Should pool be fun or work?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
+1

I also think you are not 29 years old as you say you are judging by your posts. It's almost like you/pangit/pocketpoint/thethaiger/english etc. are all very simliar attention seeking individuals who like to stir pots, avoid the important questions asked, and continually make threads that make people want to chew their arms off while responding to you...I guess you got the attention part down pat.

interesante.

I do not peg the Thaig or English in that group...but wtf do I know? I only care about InI.

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
Fun or work?

In my estimation, pool should be primarily work. Surely you may encounter short instances of fun along the way, but the overall experience should be classified as work.

Look at the faces of Dynamite, The Kaiser, The Hitman, The Pearl, The South Dakota Kid, The Fireball, The Scorpion, The Terminator, and you tell me if it looks like they are having fun to you.

Fun and work are not mutually exclusive.
This is a key to becoming a player.

Thebigtexan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fun or work differs with me depending on what I am doing, I use the word "enjoyment" instead of fun. When I force myself to go practice 4 nights a week, for 3-4 hours to work on fundamentals, I consider it work. I have to WORK to get to where I want to be, and the level at which I am comfortable. On the flipside, when I get in my zone, and pocketing everything I see, I get a good amount of enjoyment from it, as well as the people I meet. I can both love and hate this game at times, depending on how fast I learn and how well I feel I do, but the next day I always come back. So for me I guess a little of both is good in order to appreciate how far you have come.(I still have loooong way to go):thumbup:

oldplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
working at the game brings "fun" (enjoyment) to me....i don't get to pactice evryday as in the past...now only 2-3 hours of practice a week and the rest is play....the other night comes to mind....playing an 8 ball match.and race to 4...he wins the lag and misses...i win the next 4 gamea without realizing it...when i sunk the 8 i was getting the balls out of the pocket and he comes over to me with his hand extended saying "great shooting"....i did't even reaalize i had won all those games...luckily another one of those times "in the zone"...now that brings nothing less than happiness, fun & enjoyment!

whitewolf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my estimation, pool should be primarily work. Surely you may encounter short instances of fun along the way, but the overall experience should be classified as work.

Look at the faces of Dynamite, The Kaiser, The Hitman, The Pearl, The South Dakota Kid, The Fireball, The Scorpion, The Terminator, and you tell me if it looks like they are having fun to you.

Pool should be both work and pleasure. SVB does all that work so he can shine like a star in real play. Yes, to me it looks like they ARE HAVING FUN. Maybe it took more work to get to this point, but to suggest they are not having fun is ludicrous. This is why players often retire too early - they cease to have fun anymore.

Same for baseball or any sport. Or even for musicians.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
I've been playing the game for fifty six years now. I try desperately to have fun. And fun it is till I approach the table. Something clicks and I'm a different person. Not always happy with that person but I've tried so hard to change him. Just doesn't seem to work. Not going to give up trying.

Another poster on AZ e-mailed me wanting to understand what my "hit balls in anger" comment meant on another thread. As Chris mentioned in his original comment on this thread, look at the faces of the players, do you see anything but anger on their faces?

Lyn

Bob Callahan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been playing the game for fifty six years now. I try desperately to have fun. And fun it is till I approach the table. Something clicks and I'm a different person. Not always happy with that person but I've tried so hard to change him. Just doesn't seem to work. Not going to give up trying.

Another poster on AZ e-mailed me wanting to understand what my "hit balls in anger" comment meant on another thread. As Chris mentioned in his original comment on this thread, look at the faces of the players, do you see anything but anger on their faces?

Lyn

It may be what makes you a good player. Changing it might ruin your game. I know a player who is two balls better when he's ticked off--and then there are some folks who couldn't hit the side of a barn with a cow when they're mad. Getting them there without getting shot is part of the fun....

Banks

Banned
look at the faces of the players, do you see anything but anger on their faces?

I've had people tell me that I look mad when I'm down on a shot or something. I guess that's just how I look when I'm shooting. It's hard to look like a complete goofball when you're trying to focus. I put in my 40 hours each week, so I take my fun seriously!

kanecalgary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Look at the faces of Dynamite, The Kaiser, The Hitman, The Pearl, The South Dakota Kid, The Fireball, The Scorpion, The Terminator, and you tell me if it looks like they are having fun to you.[/QUOTE]

I also use the word "enjoyment" for when I play pool. I do have "fun" playing golf on the snooker table, scotch doubles, money ball, any game where there is woofing and multiple players to interact with.

Are there any sports where the players look like their having a blast when competing?

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do love playing at Malarkey's but I'll admit that I have a few booty calls in Tacoma as well.