SIMONIS FUZZ

rharm

Registered
It's very concerning. Simonis is the gold standard and their product isn't cheap. Even if you get a new cloth for free the installation is in the hundreds of dollars.
I had a bad batch about a year ago. My installer took care of getting a replacement piece and I believe Simonis reimbursed him for the install. I didn't have to pay anything when he put the new stuff on

ari04s

I had a bad batch about a year ago. My installer took care of getting a replacement piece and I believe Simonis reimbursed him for the install. I didn't have to pay anything when he put the new stuff on
Did you talk to Simonis directly or did your installer help you to get everything sorted out? Just asking to see what should I do next.

DeadStick

i like turtles
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks to a suggestion from @boogieman in the smaller Simonis Fuzz thread, after I reported that I tried to shave my Simonis fuzz with a Gillette Mach 3 razor with no effect, I ordered this $13 fabric pile shaver on Amazon, and received it this morning.

Well, it works! I spent around 20 seconds on a 4" diameter section of my cloth, and here are pics of the result. The two cues point to the left and right boundaries of the area I shaved, and you can see the fuzz that got shaved in the razor's clear plastic reservoir. It's going to take a good amount of time to do the whole table, but I think this is probably the best way to salvage the defective cloth that I got installed last October, so I'll be able to save my replacement cloth for when I wear this one out.

IMG_5905.jpeg

IMG_5904.jpeg

ari04s

Thanks to a suggestion from @boogieman in the smaller Simonis Fuzz thread, after I reported that I tried to shave my Simonis fuzz with a Gillette Mach 3 razor with no effect, I ordered this $13 fabric pile shaver on Amazon, and received it this morning.

Well, it works! I spent around 20 seconds on a 4" diameter section of my cloth, and here are pics of the result. The two cues point to the left and right boundaries of the area I shaved, and you can see the fuzz that got shaved in the razor's clear plastic reservoir. It's going to take a good amount of time to do the whole table, but I think this is probably the best way to salvage the defective cloth that I got installed last October, so I'll be able to save my replacement cloth for when I wear this one out.

View attachment 741822
View attachment 741823
Could you report how it plays once you get the whole table? Believe it or not I have one of those and before I found this thread I searched on Google if it was a good idea to do this. Pretty much every answer said no haha but to be fair I doubt many people have done this before and are just playing it safe.

DeadStick

i like turtles
Gold Member
Silver Member
Could you report how it plays once you get the whole table? Believe it or not I have one of those and before I found this thread I searched on Google if it was a good idea to do this. Pretty much every answer said no haha but to be fair I doubt many people have done this before and are just playing it safe.
Sure, I'll report. But just looking at the results, I think it's safe to say that the area I shaved looks a hell of a lot closer to what Simonis cloth should look like.

DeadStick

i like turtles
Gold Member
Silver Member
Finished shaving my table. Went through about 20 utility knife blades and took around two hours total.

Here’s a short video showing the best method I found:

What it looks like when you’re doing it:

IMG_5995-compressed.jpeg

EL'nino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am currently going thru this with Simonis. Simonis told me that the "authorized dealer" that I bought my cloth from "didn't get it from them?
Still working on it.

EL'nino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, I’m trying to get the most use out of the fuzzy cloth that I can. Table looks and plays fine now.
I have run over mine with a lint roller a hundred times. Took off a ton. But still not happy with it. The cloth on the rails seems to be getting real dirty looking, like they hold more dirt with the fuzz. There's no way in hell you should be able to shave that much off of a top brand cloth.

DeadStick

i like turtles
Gold Member
Silver Member
Wow that's a ton of material coming off. Did you find this method to be better than using the fabric shaver?
Yes, using a utility blade was far faster than using the fabric shaver and did a more thorough job.

Johnson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I sell preowned clothes and wool is one of my main specialties, I use the exact same fabric shaver as DeadStick with rechargeable batteries and it's by far the best fabric shaver but it has a guard like hair clippers to limit the depth it shaves. I would try to use a lint roller on a small part of the cloth to raise it up before using anything to shave cloth for efficiency. Mainstays generic Walmart brand (in a big roll) will remove debris/fabric better than any others and I'd ASSUME the more fabric you shave the amount of pilling should be less and less over time. A shaver is most efficient with some slight pressure and going side to side then up and down.