Should pros be allowed to rob amateur events?

vapoolplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I feel spreading the prize money out could be a good solution....
...too much top-heavy payouts in this game.

In golf, the winner usually gets less than 20% of the total purse.
In pool, I hear a lot of requests for top-heavy payouts....
...by the players that think they’re going to get them...:rolleyes:
..even though they’re ensuring the tournament’s demise...it’s akin to canabalism.

...and pick the top players and put a bonus on them....
...so that it becomes a mark of honor to overcome one...and profitable.

We need events that emphasize that getting better is a GOOD thing.

That wouldn’t work either. There’s not enough money to spread around. You’d see good players stop showing up for tournaments that weren’t right around the corner as the carrot isn’t big enough.

There is nothing that can really be done to help pool until either people evolve back to watching pool or someone comes up with a billiard game that draws attention.

Everything else is just rearranging the cans before kicking them down the street

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe the pro winning is way easier to accept if the pro carries themself in a dignified manner and has time for the dead money. If the pro doesnt win they need to lose with dignity.

Carolina_Giant

Perfection=Serenity
Silver Member
I don't know how long I would go without ever cashing, that does get frustrating.
I do think I would keep playing, even if it is a race for second, but I would probably have something to say if the local tournament gets robbed by the same guy every week.

You're right!

We've run into this sometimes locally also. So a new rule was created: You win the weekly tournament, you have to sit out for a week. No splits allowed either, have to play the race out. It's been a great change so far.

Monthly's not much you can do there unless you wanted to implement a similar rule, but I feel like a month should be sufficient time to practice your game and get ready.

Baxter

Out To Win
Silver Member
We had the Tournament of Champions over at Stiix Billiards in Ventura this past weekend. This is a biannual event that the room owner Jerry "Baby Huey" Matchin throws to give back to the local pool community. It's a handicapped event with a $25 entry that includes a free BBQ, door prizes, raffles, etc. Not your typical tournament. No one has been barred from participating.

This past weekend, Vilmos showed up to play. The place was buzzing, we had a legit pro playing in our little local shindig. We have a little calcutta with a $10 entry and a pill bottle to determine the picking order, highest finisher takes the entire pot. I drew #1, so of course I chose Vilmos. Well, this douchebag ran through the tournament, won the hot seat match, and forfeited with 8 players left because it was too early to chop and he didn't want to wait around. He showed up, robbed the place, and didn't even have enough respect to play out the tournament. Made us feel like a cheap ATM stop. Left a pretty bad taste in my mouth getting the shaft on the calcutta, but I felt worse for the room and everyone else.

I lost all respect I ever had for him.

vapoolplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We had the Tournament of Champions over at Stiix Billiards in Ventura this past weekend. This is a biannual event that the room owner Jerry "Baby Huey" Matchin throws to give back to the local pool community. It's a handicapped event with a $25 entry that includes a free BBQ, door prizes, raffles, etc. Not your typical tournament. No one has been barred from participating.

This past weekend, Vilmos showed up to play. The place was buzzing, we had a legit pro playing in our little local shindig. We have a little calcutta with a $10 entry and a pill bottle to determine the picking order, highest finisher takes the entire pot. I drew #1, so of course I chose Vilmos. Well, this douchebag ran through the tournament, won the hot seat match, and forfeited with 8 players left because it was too early to chop and he didn't want to wait around. He showed up, robbed the place, and didn't even have enough respect to play out the tournament. Made us feel like a cheap ATM stop. Left a pretty bad taste in my mouth getting the shaft on the calcutta, but I felt worse for the room and everyone else.

I lost all respect I ever had for him.

Sounds like he needs to be barred(for being a douche, not his skill level).

Make a rule that you have to play out the tournament to get paid. Also, never let the winners side play so much faster so that you have that many still on the losers side.

Last edited:

Baxter

Out To Win
Silver Member
Sounds like he needs to be barred(for being a douche, not his skill level).

Make a rule that you have to play out the tournament to get paid. Also, never let the winners side play so much faster so that you have that many still on the losers side.

He was spoken to by the room owner before he left. I'm sure there will be a rule change in future events of some sort. I don't mind playing pros, but the lack of respect was ridiculous.