Sky Woodward

Drop The Rock

1652nd on AZ Money List
Silver Member
Roberto, Skyler and Dennis all rode in and left together. Pretty strong road team. I had the stream on during the calcutta but wasn't really paying attention. I seem to remember one guy bought three of the first four picks. Anyone know if he had Dennis or Skyler, or both?

The same guy bought all 4 of the opening blind bids, for a total of $10,400. They were, in order, Bergman for $3,000, Woodward for $2,400, Orcollo for $3,000, and Chohan for $2,000.

Between this info, watching the stream and some accounts by a few pros that were there, it looked like Dennis dumped the final. He played patterns funny, missed balls he normally wouldn't and looked like he didn't care at all. Sky made a great run and is a hell of a player, but I (and several others) think Dennis dumped so Sky could get the Mosconi points.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Between this info, watching the stream and some accounts by a few pros that were there, it looked like Dennis dumped the final. He played patterns funny, missed balls he normally wouldn't and looked like he didn't care at all. Sky made a great run and is a hell of a player, but I (and several others) think Dennis dumped so Sky could get the Mosconi points.

I didn't want to be the first to say it, but that did cross my mind. Sky and others did allow Dennis to room with them at derby. Also they rode together from what someone on the forum posted.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Skyler is definitely on his way but he's not there yet. At the far stiffer test that was the Derby City Classic , Skyler was in shaky form for sure, not able to compete with the most elite players.

Classy kid with strong potential but until he has a top five in a big table event having a premier, internationally balanced, field (a WPA event, a US Open 9-ball, a Turning Stone, a Derby City 9-ball, a Super Billiards Expo, or even a Steinway Classic) I won't be sold.

This said, however, he beat Orcullo in Texas and topped YL Chang at the US Open this autumn, so he's beginning to collect some meaningful scalps.

Skyler can count me as a fan and I'll delight in anything he accomplishes, but the evidence in front of me says he's not one of the best quite yet.

First time I saw him play was the last time the XBO was in the Philly Convention center and he drilled one of Marylands top players like it was a stroll in the park ,, I walked over and told my friend I think I just saw a future world champion play ,
He thought I was kidding , I said seriously Rich I think he might be the best young player I've ever seen ,,

I talked to him later on that evening kid was so polite confident but not cocky just a great young man ,, couple of yrs later I was sitting with Kirkwood in Vegas and he comes over to watch him play after Kirkwood beats the guy he's playing , Sky asks him if he wants to play some on the big table Kirk says no , I'll play you here on the bar box but Sky says no on the 9 fts ,, niether would budge , talking with Sky he tells me he's been playing sets with Warren Kam even and breaking even ,, I just shook my head

I would love to see him match up with little Ko I think their about the same age

Either way he's going to have to get another wall for scalps because one wall ain't enough ,,
Only thing that can do him in is a woman lol

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Here we go :rolleyes: this is so sad , are we going to question every time a player does not play good ,, when a Qb throws 4 ints , a Pitcher serves up home run balls ,Goalies get beat on easy shots , Basketball players miss wide open 12 ft shots or Golfers like last yrs US Open miss 3 ft putts ,we accuse them of dumping
Does everyone play their best all the time ,, I certainly know I dont

Last edited:

Lonestar_jim

Two & Out
Silver Member
As MC points were involved. How do allocations vary when a non MC player finishes in the points versus Americans finishing in the points ?

#Cruncher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I noticed Dennis didn't dump in the hot seat match against Sky :confused:

Seriously, this dumping talk really does nobody any good unless you have proof, all it does is continue to drag pool down.

Txstang1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The night before the tourny, Sky, Dennis and Warren all came into a room in Dallas together. Didnt see roberto or bergman.

I got to talk to Dennis that night for the first time and he seemed like a really nice guy who has alot of love for the game.

Bank it

Uh Huh, Sounds Legit
Silver Member

Seriously, this dumping talk really does nobody any good unless you have proof, all it does is continue to drag pool down.

It's like when someone accuses you of something you've given them no reason to believe you are possible of, generally that means they're very capable of what they've accused you of for no good reason. There are so many willing to make a move that anytime they see something they can't reconcile as being logical they naturally assume it's a move. Not because it is, but because they're predisposed to such behavior.

actionplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's pretty common though friends or road buddies making savers and splitting. Bet dennis won to get bigger share of split and sky got Mosconi points
Still doesn't take away sky a beast

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's pretty common though friends or road buddies making savers and splitting. Bet dennis won to get bigger share of split and sky got Mosconi points
Still doesn't take away sky a beast

Not often in a big tourney ,,and it certainly would take away from a win for Sky

Money in with savers is not the same thing as a dump in the final unless there's calcutta money involved and one players stands to make a lot more ,, it does happen ,, it's a black eye in pool for sure because joe blow might have the ticket that the player did not buy his half ,,

I have to add if DO did this on the heels of the Ko match he's a idiot and anyone putting money on him is a bigger one

Last edited:

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member

Then tell the players to stop dumping. Johnnyt

NINEBALLART

NINEBALLART
Silver Member
What would be the advantage for Dennis to dump to Sky?? If they are splitting then what does it matter who wins?

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
As MC points were involved. How do allocations vary when a non MC player finishes in the points versus Americans finishing in the points ?

Each event offering MC points has a schedule of points for the top 32 places in the event. [There are 9 different points schedules being used for the 25 events offering points toward Team USA, varying by significance of event, format, and size of table.] If someone who is not eligible for Team USA finishes in a particular position in the top 32 of the event, the points for that position go to no one. E.g., if the top player eligible for Team USA finishes in 4th place, he gets 4th-place points and the higher points on the schedule for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd go to no one.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Each event offering MC points has a schedule of points for the top 32 places in the event. [There are 9 different points schedules being used for the 25 events offering points toward Team USA, varying by significance of event, format, and size of table.] If someone who is not eligible for Team USA finishes in a particular position in the top 32 of the event, the points for that position go to no one. E.g., if the top player eligible for Team USA finishes in 4th place, he gets 4th-place points and the higher points on the schedule for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd go to no one.
This is the breakdown for the event only 6 points separate 1st and second hardly numbers worth dumping for in February I'm not buying it ,, stop with the BS

30 pts
2 – 24
3 – 21
4 – 20
5/6 – 17
7/8 – 14
9/12 – 11
13/16 – 8
17/24 – 5
25/32 – 3

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is the breakdown for the event only 6 points separate 1st and second hardly numbers worth dumping for in February I'm not buying it ,, stop with the BS

30 pts
2 – 24
3 – 21
4 – 20
5/6 – 17
7/8 – 14
9/12 – 11
13/16 – 8
17/24 – 5
25/32 – 3

Not sure why you are quoting me and saying stop with the BS. I simply answered a question as to how the points system works. I assume you aren't criticizing my response, but, rather, other people suggesting that MC points could be a reason for unethical behavior.

Last edited:

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure why you are quoting me and saying stop with the BS. I simply answered a question as to how the points system works. I assume you aren't criticizing my response, but, rather, other people suggesting that MC points could be a reason for unethical behavior.

No I'm not criticizing u ,, but pointing out that's not how the points are broken down unless your pointing out not much differance between 1st and 4th witch there is not

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
No I'm not criticizing u ,, but pointing out that's not how the points are broken down unless your pointing out not much differance between 1st and 4th witch there is not

As I said, the purpose of my post was simply to answer Lonestar_jim's question about the points system. I'm not aware of any inaccuracies in what I said.

Badbeat13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I honestly didn't see either of the last 2 matches between Sky
and Dennis. All I know is that there are many tournaments
that the player that wins the hot seat cools off a bit, while the
player that gets a few matches in a row in to get to the finals
is in dead stroke when he gets there. This makes way more
since to me than someone dumping. Look at how good Mica
was playing when he got to the finals at Turning Stone last
month, perfect example imo.