom’s rules , as far as eligibility goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wasn’t Jayson applying for US citizenship years ago? Was he not approved? Just curious because of his involvement on the Team Europe MC team. I’m not sure of Matchroom’s rules , as far as eligibility goes.

Its probably not come up yet, but he would be a dual national UK/US in that scenario and having already represented the UK/Europe/Scotland in competition would therefore logically be obliged to continue to represent those in team competition.

I'm just applying the logic most global sports do, however for single competition I think you can probably change so long as your registration and fees are up to date (Raj Hundal competed under the England/UK/Europe flag(s) then later under the India flag, but hasn't played a Mosconi since).

cycopath

Call me Banger.
Silver Member
Makes sense. I thought it might be a dual citizenship thing, but wasn’t sure.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Its probably not come up yet, but he would be a dual national UK/US in that scenario and having already represented the UK/Europe/Scotland in competition would therefore logically be obliged to continue to represent those in team competition.

I'm just applying the logic most global sports do, however for single competition I think you can probably change so long as your registration and fees are up to date (Raj Hundal competed under the England/UK/Europe flag(s) then later under the India flag, but hasn't played a Mosconi since).
I think the Mosconi Cup is not governed by the usual citizenship requirements, but ....

One international standard for representing a country in international competition is that if you change country, you must wait something like 5 years after your last representation of your old country before you can represent your new one.

Country switching is a problem in some sports when a country has little local talent but has a lot of money and eagerness to impress.

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the Mosconi Cup is not governed by the usual citizenship requirements, but ....

One international standard for representing a country in international competition is that if you change country, you must wait something like 5 years after your last representation of your old country before you can represent your new one.

Country switching is a problem in some sports when a country has little local talent but has a lot of money and eagerness to impress.

Yep a fair point, but I can't see any pool player willing to miss out on the event with the highest exposure for 5 years to represent a team that is on a horrific losing streak, so I'd wager he'll stick with Europe ;-)

Oze147

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well...I hate to say it, since losing Shaw to Team USA would definitely hurt, but this year at the World Cup of Pool Marco Teutscher, who was born in the Netherlands, was allowed to represent New Zealand, although he has represented the Netherlands in 2011.(I guess he is a dual national now)

Wu Jiaquing played at the World Pool Masters representing Taiwan and he played for China at the WCoP.

So even though Matchroom can pretty much make every rule they want, they already have allowed players to represent different countries in their events.

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
45105889_2262275634054073_6623592224795918336_o.jpg.............

Last edited:

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well...I hate to say it, since losing Shaw to Team USA would definitely hurt, but this year at the World Cup of Pool Marco Teutscher, who was born in the Netherlands, was allowed to represent New Zealand, although he has represented the Netherlands in 2011.(I guess he is a dual national now)

Wu Jiaquing played at the World Pool Masters representing Taiwan and he played for China at the WCoP.

So even though Matchroom can pretty much make every rule they want, they already have allowed players to represent different countries in their events.

That is exaplainable I guess in that the first scenario had a 7 year gap, so as Bob said it’s possible that would be more than enough time to qualify.

In the second scenario Politics may come into play, given the nations involved...although more likely the representation/qualification rules only matter in team competition, i.e. in singles play it depends which federation you’re registered with at that point.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Yep a fair point, but I can't see any pool player willing to miss out on the event with the highest exposure for 5 years to represent a team that is on a horrific losing streak, so I'd wager he'll stick with Europe ;-)

Not to mention he'd be burning $10,000 if he switched teams.
Jason

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member

IF America doesn't start defending itself in the Mosconi a little better, it won't last another three years before it gets cancelled/changed into something America does not participate in. It's better to get a smaller piece of the pie, than for there to be no pie at all to partake in.

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IF America doesn't start defending itself in the Mosconi a little better, it won't last another three years before it gets cancelled/changed into something America does not participate in. It's better to get a smaller piece of the pie, than for there to be no pie at all to partake in.

Absolutely, for the cup to continue this year has to be close, ideally with a US win, otherwise sooner rather than later the sponsors will get fed up.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Go by mailing address.

I wonder if given a choice how many Euro players that live in US (or at least half the time) would pick to play for the US. We talk like Jayson will play for the US but is not allowed, I am not so sure if he would if asked.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting selection process... I wonder where this year ranks within the past 6 or 7 for him.

Has there ever not been a player from the UK on team Europe... I suppose Darren would have been a stretch.

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Has there ever not been a player from the UK on team Europe...

Nope, always at least one from the UK (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland).

But 2017 was the first year without a player from England, and that will repeat this year.

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nope, always at least one from the UK (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland).

But 2017 was the first year without a player from England, and that will repeat this year.

There is virtually no infrastructure in place in the UK that allows players to flourish in the way that generated six world champions.
Daryl Peach, Karl Boyes, Darren Appleton, Mark Gray, Imran Majid and Chris Melling have all got World Championship credentials.

There are two tours in England that do not tour much. One is a 'pro tour' and one is an 'amateur tour'. Nobody can call themselves Pro in the pure money earning definition of the word because the prize funds indicate that the players are playing for their own money.

The Euro Tour is the most competitive tour in the world. But a semi final berth is required to make a net profit on your endeavors. Up to five nights at a mandatory premium rate hotel, plus flights, cabs, limited choice food all make a dent.

The city that I live in has has over 250,000 inhabitants and I can only muster up less than 10 foot pool tables. This 25,000:1 ratio is pretty typical for most other urban conurbations.

Jayson Shaw is our only true worldwide road warrior at the moment and he lives and plays in the USA.