as an added bonus (to me...:smile:)
what do you use to clean your table

thanks in advance to those that reply

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
There have been a couple of threads.

Either it is the best thing since sliced bread or it is way overpriced and you would be a fool to buy it; just use a free microfiber cloth from your local Shell station (free with $100 fill-up).

The opinions fall somewhere in between. If you get one let me know if its worth it, I've been waiting for the final review before I pull the trigger.

Webbs Billiards

Billiards Dealer
Silver Member
I'll sell you one for about $85 including shipping. MSRP is $105, and Simonis dictates the price. I have been so busy lately I haven't had a chance to get everything up on the website. I'll put the X1 on there tonight.

Last edited:

Bambu

Dave Manasseri
Silver Member
I like mine alot. Looks like a rip off but it does work well, collects chalk dust. I prefer it over foams, sprays, vacuums, and damp cloths. Its not meant to be pushed into the cloth, you only slide it across. The sliding creates static electricity which somehow attracts the chalk. The X-1 has some weight to it but it slides easy.....not tiresome at all. (You only rub if theres a big chalk or powder streak.)

My only knock on this product is that its only about 4-5 inches wide. I sense a wider, X-2 model coming out soon.

Last edited:

Bluey2King

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder how it will work on older cloth (860) or should I invest when I get my table recovered? Also waiting for more reviews.

To Webbs Billiard: Thank you that is a nice offer!

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
i know its expensive

does it work??
is it easy on your hand/arm??

personal experiences and comments appreciated

as an added bonus (to me...:smile:)
what do you use to clean your table

thanks in advance to those that reply

I bought one...the x-1 felt cleaner is nice to have in a pool hall
when you don't want to disturb games in progress.
But the real work is done with a vacuum cleaner....
..with a crevice tool and an upholstery attachment...
http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...8r6wsZ_IGW7StvI4A&sig2=M7Iv8yLAeTjIpHrsnPYnZQ
This is all you need for your home table.

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
I have one. It works good on Simonis cloth. I have also found that a micro fiber cloth works just as good. I fold the cloth into a pad and wipe down table. A cloth gives a larger cleaning surface. The table will still require a vacuum job occassioanly as neither will pick up lint, large chalk pieces and etc.

Try a micro fiber cloth. I wipe my table off after every couple of racks and whenever there is a large chalk streak like after a break. I also use orange chalk even though my cloth is blue. This helps to see where the chalk is and I can be sure that it is removed. My table is still blue after a year 18 months of using a micro fiber cloth.

Last edited:

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The table will still require a vacuum job occassioanly as neither will pick up lint, large chalk pieces and etc.

When I got my table it came with a good brush. The installer said to brush the stuff toward the pockets, where it will fall through onto the floor. Problem is that the brush is stiff-bristled and pulls up some fine nap-like fibers on cloth I paid dearly for to avoid nap in the first place.

I've been using a high-quality horsehair bench brush instead. It has softer hairs in it, plus they are longer so they bend a bit and don't affect the fiber in the cloth. A light flicking action seems to move the big stuff right along to the pockets.

After a thorough brushing, I've been using the Swiffer floor cleaning pads to great effect to remove chalk and other fine dust. At first I thought it was taking the color out of the cloth, but then I realized it was actually getting stained from the green chalk I've been using. If I use a second one, I don't see so much green on it, so the green must be from the chalk.

Also, when I go over an area with the Swiffer, I can see that the spruce green cloth is a darker color than the area I haven't gotten to yet. It's pretty dramatic in the right light, so I guess it works OK.

Problem is that the fine rayon fibers sometimes come out of the Swiffer and get caught in the weave of the cloth. They are hard to see and tough to pick out by hand, and I am afraid they will accumulate if I let them go.

I think I'm gonna spring for the X-1 in the interest of having the best playing cloth for the longest time. It's a lot of money for what it is, but I spent over $90 last night on dinner with the wife. The X-1 will endure a lot longer than that raspberry-glazed duck did.

Txstang1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just bought one and they are junk for the price. For $20-25 I would have been ok with my purchase.

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Problem is that the fine rayon fibers sometimes come out of the Swiffer and get caught in the weave of the cloth. They are hard to see and tough to pick out by hand, and I am afraid they will accumulate if I let them go.
That is the same problem I had with the Swiffer. I was pretty excited seeing how much dust they picked up until I noticed the left over fibers. I couldn't have JA over to play, too many for even him to pick off!

Now I just vacuum and then brush.

Last edited:

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just bought one and they are junk for the price. For $20-25 I would have been ok with my purchase.

What, they don't really work, or you're just pissed about the cost like everybody else? I can swallow my pride and pony up the 90 clams, but I was hoping it worked as advertised.

Txstang1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What, they don't really work, or you're just pissed about the cost like everybody else? I can swallow my pride and pony up the 90 clams, but I was hoping it worked as advertised.
No it works for the chalk only, but it's not some amazing tool or anything. You still have to go over it several times and it still needs to be brushed afterwards.

So I gues if keeping the chalk off of the slate is über important ( which it isn't,IMO ) then it's worth it.

I'm upset that I ordered it on a whim and didn't research it further before hand. If I knew then what I know now, I would save the $89.00.

Scaramouche

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have one.
Happy

The price should be compared to a good table brush plus an underrail brush.
Then the price gap isn't nearly as big :D
Toss in a vacuum cleaner and it is a bargain.
No bristles to come out.
Probably last far longer than a brush.
Far lighter and and more compact that a vacuum cleaner :D
You can keep it in your case and do a quick cleaning of any table you encounter.

X-1 has a flat surface,
Unlike a bunched up microfibre cloth, contact is uniform over the entire surface.
Gets under rails.
Comfortable handle
Easy to use - just light pressure

Diagrams on this page do not represent a 9 ft table.
http://www.simonis-x1.com/page/p/2/l/3/use.html
A 9 ft table takes 8 passes lengthwise. :D
Not brushing, just passing the thing over the cloth.

Last edited:

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
If you are considering this tool to replace vacuuming, don't bother. After all, the Simonis instructions for cleaning the X-1 is to vacuum it. :D

Webbs Billiards

Billiards Dealer
Silver Member
I wouldn't recommend vacuuming Simonis cloth with anything stronger than a dust vac. It's mostly wool, which can stretch locally. Cleaning the X1 with a vacuum is a lot different than having a soft ripple in your felt that won't go away. I'm sure plenty of folks have always done it and never saw any problems. The X1 is designed to clean Simonis cloth without damaging it. If you wanna guess on the long term effects? Look at a dryer lint filter after you dry some towels. Now look at how thin your cloth gets after a few years of vacuum... That's not caused by 2 1/4" balls rolling around.

Combs84

Cue Abuser
Silver Member
the poolhall i frequent just got one. i help the girls clean up sometimes at the end of the night.

These things clean the tables great but they create a buncha little balls of iunno dirt. still seem like youd have to brush after. i prefer the brush even though it takes more elbow grease.

Lewie

Registered
I've been using one on my 860 cloth since December and really like it. I still have to lightly vacuume occasionally, but for the most part, it does a nice, quick job. Worth the $$ IMO.

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now look at how thin your cloth gets after a few years of vacuum... That's not caused by 2 1/4" balls rolling around.

I'm not so sure that's true. I've played on some pretty crappy bar boxes with paper-thin felt as slick as Ralf Souquet's head. I doubt a vacuum ever touched those tables, just good hard wear and tear from playing over the years.

Good to know about the vacuum, though. I was considering taking my HD Fein shop vac to my cloth. You may have just saved the world from a thousand new curse words being invented.