Slippery wrap question.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a few holsters from these people. They are made from some kind of material that is kind of sticky against your skin. I actually like the ones they make with a clip as added security but for the most part they do what they are designed to do.

http://www.remoraholsterstore.com/default.asp

Here is my question. On my personal cue I like a wrap that is not slippery. I often put paste wax on the IL wrap to make it a bit more tacky. I really play better when the cue sticks to my finger tips, it is night and day.

I have been thinking about maybe wrapping my cue with something like Remora uses for their holsters. I know many 3-C players like to use the rubber sleeves on the butt of their cues.
Does anyone either cuemaker or player have any experience with a material like this?

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mezz makes this for cues, not sure if it will fit any cue diameter. Its tacky but pulling it in and out of cases will cause the product to shift.

http://mezzcues.us/shop/index.php?m...id=100&zenid=fb93020ef6f90c274c34fe98b44126b7
That is like the stuff that billiard players use, In fact, I use to sell it. It does add some thickness to the cue as well as some weight. I want something that does not change the cue.

On another note, I have seen guys rip out the whole insides of their cases with the rubber sleeve if they didn't know to take it off before putting their cues away.
You know, those rubber wraps really work well on break cues. It will defiantly give you a better break.

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Just go with cork .

I got a cork grip on an '86 Joss....I like it in the winter....too sticky when it's humid.

I like to use rough sandpaper, used very lightly, on my Irish linen wraps...
...it brings up the nap ( you cuemakers are getting too good on wraps, too slick)

I don't like a wrap that clings to your hand too much, it interferes with some tricky shots....
....involving releasing the cue.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Or go with leather... The smooth leather on my Szam is not slick at all. Grips well..

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Or go with leather... The smooth leather on my Szam is not slick at all. Grips well..
I have played with a leather wrap years ago. I don't really remember what I thought about it back then. I think I am just going to take an old house cue and use some double faced tape to do some experimenting.

This stuff can be very personal. What one person likes may not be what someone else likes. I am beginning to come to the conclusion that the old Irish Linen that is pressed and polished may be one of the worst wraps anymore. I am always having people show me Irish Linen cues they think are too slippery.

I think that is why so many like no wrap cues today. It seems just holding a cue by the finish feels pretty good. Or even a house cue that is almost bare wood feels better then Irish Linen.

I have played with a leather wrap years ago. I don't really remember what I thought about it back then. I think I am just going to take an old house cue and use some double faced tape to do some experimenting.

This stuff can be very personal. What one person likes may not be what someone else likes. I am beginning to come to the conclusion that the old Irish Linen that is pressed and polished may be one of the worst wraps anymore. I am always having people show me Irish Linen cues they think are too slippery.

I think that is why so many like no wrap cues today. It seems just holding a cue by the finish feels pretty good. Or even a house cue that is almost bare wood feels better then Irish Linen.

Why not use rosin? It is used by weight lifters, gymnasts, rock climbers, dancers, pitchers, etc. to increase friction.

flyvirginiaguy

Classic Cue Lover
Silver Member
And not all leather wraps are created equal. I prefer smooth kangaroo leather, which is a bit tacky. But this particular Josey that I was selling on here quite some time ago for a friend (that was made for Tony Watson), had a really grippy lizard style wrap. I am sure Josey could say what type it was he used.

4fvqww.jpg

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
macguy;

this wrap on my southwest is fantastic.

It is rubber, in a lizardy pebbly pattern and feels like what you are describing as what you are looking for.

It is so well done, by CEM, a very highly regarded cuemaker in Germany.

Maybe contact him for poss sourcing info.

I'm a linen guy, don't like leathers or lizards, this stuff is super.

best,
brian kc

Attachments

• SW-pau-purp-wrap.jpg
    SW-pau-purp-wrap.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 469
  • SW-pau-purp-points-close-b.jpg
    SW-pau-purp-points-close-b.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 496

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I got a cork grip on an '86 Joss....I like it in the winter....too sticky when it's humid.

I like to use rough sandpaper, used very lightly, on my Irish linen wraps...
...it brings up the nap ( you cuemakers are getting too good on wraps, too slick)

I don't like a wrap that clings to your hand too much, it interferes with some tricky shots....
....involving releasing the cue.

It can have Turner's Wood Finish on top.
It won't get too sticky. Just enough.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
And not all leather wraps are created equal. I prefer smooth kangaroo leather, which is a bit tacky. But this particular Josey that I was selling on here quite some time ago for a friend (that was made for Tony Watson), had a really grippy lizard style wrap. I am sure Josey could say what type it was he used.

4fvqww.jpg

Keith uses lizard embossed leather a lot. After a little use it becomes slightly tacky. Just about any leather will also.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If you like to use a slip stroke, then Irish linen is a godsend. I too think my linen
Is too slippery. My cure? Warm your hand and rub bees wax on your hand. Then grip your cue to transfer the bees wax. Wont harm your wrap, its natural, and it will buff to a shine, but still retains the right amount of tackiness. Dont need much. Just enough to tack it up a bit. Reapply occasionally.

Last edited:

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like a wrap that is not slippery.

Do your self a favor and start playing with wrapless cues.
I did it a few years ago and there's no way in hell that I'm ever going back.
I know this very well because it wasn't further back than this Sunday that I tried to play one of my linen cues and it was absolutely terrible.

Plus it just simplifies everything for you. You never have to replace it and there's no maintenance, it never gets dirty, and your grip hand will love it.

I have an old Schon that I use a lot, it's my no 1 player, it came with a wrap, in order to mimic the feel of a wrapless I went to the Home Depo and got some clear coat lacquer and brushed it on the linen wrap. It actually works pretty good. Not as good as wrapless but it's purdy close.

Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

I have been advocating stack leather wraps as a performance enhancing product for years, They are unlike any other leather wrap because they are burnished thin and very firm. They feel is similar to a wrapless cue but they will absorb sweat. Plus, mine is about 10 years old now and shows no real wear. You can also coat it with a clear finish (Tiger has stuff especially for this) to tack it up. They play best when worn in, in my opinion. I've had many types of leather wraps and the only other thing I would consider at this point is wrapless.

You are right about linen. I don't like it at all.

Agent 99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do your self a favor and start playing with wrapless cues.
I did it a few years ago and there's no way in hell that I'm ever going back.
I know this very well because it wasn't further back than this Sunday that I tried to play one of my linen cues and it was absolutely terrible.

Plus it just simplifies everything for you. You never have to replace it and there's no maintenance, it never gets dirty, and your grip hand will love it.

I have an old Schon that I use a lot, it's my no 1 player, it came with a wrap, in order to mimic the feel of a wrapless I went to the Home Depo and got some clear coat lacquer and brushed it on the linen wrap. It actually works pretty good. Not as good as wrapless but it's purdy close.

I'll second this - My finger tips stick to no wrap like flies to fly paper. I don't shoot slip stroke, like my finger tips stuck to the butt at all times with very light pressure.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
I'd say the classiest and best looking way to go is a tacky leather, as it does provide a good grip, for those who don't like any slide.

Here though, we might want to give a bit of a nod to Bob Meucci. In the late 70s and beyond, he started putting the clear coat on the linen wrap of his cues, along with the entire butt. Although I prefer a linen wrap just pressed and not with a coating like this, I think Bob saw what a lot of players wanted, a tackier wrapless feel with the look of a wrap.

SC02GTP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why do anything to the cue? Just wear a glove with grips in the palm and on the fingers. You can find just about any kind of glove out there on Ebay. Look around and I bet you can find something that is light weight and will do the job just fine.

Agent 99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why do anything to the cue? Just wear a glove with grips in the palm and on the fingers. You can find just about any kind of glove out there on Ebay. Look around and I bet you can find something that is light weight and will do the job just fine.

Because your hand will move inside the glove, not good. And your palm should never touch the butt, just your finger tips.

Just saying.....:smile:

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I actually tried that like 35 years ago and it worked but I didn't like the way the cue felt, it was too different. I think I used something like a baseball batters glove or golf glove. I don't think I am that weird, I have a feeling if more payers tried cues that were a little tacky they may find they like it. For me it is like night and day I play so much better.