Shipping Your Cue

Mike in MN

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've read a few threads about people who have suffered devastating losses when their equipment was damaged in the shipping process. This thread is for anyone who has ever shipped their cue or had a cue shipped to them. In today's world, I'm guessing that encompasses 99% of this forum.

I'll give you the long and short of it, people. I work for one of the major shipping companies (probably shouldn't say which one) as a supervisor. I oversee the handling and processing of literally thousands of incoming and outgoing packages per day, and I will tell you this: pack your cues VERY WELL if you're going to ship them. This is not to say things are being purposely mishandled, but most warehouses operate under suffocating time constraints, thus, care and delicacy have a tendency to be sacrificed.

Most packages that go through our system are on two or three different trucks, and/or two or three different airplanes in a 24-hour period in order to get them where they are going. They get handled by several people, and to be quite honest, some people just don't care.

What I would suggest if you are going to ship your cue:

-Overdo it. However much precaution you think you need to take, take more. Using those triangular tubes is fine, but wrap your cue in bubble wrap first. Stuff newspaper at one end of the tube, put your cue in, and FILL the remainder of the tube with newspaper, paper shreddings, packing peanuts, more bubble wrap, anything. Make it so you can shake that tube with a vengeance and not disturb your cue.

-Consider enclosing your cue in some kind of hard tubing (like PVC pipe) and then using a triangular shipping tube. Again, the less the cue moves when you shake it, the better. Wrap it in old towels if you have to.

-Use a lot of tape to seal the edges of your box.

-Never, ever, EVER, tape two of those triangular tubes together to ship anything. I can't tell you how many times I see one half of a tube go down the conveyor belt with the other half trailing 30 feet behind it because it separated.

-Get insurance on your shipment. Declare its value when you ship it. Keep your receipt.

-You can write things like "Fragile" on there, but you have to understand that thousands of packages being handled, thus making it understandable that no one stops to read every package. Also, everyone writes that on their package. Package handlers become desensitized to the word "fragile" quite quickly. What I would suggest is writing 'FRAGILE - GLASS" and "DO NOT BEND" on it. No one wants to accidentally break glass at work, it's a nightmare. People are always cautious when they think there's glass in a box.

-If you are getting a cue sent to you, plead with the shipper to use the precautions I have outlined here. Offer them more money to ship it overnight or two-day. Don't worry about spending an extra $15 on shipping to protect the $600 cue you just bought. You'll be glad you spent the extra money now as opposed to spending it to ship it back because it's broken.

-Don't ever have your cue sent with a ground service. It'll sit in trucks for the better part of a week, and you'll be lucky if it gets to you in one piece. Some of those ground services are union, and the drivers are plain barbarians who just don't care.

-Bottom line, after it's all shipped up, you should be able to throw that box down a flight of stairs with no worry of harm to the cue. That's your rule of thumb for how well you should package your cue.

Sorry this got a little long, but if it even helps one person avoid the heartbreak of a $2000 cue that arrives as a pile of splinters, then it was worth it.

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
I, too, used to work for a major ground carrier...FedEx Ground/Home Delivery. I will agree that time constraints are part of the problem. Most every one of their Package Handlers are limited to no more than 25 hours a week...meaning actually, 24.99 hours....less than 5 hours a sort. Considering that most morning sorts start at 2am to 7:30-8:00am...well, you figure it out. It doesn't help that often the sorts will run over, however, if you go over the 25 hours in a week, they want you to 'roll' your extra hours over to the next pay period, and then starts that vicious cycle. Needless to say, you often have overworked, underpaid, pissed-off package handlers handling YOUR package. To say that they don't care is a bit of an understatement.

I worked in the QC Dept, and part of my duties was to inspect the damaged packages and file a Damage Report for each one. I have to disagree on the broken glass thing...these guys don't care...they just pass it on until it gets to it's final destination. I cannot even begin to tell you how many times my hands got cut up inspecting packages with broken glass in them. No, it's not supposed to happen, but it does, with frightening frequency. The difference is that with this carrier, the drivers are subcontractors and own their own rigs. The damaged packages rarely make it to the customer because the drivers are 'dinged' for every damaged or missing package that they deliver, so they won't. Also, many of these drivers can be lazy, and if you live in an 'outlying' area, your package could sit on the terminal floor for days...I have seen some sit for over two weeks!! Which is still better than sitting in a leaky, wet trailer for a couple of days...I have re-packed more wet boxes than I care to even think about!

The problem is that there is absolutely NO incentive for these package handlers to do a better job. They are lucky if they receive a raise at 90 days...and after that....never. You will never rise any further within that organization unless you have at least an AA degree...and then, that is no guarantee. Someone lasting more than a year or two is pretty uncommon...very high turnover rate.

That is the Ground side of things. I know that on the Express side...you better check to see if your Zip Code is in what they consider to be an 'outlying' area...even if it really isn't. If it is, there is no point to paying for Overnight service, as those Zip codes are kicked out of the system in Memphis, and held for an extra day before making the plane....they do not even try....of course, they do not tell you this while you're plunking those extra bucks down, and good luck getting a refund.

While I am not a big fan of Brown...they typically damage more packages than FedEx Ground...at least they will actually deliver an Overnight package overnight. Also, they do not have separate organizations handling Ground and Overnight, as does FedEx.

On the customer service side...both pretty well suck, but at least FedEx actually hires and trains it's own CS reps....Brown has it contracted out. I cannot even begin to tell you how many times I have been out and out lied to by an alleged Brown CS rep....they're positively abysmal.

I was with Ground for over 4 years and saw and/or handled almost every aspect of that side of FedEx. The whole experience left me quite jaded to shipping companies in general...you're not really getting what you're paying for...the service gets progressively worse while the big wigs get fatter.

Package your items to survive being thrown from one end of the terminal to the other, without a catcher at the other end. Package it to survive the turns on the belt...hell, just package it to survive period. And my last piece of advice is this.....if you receive a package where the outside is damaged, DO NOT ACCEPT the shipment...or at the very least, open it in front of the driver...make them wait, they will not want to...and inspect the condition of the item(s) inside in front of them. It is extremely difficult to get a satisfactory damage claim paid once the customer has received the item and signed for it...make them take the item back to the terminal for a damage inspection, and request a copy of that form. Also make sure to try and get pics before the driver leaves with it. The driver will likely not be terribly cooperative, because they are on a DOT time constraint themselves....too many packages to deliver in too little time on the road.

I hope at least some of this firsthand insight helps others avoid shipping disappointments in the future.

Lisa

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
A PVC Tube that will cost you 3-4 Bucks at a Hardware Store inside a Shipping Triangle offer GREAT Protection. But if a TRUCK RUNS over you Package, you better have Insurance, and Proof of VALUE!

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
A PVC Tube that will cost you 3-4 Bucks at a Hardware Store inside a Shipping Triangle offer GREAT Protection. But if a TRUCK RUNS over you Package, you better have Insurance, and Proof of VALUE!

Excellent point.....however, people should be made aware that in the case of FedEx, you cannot buy insurance. You can pay extra for a 'Declared Value' on the package. That does not guarantee that you will receive that amount back should damage occur. The proof of that value will be strictly upon you or the shipper to provide. Also, the package had better been packed to FedEx's specs, or you could well be a$$ out. Take plenty of digital pics, as this can go a long way in helping to settle your claim.

Lisa

mr_griff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Packaging techniques

OB cues has a page on their website for returns. They have a little different theory on how to package a shaft (or cue for that matter). Its completely opposite of the technique posted to start this thread. I have to say I can see their point, which is essentially to wrap the cue with some bubble wrap and use a triangular tube. The trick is to leave as much space in the package as possible. This will allow the package to bend without stressing the cue. Anything that bends the package enough to overcome the space inside the box was going to break the cue anyway. Interesting approach. Being that I work with PVC all the time (electrician) I can see that being an even better idea, but if you are just using traditional packaging its something to consider. Check out OB's site for more details.

Mike in MN

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know that on the Express side...you better check to see if your Zip Code is in what they consider to be an 'outlying' area...even if it really isn't. If it is, there is no point to paying for Overnight service, as those Zip codes are kicked out of the system in Memphis, and held for an extra day before making the plane....they do not even try....of course, they do not tell you this while you're plunking those extra bucks down, and good luck getting a refund.

That isn't true at all. With Express, there are three different kinds of overnight shipments. First Overnight, which is suuuuper expensive, but delivery is guaranteed by 8:30 am the next business day (there is almost no reason to ever have to use this service for shipping a cue, although it's a popular option for hospitals, law firms, courthouses, and things like that); Priority Overnight, in which delivery is guaranteed by 10:30 AM the next business day; and Standard overnight, in which delivery is guaranteed by 4:30 PM the next business day. Some areas do not qualify for the First Overnight or Priority Overnight, depending on how far away from the receiving ramp they are, but something like 98% of populated America is able to receive Standard Overnight shipments. There are very few instances where a recipient would be unable to receive a shipment in one day were the shipper so inclined. And it's policy for all customer service employees to explain this to any inquiring customer. There is no incentive for any one employee to withhold or manipulate this information in any way. (Gee, I guess the cat's out of the bag on which company I work for ... ;))

Furthermore, any damage incurred to your package while in transit is the responsibility of the company with whom you shipped it with. They know it, you know it, you just need to let them know that you know it. Properly package your items, and declare a value (or get insurance if you're using USPS), and taking pics of it wouldn't hurt. That way, if incidental damage does occur, it is solely their responsibility and you have a much better possibility for a full refund.

Mike in MN

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Use registered mail.

I'll let you in on yet another secret ... The US Postal Service contracts out the air transit of their overnight, priority, express, and registered mail to FedEx Express. So whether or not you ship through the post office or a FedEx location, it's going on the same plane no matter what. The only difference is the uniform of the person bringing it to your doorstep. Use whichever carrier you feel more comfortable with.

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
That isn't true at all. With Express, there are three different kinds of overnight shipments. First Overnight, which is suuuuper expensive, but delivery is guaranteed by 8:30 am the next business day (there is almost no reason to ever have to use this service for shipping a cue, although it's a popular option for hospitals, law firms, courthouses, and things like that); Priority Overnight, in which delivery is guaranteed by 10:30 AM the next business day; and Standard overnight, in which delivery is guaranteed by 4:30 PM the next business day. Some areas do not qualify for the First Overnight or Priority Overnight, depending on how far away from the receiving ramp they are, but something like 98% of populated America is able to receive Standard Overnight shipments. There are very few instances where a recipient would be unable to receive a shipment in one day were the shipper so inclined. And it's policy for all customer service employees to explain this to any inquiring customer. There is no incentive for any one employee to withhold or manipulate this information in any way. (Gee, I guess the cat's out of the bag on which company I work for ... ;))

Furthermore, any damage incurred to your package while in transit is the responsibility of the company with whom you shipped it with. They know it, you know it, you just need to let them know that you know it. Properly package your items, and declare a value (or get insurance if you're using USPS), and taking pics of it wouldn't hurt. That way, if incidental damage does occur, it is solely their responsibility and you have a much better possibility for a full refund.

Seriously, check 98273, and it's in the Overnight area...then check 98235, and it is not. The difference in distance is a block. The only way I have found around this, is to have it shipped to the terminal and held for pick-up...and I get it early in the day. :wink: The only time this has failed me is the one time when there was very severe weather in the Memphis area two days in a row...and nothing was really getting out...not west anyways.

I am sure some things have changed since I was with them...but I still have friends who work there in various locations in the country, and some things still have not. Not slamming them, just sharing my firsthand knowledge.

Lisa

strokerace

"The Hustler"
Silver Member
Shipping is a nightmare!!

I use the round shipping tube..bubble wrap where it just slides in snug..
then i use only UPS and have them put it in one of their boxes as well..
and put plenty of insurance..($3 a Hundred)..tubes can't run down their
convayers so they are handled by hand..by using USP box it actually saves
money and the handlers seem to know these are insured/packed by UPS..
since doing this i have not had one problem..average cost from Ohio to California with $800 insurance..$21 in insurance $4 for box..$4 for tube..
and $15 shipping..$44 bucks..but man its worth it!!!!...lol