Shy No Mo'

skiergirl55

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello, Shy But Wants To Play here, after a long hiatus.

I've learned a few things, got a little better, learned some more, and I'm still playing pool!

I'm down to one day a week now, BCA 8 ball. I became a tax preparer and this was my second year for H&R Block, and if there is a God, I won't be working for them next year. I love tax work, but the company is just so wrong that I don't want to go there again.:(

But, I went to Lincoln City OR for the BCA Regional 8 Ball Tournament this March and took first place in the Womens Novice division. Big Whoop there, but I did get a nice trophy and next years fees paid, and I'm sure my picture will be in the tourney rag. I went undefeated till the battle for 1st place, and it's a long story, but I intentionally lost the first match for a reason. Easily took the second match 4-1 for the win. I had my reasons.;)

Big mistake, though.....I had to win on a bank shot. The object ball is sitting near the head rail and I'm all the way down table on the footspot. Banked it all the way back down and in so clean it was nothin' but net, if you know that term, and I was so excited I lost my head and jumped up and down nearly shouting YES! YES! YES!:happydance:

My opponent was less than amused and I felt badly for displaying overly obvious enthusiasm, but Damn, that felt good to finally WIN something instead of come in, well, below First Place.

I'm a much better player than I used to be, and my shot selection has improved, making the game more exciting. I've SLOWED DOWN quite a bit. Phyllis Fernandez gave me some advice about that (she plays in our bar, too....we were the only 2 to bring home wins for our little bar....she in Masters Women division yet again). She said, "We've got nothing else to do here, why rush anything?"

Profound. Slow down. It made a huge difference.

I did win a game against Phyllis that following Monday at league, but to her credit she was tired and I wasn't. Had she been rested, I would have been creamed. Again, that felt Good. Like Jonny Lang sez, "It ain't no shame in Beatin a Master." Or something like dat dere.

How ya'll been? I haven't been here in a while, and miss all the Chatter.:cool:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Good win...it's nice when the game tells you that you did something right.

But we got time for a story...why did you lose the first match in the final?

poolrod

I like old school
Silver Member
Congratzzzzzzzzzzzz. Lincoln City is a blast. Phyllis plays great. I'll be there in October for 9 Ball. Rod.:thumbup:

Last edited:

skiergirl55

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
poolrod...:groucho: But of course. Scott....yeah, Black Diamond. It's a pretty good room for this town.

Okay, pt109. Here's the pitiful story.

The first round with my opponent was touch and go. I won, but 4-3, so it was close, and she went to the loser bracket. Her strategy took me a while to get, because she couldn't bank or do anything tougher than just straight in shots. I'm thinking, 'She's winning and I'm a better shooter. What am I doing differently?"

She'd make an easy shot or two, then park her ball in front of the pocket, wait for me to miss the hard shots she'd set up for me, then park another ball in front of a pocket......soon there are only 3 pockets open to me. GENIUS, really. She was making me play modified One Pocket (yeeps). I had to admire that.

But I won, narrowly, and had time to kill. She had to play 2 other people before playing me again (at 7 pm). I know she was getting tired, so while I was goofing off, practicing and laying low, she's still playing. Advantage, me.

We meet at 7pm, and I play defense a lot, miss a lot on purpose, and let her walk through the first match. It's double elimination, and I haven't been on the loser side yet, so I'll get another shot at it.

I suppose a smarter move would be to just win again, but I was having fun. Remember fun? And this was Womens Novice, and who cares about that?:p

Last match started at 8:15 pm, all or nothing now, I'm feeling fresh and good, and I stop playing defense and start out of the gate playing offensively, playing my opponents strategy (which took her by surprise), and while I did lose one to a scratch on the 8, it was nice to watch her struggle with the same crap she was giving me before. She couldln't handle the banks and combos I'd leave her. If I didn't have a shot, I'd purposefully hit her ball and freeze 3 together and give her ball in hand, knowing she couldn't make any of them.:scratchhead:

Bang bang bang bang and I'm done, and she didn't know what hit her. By the third game, she was even missing easy stuff.

Pool is mental, and I brought my mental game. Feels so GOOOOOD!

poolrod

I like old school
Silver Member
poolrod...:groucho: But of course. Scott....yeah, Black Diamond. It's a pretty good room for this town.

Okay, pt109. Here's the pitiful story.

The first round with my opponent was touch and go. I won, but 4-3, so it was close, and she went to the loser bracket. Her strategy took me a while to get, because she couldn't bank or do anything tougher than just straight in shots. I'm thinking, 'She's winning and I'm a better shooter. What am I doing differently?"

She'd make an easy shot or two, then park her ball in front of the pocket, wait for me to miss the hard shots she'd set up for me, then park another ball in front of a pocket......soon there are only 3 pockets open to me. GENIUS, really. She was making me play modified One Pocket (yeeps). I had to admire that.

But I won, narrowly, and had time to kill. She had to play 2 other people before playing me again (at 7 pm). I know she was getting tired, so while I was goofing off, practicing and laying low, she's still playing. Advantage, me.

We meet at 7pm, and I play defense a lot, miss a lot on purpose, and let her walk through the first match. It's double elimination, and I haven't been on the loser side yet, so I'll get another shot at it.

I suppose a smarter move would be to just win again, but I was having fun. Remember fun? And this was Womens Novice, and who cares about that?:p

Last match started at 8:15 pm, all or nothing now, I'm feeling fresh and good, and I stop playing defense and start out of the gate playing offensively, playing my opponents strategy (which took her by surprise), and while I did lose one to a scratch on the 8, it was nice to watch her struggle with the same crap she was giving me before. She couldln't handle the banks and combos I'd leave her. If I didn't have a shot, I'd purposefully hit her ball and freeze 3 together and give her ball in hand, knowing she couldn't make any of them.:scratchhead:

Bang bang bang bang and I'm done, and she didn't know what hit her. By the third game, she was even missing easy stuff.

Pool is mental, and I brought my mental game. Feels so GOOOOOD!

Very cool. I like it. Nice Trophy pic too.

skiergirl55

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh Lord. Don't post it here. Old ladies are not cool on this forum. I'm 26, ya know.:wink:

PC_John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh Lord. Don't post it here. Old ladies are not cool on this forum. I'm 26, ya know.:wink:

Ladies are kinda scarce around here. Young, old, in between, skinny, fat, in between all good. Just one old guys opinion of course. ;)

Gratz on your win and I like the way you write. Can feel the energy. :)

skiergirl55

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why are you still awake? tee hee I cracked a molar and I had it extracted today. So I can't sleep, got no good drugs. Ahr.

That picture is truly ...me. Tax season is over for this girl. Damn Skippy.

skiergirl55

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm over posting, overly bored, and it's 2:30 am. I guess I could go watch the sun come up in about 4 hours. It's sunny in Florida, isn't it? What's for breakfast (that I can't eat)?

poolrod

I like old school
Silver Member
I'm over posting, overly bored, and it's 2:30 am. I guess I could go watch the sun come up in about 4 hours. It's sunny in Florida, isn't it? What's for breakfast (that I can't eat)?

Ham and cheese omlet. Very soft ham.

skiergirl55

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Throw the omelette in a blender and gimme a straw. My jaw feels like hamburger. I'm such a girl.:rolleyes: Nighto!

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Welcome back!

I noticed your posting in a different thread before I found this one, and commented that it was great to see you back here again.

Big congrats on the win! Awesome stuff!

Hope you feel better soon.