Skylar Woodward Mosconi Cup MVP

punter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At last, I'm home from a wonderful Thanksgiving feast and I had a great holiday, just as I hoped my fellow forum members had.

I only just learned that Team USA has defended the Mosconi Cup. This is wonderful news.

I'm so happy for Skyler. He's a quality guy who has worked hard at his craft and made the most of the opportunity to work with Johan and Jeremy. He was always a highly skilled player, but he's become more and more dangerous, having become more consistent and more thoughtful in his play. Two Mosconi MVPs in a row is something few have achieved, but Skyler's on the list now. Bravo!

I wasn't lucky enough to see any of today's play, but I'm delighted by the result and am hopeful of a trip to Alexandra Palace next year.

Congratulations to Team USA. Well done! Now for THREE in a row.

Congratulation to Matchroom, as well. Nobody puts on better pool events than Matchroom and this Mosconi was yet another tribute to the sustained excellence we've come to expect of any Matchroom-produced pool event. Everyone at Matchroom should take a deep bow.

I agree that this was a great showcase for pool. Non stop excitement and credit ALL of the players for making this event the best I've seen. All of the players looked great, played with intensity, and exhibited great sportsmanship. There was celebration, but as far as I saw, no negative incidents between these teams. I have been a critic of the short races, but you can't argue that it makes for an exciting presentation that is probably the best chance of getting people than aren't hardcore pool fans interested in watching. Good commentating also, always like to hear Double J's analysis. Congratulations to all involved.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How is Team Euro picked?

3 by a scoring system and 2 wild card?

yes. a fair system that also lends incentives to perform at some of the low paying euro events. so it's both good and bad. most of all i think europe needs a new coach. ralf, daz or toastie are on top of my list

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
There is always a "yeah,but". We dont all know what would happen in a race to five 9 ball. And you can put Gorst on this years team, and one could counter that Corey or Max would have outperformed Tyler or Bergman.

Let's get real. The Americans were not supposed to win last year. They certainly were not supposed to win this year. They did.

They wouldn't run from any team of Chinese, Filipinos, Taiwanese, or Japanese you could assemble. They are MOSCONI Cup Champions. You can enjoy it and appreciate it without a "yeah, but".

I have to spread reputation around before I can give it to you again.
Good post.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Billy and Shane played great too.

Billy over Shaw was HUGE. Billy a big underdog at that.

Winning that match was just as important for Team USA's ultimate victory as Sky's triumph over Filler. If Billy does not beat Shaw, the Cup could well have gone the other way. Same could be said for Shane's gutsy win over Kazakis. A loss there and USA would have been deflated and in trouble.

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
49139552417_d94a784a20_c.jpg

This picture kind of says it all.

jeephawk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
QUESTIONS

I was listening to the interview with Shane after his match and before Skylar's and he was asked about being sent out - had it gotten to 10-10 would there have been a one match playoff?

Also to me it sounded like he was either already pretty sure it would be Skylar the coaches would send or he was basically suggesting Sky would get it done against Filler, or both? Second one kind of a no brainer, but a little surprised by the first if that was a bit of a revelation (not that they would send Sky, but that Shane seemed willing to put that out there - thought it was pretty honest and team oriented statement, although his overall performance was just a valuable to the U.S. as Skylar's). I liked it.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
QUESTIONS

I was listening to the interview with Shane after his match and before Skylar's and he was asked about being sent out - had it gotten to 10-10 would there have been a one match playoff?

Also to me it sounded like he was either already pretty sure it would be Skylar the coaches would send or he was basically suggesting Sky would get it done against Filler, or both? Second one kind of a no brainer, but a little surprised by the first if that was a bit of a revelation (not that they would send Sky, but that Shane seemed willing to put that out there - thought it was pretty honest and team oriented statement, although his overall performance was just a valuable to the U.S. as Skylar's). I liked it.

Shane said he thought if it went 10-10 that Sky should play since he has been winning. It was one of those honest selfless comments we're used to from Shane. :cool:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
All the noise, the short races, and alternative break? Bring it on.

If there ever were a team event like this with teams from all the major pool locales, I would be hard pressed to bet against the Filipino team. They have this sense of purpose that they truly represent their nation and their people. There are very few sports where there are Filipino champions (pretty much only boxing and pool, but they do have some world class chess players), so that makes it even more important that they do well. They do not want to come home and show their faces with anything less than the gold medal. Just watch who wins the pool medals at the SEAG games that are starting now.

When I've seen them in a team type event (yes there were others held besides the MC) they are like a band of brothers, with ten arms shooting each shot, not just two. They exult in every good shot and lament the ones that fail. You won't see anyone missing when one of them is playing. They support each other in every possible way, even to staying together in one or two adjoining rooms and eating all their meals together. In short, they live, eat and breath pool. And when they play, their hearts and souls are on the line. You can feel their total dedication to the task at hand and so can their opponents.

No question the team from Taiwan would be just as talented and just as dedicated, but I'm not sure that's enough for them to overcome five hungry Filipinos! One or two, yes, but all five NO!

Just as a P.S. to emphasize this, notice who is winning the money in most of the regional pro tournaments held in this country, and you can go back several years and check the results. Our professional events have long been Filipino dominated, except for when Shane makes his appearance felt. This is their job and they treat it as such, sending money home to their families when they win or finish high. Basically they are known as OFW in the Philippine parlance. They are part of the nearly five million Filipinos working overseas to make a living and support their families. OFW - overseas foreign worker.

Last edited:

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
There is always a "yeah,but". We dont all know what would happen in a race to five 9 ball. And you can put Gorst on this years team, and one could counter that Corey or Max would have outperformed Tyler or Bergman.

Let's get real. The Americans were not supposed to win last year. They certainly were not supposed to win this year. They did.

They wouldn't run from any team of Chinese, Filipinos, Taiwanese, or Japanese you could assemble. They are MOSCONI Cup Champions. You can enjoy it and appreciate it without a "yeah, but".

But would they bet their own $$$$? My guess is no.

Stretch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Even a king has to look up to the Sky....just like the rest of us.

Glad i'm not the only one that thought Filler was being a little Prima donna. After his 5-0 win he was heard yelling at SVB "who's your Daddy now" along with the very strange facial expressions, not a good look at all. Sure you can celebrate with your team and rev up the crowd, even sparkle with great play but when you feel the need to disrespect your opponent and glorify yourself the Pool Gods turn nasty as they did with Filler eating the big loss that sank his team. The kid still has a lot to learn. St.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Glad i'm not the only one that thought Filler was being a little Prima donna. After his 5-0 win he was heard yelling at SVB "who's your Daddy now" along with the very strange facial expressions, not a good look at all. Sure you can celebrate with your team and rev up the crowd, even sparkle with great play but when you feel the need to disrespect your opponent and glorify yourself the Pool Gods turn nasty as they did with Filler eating the big loss that sank his team. The kid still has a lot to learn. St.

There's a big $$$$ match brewing between the 2, love the trash talk.

AkGuy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good for him!

Sky certainly earned the MVP award. It was a thrill to watch him do it. I just wish the big Predator decal didn't dominate the MVP trophy. A bit over whelming for my tastes.
Then again I am sure they invested some money in the Cup.