slow table speed gc3

realkingcobra

Silver Member
it was relatively the same...but what I have just found is that the original aramith cue ball doesn't roll as sluggish as the after market measle ball. (which I know is not an aramith ball, but rather a cheap knock off) so maybe the porosity of the ball?...or weight?...

Now you're getting the picture, playing surface speed is one thing, but when you take that plying surface speed and start checking it with the speed of the cushion's and balls....you start learning there's a reason why all pool tables don't play the same....and it's not the cloth that makes the difference if it's the same cloth on all tables tested:grin:

reverend

Table Mechanic
Silver Member
Somehow, GC3's seem slower and not as solid as the II's.

I could be out on a limb here, but I think its the quality or lack there of, of the wood in the GC3 rails. In general the rails are much lighter weight, not as much rigidity behind the cushion. The small stamped out floating nut plates in most GC3s are inferior as well.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I could be out on a limb here, but I think its the quality or lack there of, of the wood in the GC3 rails. In general the rails are much lighter weight, not as much rigidity behind the cushion. The small stamped out floating nut plates in most GC3s are inferior as well.

That explains it. GC2 has a solid sound to them when banking. The 3's just don't have the low pitch thump.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
That explains it. GC2 has a solid sound to them when banking. The 3's just don't have the low pitch thump.

The difference in the rails is sound effects, the floating capture nut in a GC2 is mounted straight in, whereas in a 3 it's turned sideways, creating a larger cavity 9ft air behind the cushion's when the balls hit right at those spots, and most of the 3's came with the 1/4" thick anchor nut, but not all did. Otherwise, structurally the tables are identical.