Simple situation and you must not dog it. How do you usually play it?

If you absolutely must not dog it, how do you hit this?

• A - Two rails with inside

Votes: 77 40.5%
  • B - One rail, top/inside

Votes: 15 7.9%
  • C - One rail, center/a lil top/a lil inside etc.

Votes: 35 18.4%
  • D - Two rails with low right

Votes: 52 27.4%
  • E - One rail, a little draw/stun center/a lil right etc.

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • F - One rail, right/draw

Votes: 4 2.1%

• Total voters

7forlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
swing votes

AGAIN, I see the A and D voters going by what "they" would do and not what the player in the question should do, but maybe i'm reading it wrong.

also A and D player are acting like it's soooooooo impossible to hit it bad, almost as if hmmm they have never over ran a ball while "coming into the shot". Flat out and scientifically speaking there are more variables going the 1 rail than trying to for 2, also acting like they have never caught the point and hung a ball because of inside or draw, hell center ball also but that is due to miss judging the contact point and not by adding outside forces (spin).

How about we change the question.

playing a couples match "how would you tell your wife/girlfriend to shot this shot for the win if this was the last rack hill-hill"

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
AGAIN, I see the A and D voters going by what "they" would do and not what the player in the question should do, but maybe i'm reading it wrong.

also A and D player are acting like it's soooooooo impossible to hit it bad, almost as if hmmm they have never over ran a ball while "coming into the shot". Flat out and scientifically speaking there are more variables going the 1 rail than trying to for 2, also acting like they have never caught the point and hung a ball because of inside or draw, hell center ball also but that is due to miss judging the contact point and not by adding outside forces (spin).

playing a couples match "how would you tell your wife/girlfriend to shot this shot for the win if this was the last rack hill-hill"

if i was to shoot this i am going with f.

if i was to have my gf shoot it to get me on the 8 i would tell her to shoot c. " really dont matter cuz she would fvck it up anyway".:grin:

TSW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That's an entirely different question. Obviously when dealing with a non-player we're not even going to mention sidespin.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
[snip]
Humbly, I am an A player, and would still shoot this ball with the C route mentioned in my post, not the C route mentioned in the POLL,
which added two more variables that are not needed. Inside english and slight top english.

On a Diamond table shooting this as a C player your asking for trouble with that combination.

Sorry, I was unclear. Basically I'm listing different options that I think travel along line "C".
They're all basically just cinching the ball, but different people have different ways of just cinching it.
Center ball should go to position C if you don't strike too hard.
A little top will probably also go on that line, more or less.
Some guys feel a little inside (not enough to actually spin the ball) makes cuts go easier...
I can't remember who, but if you do a forum search you may find some mention of it.

So C basically is "I'm just cinching the ball with minimal/no english, even though it crosses
the position cone ". I guess I shouldn't lump the inside cinch shot with the others,
which are arguably easier.

Cinching the first shot is the primary goal [snip]... The 8 will come naturally as a reward for making the 3 which you want to make with the easier shot.

Well, I'd argue the primary goal is winning, which means making the money ball.
"not missing the 3" or "having a chance at the 8" are both secondary goals.

You say the 8 will come naturally as a reward for making the 3. Maybe not :)
An opportunity will 100% come naturally.
But the 8 fall falling in the hole is not automatic at all.

Maybe you hit a smidge to the right of center, or a hair lower than intended, and a hair fat on the 3, and suddenly your cue ball has stopped in the kitchen a bit to the right of the headspot.

With inside, for better or worse, you absolutely cannot get so bad on the 8 you gotta shoot in the corner.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's entirely possible that when I get down to a pressure situation, all my happy talk about
"I'll play like the professional I yearn to be, not the dog I currently am!" goes away,
and I just cinch the ball with a smidgen of top.
Exactly. I think when the smoke clears, C is the obvious choice by the way the question was laid out. Everyone would like to think they'd have it in them to shot A or D. More power to them if they get there. Most players won't.

Freddie <~~~ reality trumps hope and dreams

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm pretty shocked by the number of people choosing options other than D. A takes a lot more work than D because it's going against the tangent line. But I guess some people really prefer follow to draw.

One thing that occurred to me is that if you play a lot of one pocket, shot D is extremely common, but shot A less so (If I run 8-out, it's probably because 4 or so of them were variants of D). In 9-ball, it's probably much more even, if not tilted towards A.

So: If you prefer D, do you play a lot of one pocket? If you prefer A, do you not play much one pocket?

(And, if you prefer anything else, what are you smoking? J/K.)

Cory

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm pretty shocked by the number of people choosing options other than D. A takes a lot more work than D because it's going against the tangent line. But I guess some people really prefer follow to draw.

One thing that occurred to me is that if you play a lot of one pocket, shot D is extremely common, but shot A less so (If I run 8-out, it's probably because 4 or so of them were variants of D). In 9-ball, it's probably much more even, if not tilted towards A.

So: If you prefer D, do you play a lot of one pocket? If you prefer A, do you not play much one pocket?

(And, if you prefer anything else, what are you smoking? J/K.)

Cory

Don't play one pocket. Just understand the table and consistency.

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
Sure, we should all be out from any of these routes. But next time you play me, I would be happiest if you shot A in this situation.

My thoughts exactly, I waited on a buddy of mine who is a champion to look at it, he does not see spinning into this ball either . Especially when it's not necessary

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member
Pretty late to the party I guess.

But nervous or not I don't really see the need to do anything special at all. Pretty much center ball speed shot , roll out for the side pocket that's near me. Something close to a/b/c altho I don't see any reason to hit it hard enough to go 2 rails , just asking for trouble if you ask me.

TorranceChris

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually, C or E are not K.I.S.S., they are the two routes wrought with peril if your speed isn't right on. Goes back to the basics of position play, never cross the line if you don't have to, always come in on the line whenever possible. Just think about it...which way is going to "bite you" the most times?

I usually agree with you, but this time I'm going with 'C' all day long for cinching it. Reasons being that there's more area on that side since 8-ball is slightly closer to the bottom rail. And hitting C requires no forcing the cue ball against its natural flow except possibly with a slight left top english. I wouldn't draw the ball due to the 8-ball being closer to the bottom rail. Every inches the 8-ball is closer to the pocket favors the other side of the table exponentially for landing area. Drawing the ball two rails risks rattling the object ball.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Cory: hardly play 1p, I play lots of 9b/10b. Maybe you're on to something.

Just a year ago I was always using D. I loved low outside, I'd low "outside" straight in shots lol.
Eventually I had to force myself to love inside spin.

Outside has a reputation as being easier and more natural, since the spin cancels
out the cut-induced throw, and the OB goes along its 'natural' path.
But if you hit pretty firmly, deflection makes you undercut it, and there's no time
for 'gearing' english or swerve to cancel that out. You just have to play the deflection.
So outside is not THAT natural in some cases.

On the other hand, inside english has an unfair reputation as being extremely tricky and weird.
But inside actually reduces throw for larger cut angles (though this shot may not qualify).
With practice, inside should not feel any more challenging than outside.

The guys who keep insisting "C" (centerball or maybe a hair of follow) are making a lot of sense.
You just 100% worry about speed control and nothing else.
The problem is, even when I'm not nervous, my speed control isn't good enough to fall into
an eight inch window.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Of the choices I would play (A) the 2 rail position for the simple reason that as long as I get to the 2nd rail I'm moving more along the line of shape rather than across it. Even if I don't get to the 2nd rail I'm moving on a better line to play the 8 in the side. While you could play two rails with draw it brings the chance of a miscue into play. Can't remember the last time I miscued playing follow. I also find it easier to control the speed with follow rather than draw.

Last edited:

Badbeat13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I choose D over B as the 2 best options. With D you can be a little more agressive pocketing the 3 ball and have more command on you're cue ball. With B you have to roll you're cue ball and risk the dreaded skid on the 3 ball. I would most likely be shooting an 8 and then the 9 with 2 balls left on the table though, because 9 ball is my game of choice.

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
A is my favorite, most comfortable/predictable. I'm with Neil on this, D is a great one, too, but personally I'm more comfortable letting the ball go forward with a little inside than coming back off two rails. To me I feel I've got a little more room to work with A then D; but that's personal preference. Less is more in these shots, and I'll make the ball and get shape more often in my style of play with A then any of the others. All the other choices have you running into the landing zone from the side, whereas A and D have you running lenthwise into the zones, so more reliable.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I know this is so dead easy that every C player on earth should be out from here.
Say you're playing on a 10 footer, totally unfamiliar with the cloth, you're nervous, shaking hands,
it's for ALL THE MARBLES, etc. etc.

How do you cinch this ball to guarantee you get straight in on the 8,
and can't possibly miss or get bad shape?

Do you play for the near side pocket or the far one? One rail or two rails?
Do you put any english to help 'dogproof' it? Dead center rolling ball?
A little outside to cancel throw? A little draw to prevent skid?

Do you strongly feel one way is right, or that some ways are definitely wrong?
Like inside english is risky? Forget 1 rail with B or F because you might get stuck on the long rail?

27v8AI4.jpg

N0Fp6vc.jpg

Oh yeah... does anyone play shape for the corners instead, on a big table?

I found option E to be the most consistent. And with TOI (blasphemy I know) it was easier to make the ball.

Video up later.

From there I probably would not play for the corners unless there was some reason. The zone to play the side is pretty good.