Shut up or put up -- 90 degree "impossible" cut-shot

Peer

Norwegian in California
Silver Member
JoeyA said:
That's not the tune from Mission Impossible is it? :D

That would be suitable as well, since this shot is really mission impossible -- but the actual title of the tune relates more to the object-ball Bob was using -- the piece is called Take Five, written & played by Dave Brubeck, a local jazz musician, (it has a cool & unusual time signature of 5/4). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaSKh1PSqok

-- peer

DoubleA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bob Jewett said:
I suspect that Efren didn't cut the object ball 93 degrees with inside English. I'm guessing his was about an 80-degree cut which still looks more or less impossible.

Note that with the cue ball in the jaws of the corner pocket and the object ball on the spot (as in the video), it is more than a 90-degree cut to make the ball in the other corner pocket. I think that's not possible with inside and I'd pay to be proven wrong.
Bob, I have seen Vernon do it this way many times on a bar table. I don't know about the english, but the cueball was deep in the corner pocket. He would also do it from side to side with the OB on the spot.(I think it's the same shot)

Last edited:

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nostroke said:
So i guess the often written "you cant throw a thin cut" is pure bs?

you said it right!
You will be surprised to see the amount of throw u can get if u elevate the cue stick 5-15 degrees and smack the whitie at 5 `O clock position.You may try it at 3`o clock but it may overthow and the object ball may miss the pocket.For these semi masse inside english shots I coined the term ' reverse cowboy' to describe my aiming system. 'reverse cow boy' is one of the three components of my 'Red Neck Aiming system'. hope to see u in the near future.Cheers

Last edited:

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
vagabond said:
you said it right!
You will be surprised to see the amount of throw u can get if u elevate the cue stick 5-15 degrees and smack the whitie at 5 `O clock position.You may try it at 3`o clock but it may overthow and the object ball may miss the pocket.For these semi masse inside english shots I coined the term ' reverse cowboy' to describe my aiming system. 'reverse cow boy' is one of the three components of my 'Red Neck Aiming system'. hope to see u in the near future.Cheers
Ok, now I see what you're talking about. Sure this can be done by using inside english. In my opinion this is a different shot completely. Now you are making the cue ball believe it came from a different location. It is bending toward the object ball with the masse.

Peer

Norwegian in California
Silver Member
vagabond said:
you said it right! You will be surprised to see the amount of throw u can get if u elevate the cue stick 5-15 degrees and smack the whitie at 5 `O clock position.

But that's antithetical to what this shot's about, or as Bob puts it "that the cue stick is touching the rail at contact so it is level": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaSKh1PSqok

-- peer

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Peer said:
But that's antithetical to what this shot's about, or as Bob puts it "that the cue stick is touching the rail at contact so it is level": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaSKh1PSqok

-- peer

I was only addressing the issue on 90 degree cut shots.keeping the cue stick touching the rail is more of the nature of proposition bet because the existing rules in pool for 8 ball,9 ball and one pocket do not mandate that the cue stick be touching the rail.

I have been having problems with my lap top for viewing the youtube`s or any video clips.Yesterday I was finally able to have glimpse (for few seconds)of the shot set up by Bob.that was not the shot I had in my mind when I made my comments.I was mostly referring to the Shot made by Effren in the recent past.only last night I realized that the shot set up by Bob is not the same shot Effren made.I take the responsibilty for my erroneous assumption on the position of the shots.
:cool:

Last edited:

Peer

Norwegian in California
Silver Member
vagabond said:
I have been having problems with my lap top for viewing the youtube`s or any video clips. Yesterday I was finally able to have glimpse (for few seconds)of the shot set up by Bob. that was not the shot I had in my mind when I made my comments.

It's about 2 minutes into the video where Bob makes this shot:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaSKh1PSqok
But early on he makes an even more impressive cut, but goes short (if the object ball had gone a bit further, it would've actually over-cut the pocket -- just friggin' amazing).

-- peer