• No

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Maybe

Votes: 8 6.4%

• Total voters

Shaft

Hooked and Improving
Silver Member
IMO, you have everything to gain and nothing to lose by watching.

Your opponent's shot selections, especially if quirky, could reveal weaknesses in skill or strategy that could be exploited.

Is he avoiding banks? Is he playing aggressive when there was a good safety? How did he execute on his shape? Is he missing thick, or thin? Speed problems? Or, Is he a really good player just getting a few bad rolls?

Observation can be an edge. JMO.

i pay close attention, but I try not to let my opponent know that I am. My eyes may not be glued to the table but i am watching! :grin:

Last edited:

Hector3cushion

Hector
Silver Member

Your opponent's shot selections, especially if quirky, could reveal weaknesses in skill or strategy that could be exploited.

Is he avoiding banks? Is he playing aggressive when there was a good safety? How did he execute on his shape? Is he missing thick, or thin? Speed problems? Or, Is he a really good player just getting a few bad rolls?

Like all the reasons above. Also you learn when you are playing a better player. How they get shape: 1, 2 or 3 rails. Draw vs follow, very hard vs very soft, etc.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shaft...I agree. Here's another one...a player's facial expressions can reveal a lot. For instance, if they show a lot of emotion about a particular shot or leave (i.e.: leaving the CB frozen on the rail), you can use that knowledge against them, and deliberately leave them on the rail as much as possible. Just one example...you showed others.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Watch, study, learn, exploit. Everybody has weaknesses, they're easy to spot. Watch for when he tries to duck on a shot that he should have taken a swing at and shots he misses when an obvious safety was available. Look for shots he misses that seem pedestrian to you...then nail him with it. Unless he plays one pocket, then you're screwed.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

well said. I agee.

skierlawyer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I usually like to watch, not so much to see their weaknesses to exploit but rather to learn. When playing someone better, you can learn new ways around the table. When playing someone worse, you can think about how you would get out and when they shoot a dumb shot, you can see the results and re-enforce your knowledge. I watch for fouls when playing all-fouls too. All this being said, if watching is keeping my mind engaged I do it, if it is annoying because they slow play, I don't watch.

skierlawyer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If a beautiful women is playing nearby, thats usually what I watch. Sometimes even when its my shot.

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Would you not pay attention to how other players are playing in poker? What if an opponent struggles with thin cuts to the right? Without watching you wouldn't know it! Some people get down hearted when watching an opponent play well, or take their foot off the gas when they're playing poorly. But the pros far outweigh the cons for watching IMO.

Also, you should always be looking at the table figuring out the best way to run out if your opponent misses because shot clocks suck!

Ģüśţāṿ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Im sorry but this shouldn't even be a question (the pole proves it so far). I believe it's very important to watch your opponent. You can learn a lot about them through their manorisms (sp?) and facial expressions. :eek:

Goldcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Watch

A lot can be learned from what others do well, and what they do not do well. Visualize in your mind there shot selection and shots , compared to how you think you would have played it, and before you know it, you're learning and getting better even when you're in the chair.

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If your opponent takes 5 minutes on every shot like one guy from New York...no you shouldn't watch him. It'll just drive you crazy because you'll never figure out what he's thinking. I think it's his way of sharking.

I mean he takes 5 minutes on easy shots where you shouldn't have to think.

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
Perhaps the question should be, what exactly are you watching when your watch your opponent?

Personally, I like to watch their pattern play and plan out the rack myself as they shoot and notice our difference in choices. You can learn a lot doing this against good players, but there's always a chance to learn something new, no matter the skill level of the opponent. And if I do get a chance at the table, I will already have a plan in mind, and all I have to do is step up and execute.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Correct me if I'm wrong but I'd say about 99.999% of the matches played by azb members are not refereed. Or should I say, YOU are the referee for your opponent! YOU HAVE TO WATCH! When I play in the finals of the US Open and I've got a few thousand eyes on the set, I'll post to this thread how I didn't watch my opponent. Until that day (don't hold your breath), I'm going to keep an eye on things and make sure everything is legit.

As to gaining knowledge, I'd agree somewhat. When my opponent is struggling, it gives me confidence. I don't compete a whole lot and when I do, I often find myself playing someone I don't know. If that guy makes a mistake that a player that normally beats me doesn't make, I'm going to feel a little more relaxed when I have a challenging shot. As well, if I see him doing things that are above my pay-grade, I might be a little more thoughtful when dubious situations arise.

cmbwsu

Pool Stream Advocate
Silver Member
I voted yes, not only for the many reason those who voted likewise mentioned above, but for the conditions as well. It helps to know if a table is fast/slow, how the rails are responding to banks, kicks, etc. ... these observations can contribute largely to the mental preparation--especially at those times when one could/did not have a chance to practice on the equipment beforehand. Once you see "it" you can be ready/make adjustments for "it".

I sometimes have to employ what I would call a "variable yes" ... those times when my opponent is, shale we say, going through a lot of antics to try and throw my game or mental process off. At those times I start turning his/her (body language/verbiage) off and strictly observe the equipment aspects. Those types will observe you closely to see your reaction(s) and, whilst doing so, see that "it ain't working". Ofttimes at this point they will cease and desist.

<The latter it is much harder to do when the opponent is/like any of these :rolleyes:>

framedglasshadd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I voted yes, but there are two cases where I guess I would say otherwise (sort of). The first being the obvious, if you play in tournaments with an audience or referee. I actually don't know how it works, but I guess you don't really have to watch out for your opponent trying to pull a fast one. Even so, it would, I think, be beneficial to observe his or her playing habits anyway. The second case is where I am playing with a good friend and I'm eating. In this case, I sometimes sit down after my turn to eat a few bites.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I don't like to, but I'll study them enough to get a sense of what hard shots they specialize in vs. what hard shots they can't handle.

Whenever I play a tough shot and I wanna play it as a 2-way, it's useful to know whether my best option is to leave them long or leave them a bank. There are a couple of guys where leaving them any bank into the side is a sellout. There are some guys where leaving it long is fine and others who just shoot too straight. I like noting when a guy attempts full table banks, it's a huge sellout almost every time so I'll make sure to leave them plenty.