slight shaft warpage...how much is too much?

fan-tum

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Will my game suffer if I use a slightly warped shaft? I seem to play about the same with it.
 
It usually only starts affecting someones game once the Know its there. Mind over Matter kind of thing.
 
joeboxer,

My thoughts exactly. When I first started to play, I'd pick up a cue from the bar stock and play a few games. Then I'd switch shafts. One night I played great with a certain cue and kept up with that cue for the entire night, some 5 or 6 hours. I had played my best ever games to that date, and it convinced me that I needed to get a cue of my own for the sake of consistency if nothing else.

The cue that started it for me was warped very noticibly, except I didn't notice until after I had a knockout night.
 
joeboxer said:
It usually only starts affecting someones game once the Know its there. Mind over Matter kind of thing.

My snooker cue has a warp in it but it's generally only noticable if you roll it along the table. That said I would much prefer a straight one over a warped one (to ease the mind)

I think it tends to affect someones game when it becomes noticable to the eye, which I think takes quite a bit of warping.
 
I've owned lots of cues over the last few years and the ONLY one that I feel was really affected by a warp was an old South West that looked like a horseshoe. Other than that, the cues (even those with a noticeable rollout) all played just fine...

Steve
 
If the warp isn't too bad (minor) I think you'd probably be OK, but if it hops when you roll the shaft it's fire wood for me. I'm too particular to try and play with a warped shaft and I guess it's a mind thing with me.

James
 
fan-tum said:
Will my game suffer if I use a slightly warped shaft? I seem to play about the same with it.

Depending upon where the wapred area is, and depending if it bothers you there is most likely no problem. Most shafts that warp tend to warp at their weakest point. In most cases this is some where in the middle, but they can warp due to bad grain or other defects in the wood any where. The only time a warp will normally effect you game is if it is in the front of the shaft, normally within the first 10 inches, because during your stroke you can see it.

Hope this helps!!
 
If you roll the cue and the tip leaves the table its bad.I have seen guys playing with cues that were that bad though. :cool:
 
Back
Top