Simple Breakdown of a fu#$ed up road trip.

crawfish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, this won't take five minutes.

Left town at 5:03.

Arrived in Bennettsville, SC. around 7:30.
First Bar...kids. Not a nickel bet. Beer tab..$7.00

Second bar...closed.

Third bar...Private club (They must have thought we were ALE because noone would sign us in.)

Fourth bar...I was here looking for a specific guy. Let's call him Melvin. Well, Melvin lost $1200 four months ago to a friend of mine that was giving him the eight. Well, guess what. Melvin had eye surgery and noone had seen him for two months. Beer tab ... $12.00

We moved on to Rockingham, very frustrated by the way.

First bar...4 people. Beer tab...$6.00 Sent to the Road House.

Second bar (the Road House) $10.00 cover due to band. The place had two bartables, so it was promising. Ask me if anyone bet a dime. Just ask me. You know the answer. Beer...$12.00

Got lucky and found a poolroom. They were playing races to 5 for $10. I hit ten balls and offered the eight. No way, no how. Beer..$5.00

We moved on to "near Sanford" ( I don't want the names or places to show up on this part of the story). I called "Alan" who owns a poolroom, and asked if he wanted to play some. "Sure, we're packed. Come on up."
I get there and there is fifteen people total. "I'm the only guy to play around here. You know I like action. After we close, we'll get it on." After hearing this, I know he's known to play ten hours straight, so we check into the motel and head back at around 2:00am when he closed so we could "get it on."
"Twenty or forty a game?"
"Sure, twenty." He said.
After realizing I could give him weight, I asked to raise the bet to fifty. "Not yet." I was two games hooked after about four or five games. After he declined, I win two in a row. "Thanks, I enjoyed it." He quit. I truly don't think he thought we'd come back, and really didn't want to play and get beat in front of the ten people that stayed to watch. Oh well, off to the hotel. Beer...$26.00

Sunday morning. Hung over and still pissed. Off to Fayettville.

Not but about five players in King St. I asked at least three. "No, we don't gamble." (Right after I asked, they played a ring game for $5 and $5 amongst themselves) I love this poolroom, by the way. Awesome. We were just there too early. There's plenty of players there. Beer...$10 ish.

Bar One in Fayetteville. No action. Beer $12.00

Bar Two. Eight ball for one beer. Scratched on the eight. Whatever. It was a tough cut and the ball went two rails and juuuussssst curved to the left to scratch in the corner. I asked to play again, and "no thanks" was the answer. They had the best stew there, though. Free too! Beer including the one my dumbass had to buy.. $15.00

Bar Three Eight Ball for $2 a game. I am playing lefthanded to practice. I break even. This guy starts talking a little trrrraaaash. I basically told him I would give up the six and switch hands. I don't even think he understood. Oh well. Screw it. I want to go home. Beer...$10.00

Exhausted and totally disheartened, I get home. I am now practicing in front of the mirror daily. I am gonna be a 42 year old Backstreet Boy. I am formally giving up looking for action for at least a two week period.

By the way, all of this within a 28 hour period.
 
Last edited:
crawfish said:
Well, this won't take five minutes.

Left town at 5:03.

Arrived in Bennettsville, SC. around 7:30.
First Bar...kids. Not a nickel bet. Beer tab..$7.00

Second bar...closed.

Third bar...Private club (They must have thought we were ALE because noone would sign us in.)

Fourth bar...I was here looking for a specific guy. Let's call him Melvin. Well, Melvin lost $1200 four months ago to a friend of mine that was giving him the eight. Well, guess what. Melvin had eye surgery and noone had seen him for two months. Beer tab ... $12.00

We moved on to Rockingham, very frustrated by the way.

First bar...4 people. Beer tab...$6.00 Sent to the Road House.

Second bar (the Road House) $10.00 cover due to band. The place had two bartable, so it was promising. Ask me if anyone bet a dime. Just ask me. You know the answer. Beer...$12.00

Got lucky and found a poolroom. They were playing races to 5 for $10. I hit ten balls and offered the eight. No way, no how. Beer..$5.00

We moved on to "near Sanford" ( I don't want the names or places to show up on this part of the story). I called "Alan" who owns a poolroom, and asked if he wanted to play some. "Sure, we're packed. Come on up."
I get there and there is fifteen people total. "I'm the only guy to play around here. You know I like action. After we close, we'll get it on." After hearing this, I know he's known to play ten hours straight, so we check into the motel and head back at around 2:00am when he closed so we could "get it on."
"Twenty or forty a game?"
"Sure, twenty." He said.
After realizing I could give him weight, I asked to raise the bet to fifty. "Not yet." I was two games hooked after about four or five games. After he declined, I win two in a row. "Thanks, I enjoyed it." He quit. I truly don't think he thought we'd come back, and really didn't want to play and get beat in front of the ten people that stayed to watch. Oh well, off to the hotel. Beer...$26.00

Sunday morning. Hung over and still pissed. Off to Fayettville.

Not but about five players in King St. I asked at least three. "No, we don't gamble." (Right after I asked, they played a ring game for $5 and $5 amongst themselves) I love this poolroom, by the way. Awesome. We were just there too early. There's plenty of players there. Beer...$10 ish.

Bar One in Fayetteville. No action. Beer $12.00

Bar Two. Eight ball for one beer. Scratched on the eight. Whatever. It was a tough cut and the ball went two rails and juuuussssst curved to the left to scratch in the corner. I asked to play again, and "no thanks" was the answer. They had the best stew there, though. Free too! Beer including the one my dumbass had to buy.. $15.00

Bar Three Eight Ball for $2 a game. I am playing lefthanded to practice. I break even. This guy starts talking a little trrrraaaash. I basically told him I would give up the six and switch hands. I don't even think he understood. Oh well. Screw it. I want to go home. Beer...$10.00

Exhausted and totally disheartened, I get home. I am now practicing in front of the mirror daily. I am gonna be a 42 year old Backstreet Boy. I am formally giving up looking for action for at least a two week period.

By the way, all of this within a 28 hour period.
Man alive, thats is a bit of a downer. I mean what the heck was going on? other than places being closed or not letting you in? You must have looked too good when you were playing and scared them off. Either that or there was just no action cos everyone is broke.
Well I hope your next trip is better.
 
crawfish said:
Well, this won't take five minutes.

Left town at 5:03.

Arrived in Bennettsville, SC. around 7:30.
First Bar...kids. Not a nickel bet. Beer tab..$7.00

Second bar...closed.

Third bar...Private club (They must have thought we were ALE because noone would sign us in.)

Fourth bar...I was here looking for a specific guy. Let's call him Melvin. Well, Melvin lost $1200 four months ago to a friend of mine that was giving him the eight. Well, guess what. Melvin had eye surgery and noone had seen him for two months. Beer tab ... $12.00

We moved on to Rockingham, very frustrated by the way.

First bar...4 people. Beer tab...$6.00 Sent to the Road House.

Second bar (the Road House) $10.00 cover due to band. The place had two bartable, so it was promising. Ask me if anyone bet a dime. Just ask me. You know the answer. Beer...$12.00

Got lucky and found a poolroom. They were playing races to 5 for $10. I hit ten balls and offered the eight. No way, no how. Beer..$5.00

We moved on to "near Sanford" ( I don't want the names or places to show up on this part of the story). I called "Alan" who owns a poolroom, and asked if he wanted to play some. "Sure, we're packed. Come on up."
I get there and there is fifteen people total. "I'm the only guy to play around here. You know I like action. After we close, we'll get it on." After hearing this, I know he's known to play ten hours straight, so we check into the motel and head back at around 2:00am when he closed so we could "get it on."
"Twenty or forty a game?"
"Sure, twenty." He said.
After realizing I could give him weight, I asked to raise the bet to fifty. "Not yet." I was two games hooked after about four or five games. After he declined, I win two in a row. "Thanks, I enjoyed it." He quit. I truly don't think he thought we'd come back, and really didn't want to play and get beat in front of the ten people that stayed to watch. Oh well, off to the hotel. Beer...$26.00

Sunday morning. Hung over and still pissed. Off to Fayettville.

Not but about five players in King St. I asked at least three. "No, we don't gamble." (Right after I asked, they played a ring game for $5 and $5 amongst themselves) I love this poolroom, by the way. Awesome. We were just there too early. There's plenty of players there. Beer...$10 ish.

Bar One in Fayetteville. No action. Beer $12.00

Bar Two. Eight ball for one beer. Scratched on the eight. Whatever. It was a tough cut and the ball went two rails and juuuussssst curved to the left to scratch in the corner. I asked to play again, and "no thanks" was the answer. They had the best stew there, though. Free too! Beer including the one my dumbass had to buy.. $15.00

Bar Three Eight Ball for $2 a game. I am playing lefthanded to practice. I break even. This guy starts talking a little trrrraaaash. I basically told him I would give up the six and switch hands. I don't even think he understood. Oh well. Screw it. I want to go home. Beer...$10.00

Exhausted and totally disheartened, I get home. I am now practicing in front of the mirror daily. I am gonna be a 42 year old Backstreet Boy. I am formally giving up looking for action for at least a two week period.

By the way, all of this within a 28 hour period.

Welcome to pool in America, circa 2009. :confused:
You want action, come to DCC.
 
Man sounds like you should have switched your nights up. On Saturday night at King Street they had the Cape Fear Amateur Championship tourney(Sydney Champion and Larry Faulk split the cash). The normal cast of players were there including their backers looking for action. Friday and Saturday nights at King Street almost anyone can find a game. That ring game that went on most likely included the owner no doubt and thats how that group gets down they like passin 5s to each other year round.
 
mikeyfrost said:
Man sounds like you should have switched your nights up. On Saturday night at King Street they had the Cape Fear Amateur Championship tourney(Sydney Champion and Larry Faulk split the cash). The normal cast of players were there including their backers looking for action. Friday and Saturday nights at King Street almost anyone can find a game. That ring game that went on most likely included the owner no doubt and thats how that group gets down they like passin 5s to each other year round.
That's the first thing the owner told me. I'd missed out. Those guys are pretty tough action, though. Not that I wouldn't play, it's just that I would like to find something that wasn't quite so tough.
 
Neil said:
I know how you feel crawfish. I gave up looking for any action in bars around here a couple years ago. I was in a bar, and some guy asked me if I wanted to gamble. I had already seen him shoot, and he couldn't make 3 balls in a row, so I told him I'd play for a dollar. (cost 75 cents to play a game at the time) He then told me that he didn't want to bet that high! That was the end for me.

lol...
I had a guy ask me to play for drinks in a local bar, and just outta curiosity I asked what he was drinking. He said Jager-bombs. I went and bought him one (before we played), and said, sure, why not. He asked what I was drinking, and I said fountain soda, and refills are free, just give the bartender a $1 tip each time....I won the first two games (barbox 8ball), and he suddenly had to go. (although I saw him gabbing it up with buddies an hour later). $2....pretty pricey!!

The only reason I think he stepped up in the first place is a buddy and I where playing banks (for fun) and trying some outlandish shots (and missing frequently).
 
Last edited:
Neil said:
I know how you feel crawfish. I gave up looking for any action in bars around here a couple years ago. I was in a bar, and some guy asked me if I wanted to gamble. I had already seen him shoot, and he couldn't make 3 balls in a row, so I told him I'd play for a dollar. (cost 75 cents to play a game at the time) He then told me that he didn't want to bet that high! That was the end for me.
What were you trying to do, high-roll the guy?
 
Crawfish, your story is very familiar to me. To many road trips end up being expensive drinking journeys. If you find a place with B-level players willing to bet high, I'm sure you'll let us all know where it is, right? We won't tell anyone. Honest.
 
Sorry about the trip Crawfish, some days it goes like that.

This past Sat. night, after playing a little pool, I went to watch a friends band. When I walked in, a guy I know asked me to put quarters up and play some pool. I said, nah, and went walking thru the bar looking for some girls. When I get back up by the pool tables, he asked me to play again, so I said I'll play one or 2 games. 4 guys playing on the next table. I goofed of with my friend and let him shoot like 4 times, leaving him tough or tying up his balls. One of the guys on the next table makes some comment to him about wanting to play for some money, and he tells them no, but I'd play for whatever they want.
This big tall guy comes over and wants to play for $10. I racked em up, and went to make sure we're playing league rules, and he says, "no, we're playing no slop, call everything." I tell him I ain't playing those stupid bar rules of calling kisses off balls and that short rail crap. So I sent him back to his table. He came back a few games later to play for nothing and i ran out on him.
I REFUSE TO GAMBLE WITH ANYONE, I'M SURE I WILL HAVE TO EITHER ARGUE WITH OVER A SHORT RAIL, OR FIGHT IN THE PARKING LOT OVER A $10 BET.
With that said, anyone wanna play some short rack banks at the AZ room. I'm giving money away next week. Touring pro's excluded from this offer. And you too Bankin' B
 
I guess I came across a little bitter. It's just that all of those places I stopped at used to have all kinds of $5-$100 a game action. Occasionally you'd run into someone that could put a rack or two together, but not often. Those days are gone.
 
crawfish said:
Well, this won't take five minutes.

Left town at 5:03.

Arrived in Bennettsville, SC. around 7:30.
First Bar...kids. Not a nickel bet. Beer tab..$7.00

Second bar...closed.

Third bar...Private club (They must have thought we were ALE because noone would sign us in.)

Fourth bar...I was here looking for a specific guy. Let's call him Melvin. Well, Melvin lost $1200 four months ago to a friend of mine that was giving him the eight. Well, guess what. Melvin had eye surgery and noone had seen him for two months. Beer tab ... $12.00

We moved on to Rockingham, very frustrated by the way.

First bar...4 people. Beer tab...$6.00 Sent to the Road House.

Second bar (the Road House) $10.00 cover due to band. The place had two bartables, so it was promising. Ask me if anyone bet a dime. Just ask me. You know the answer. Beer...$12.00

Got lucky and found a poolroom. They were playing races to 5 for $10. I hit ten balls and offered the eight. No way, no how. Beer..$5.00

We moved on to "near Sanford" ( I don't want the names or places to show up on this part of the story). I called "Alan" who owns a poolroom, and asked if he wanted to play some. "Sure, we're packed. Come on up."
I get there and there is fifteen people total. "I'm the only guy to play around here. You know I like action. After we close, we'll get it on." After hearing this, I know he's known to play ten hours straight, so we check into the motel and head back at around 2:00am when he closed so we could "get it on."
"Twenty or forty a game?"
"Sure, twenty." He said.
After realizing I could give him weight, I asked to raise the bet to fifty. "Not yet." I was two games hooked after about four or five games. After he declined, I win two in a row. "Thanks, I enjoyed it." He quit. I truly don't think he thought we'd come back, and really didn't want to play and get beat in front of the ten people that stayed to watch. Oh well, off to the hotel. Beer...$26.00

Sunday morning. Hung over and still pissed. Off to Fayettville.

Not but about five players in King St. I asked at least three. "No, we don't gamble." (Right after I asked, they played a ring game for $5 and $5 amongst themselves) I love this poolroom, by the way. Awesome. We were just there too early. There's plenty of players there. Beer...$10 ish.

Bar One in Fayetteville. No action. Beer $12.00

Bar Two. Eight ball for one beer. Scratched on the eight. Whatever. It was a tough cut and the ball went two rails and juuuussssst curved to the left to scratch in the corner. I asked to play again, and "no thanks" was the answer. They had the best stew there, though. Free too! Beer including the one my dumbass had to buy.. $15.00

Bar Three Eight Ball for $2 a game. I am playing lefthanded to practice. I break even. This guy starts talking a little trrrraaaash. I basically told him I would give up the six and switch hands. I don't even think he understood. Oh well. Screw it. I want to go home. Beer...$10.00

Exhausted and totally disheartened, I get home. I am now practicing in front of the mirror daily. I am gonna be a 42 year old Backstreet Boy. I am formally giving up looking for action for at least a two week period.

By the way, all of this within a 28 hour period.

How long did you stay in these places? I used to stay most of the night in a place and make things happen. Usually giving up weight if I had to. If a place is known for action you have to stay there maybe a day or two. You also need a line on the places you are going. Just walking in and looking for people to play can be a waste of time. You hit a place, find the pool detective and get the scoop on the place. They will trap their friends just to show you how smart they are.

Here is the bottom line on going on the road. You go because for a change no one knows how you play. If you just want to drink and match up, stay home and play your friends. In your case even if you lose it would be cheaper. I can't get past all the drinking you were doing. That make no sense at all.
 
Last edited:
jay helfert said:
Welcome to pool in America, circa 2009. :confused:
You want action, come to DCC.

Reminds me of the guys who are always saying "There is no action". Of course they never go where the players are for fear of having to actually play someone who can play.
 
Thanks for the chuckle...try to look on the bright side. I mean, it sounds like you helped out the economy by keeping a brewery or two busy! :D
 
macguy said:
Reminds me of the guys who are always saying "There is no action". Of course they never go where the players are for fear of having to actually play someone who can play.
I match up with most everybody around here. I definitely did not hit these spots trying not to play somebody that can play. I'm no champion, but I'm not completely helpless. I once made three in a row.
 
crawfish said:
I match up with most everybody around here. I definitely did not hit these spots trying not to play somebody that can play. I'm no champion, but I'm not completely helpless. I once made three in a row.
You really need that extra gear to go on the road and make money. You need to be able to give up weight. When the guy quits you have to have an offer for him to bleed a little more out of him. I used to do a funny thing sometimes. I would ask players in the place for weight right up front. It was rare you didn't get the response, "Why should I give you weight, if you want to play some play even". Of course that is all I want to do in the first place. The object is to get the guy to the table. You can beat even the biggest "Nit" in the place out of something once you have him on the table.
 
Road Trip

crawfish said:
Well, this won't take five minutes.

Left town at 5:03.

Arrived in Bennettsville, SC. around 7:30.
First Bar...kids. Not a nickel bet. Beer tab..$7.00

Second bar...closed.

Third bar...Private club (They must have thought we were ALE because noone would sign us in.)

Fourth bar...I was here looking for a specific guy. Let's call him Melvin. Well, Melvin lost $1200 four months ago to a friend of mine that was giving him the eight. Well, guess what. Melvin had eye surgery and noone had seen him for two months. Beer tab ... $12.00

We moved on to Rockingham, very frustrated by the way.

First bar...4 people. Beer tab...$6.00 Sent to the Road House.

Second bar (the Road House) $10.00 cover due to band. The place had two bartables, so it was promising. Ask me if anyone bet a dime. Just ask me. You know the answer. Beer...$12.00

Got lucky and found a poolroom. They were playing races to 5 for $10. I hit ten balls and offered the eight. No way, no how. Beer..$5.00

We moved on to "near Sanford" ( I don't want the names or places to show up on this part of the story). I called "Alan" who owns a poolroom, and asked if he wanted to play some. "Sure, we're packed. Come on up."
I get there and there is fifteen people total. "I'm the only guy to play around here. You know I like action. After we close, we'll get it on." After hearing this, I know he's known to play ten hours straight, so we check into the motel and head back at around 2:00am when he closed so we could "get it on."
"Twenty or forty a game?"
"Sure, twenty." He said.
After realizing I could give him weight, I asked to raise the bet to fifty. "Not yet." I was two games hooked after about four or five games. After he declined, I win two in a row. "Thanks, I enjoyed it." He quit. I truly don't think he thought we'd come back, and really didn't want to play and get beat in front of the ten people that stayed to watch. Oh well, off to the hotel. Beer...$26.00

Sunday morning. Hung over and still pissed. Off to Fayettville.

Not but about five players in King St. I asked at least three. "No, we don't gamble." (Right after I asked, they played a ring game for $5 and $5 amongst themselves) I love this poolroom, by the way. Awesome. We were just there too early. There's plenty of players there. Beer...$10 ish.

Bar One in Fayetteville. No action. Beer $12.00

Bar Two. Eight ball for one beer. Scratched on the eight. Whatever. It was a tough cut and the ball went two rails and juuuussssst curved to the left to scratch in the corner. I asked to play again, and "no thanks" was the answer. They had the best stew there, though. Free too! Beer including the one my dumbass had to buy.. $15.00

Bar Three Eight Ball for $2 a game. I am playing lefthanded to practice. I break even. This guy starts talking a little trrrraaaash. I basically told him I would give up the six and switch hands. I don't even think he understood. Oh well. Screw it. I want to go home. Beer...$10.00

Exhausted and totally disheartened, I get home. I am now practicing in front of the mirror daily. I am gonna be a 42 year old Backstreet Boy. I am formally giving up looking for action for at least a two week period.

By the way, all of this within a 28 hour period.

Thanks for sharing, even tho you didn't make any $money maybe next time it will be better, those "weekend road trips" are like that sometimes, but very much fun!


David Harcrow
 
Back
Top