SLY vs Treadway?

TrxR

Which do you all like? Looking at a couple but was curious of everyone's opinion of the two.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You’d get a better response by including photos of the cues you’re considering despite that appearance
is only but one consideration. The difference is how the cue was made the cue and both features & specs
are important factors. You’re likely going to get thumbs up from Sly fans, which have diminished in number
recently, and the same reaction from Treadway fans. What do you like about each cue maker & the cues you
are considering? Do the cues share similarities like weight and shaft sizes? Do the cues have wraps & what type?
Same cue joint and ferrules? It is a challenging question to answer unless the respondents owned both cue makers
at one time or another. In any event, opinions are basically worthless unless you had to spend money to obtain it.

TrxR

Here are pictures. The Treadway I like is the one on the left.

FB_IMG_1682113786618.jpg
FB_IMG_1682113862228.jpg

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t honestly know Sky’s background so with that being said. I would take Treadway all day and Sunday. No offense to Mr. Sly intended at all..

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know Sly either and so this is not dig what so ever. I just don't know anything about Sly

About 10 or 12 years ago at the SBE, Jim Buss told me that Josh had already surpassed him.
If you don't know.. Jim Buss is a HOF Cue Builder, 1 of 12 cue builders chosen by the Smithsonian to submit a cue.
Jim was Josh's mentor.

Currently Josh runs his business under the same roof as the former Buss Cues.
Of course Josh has made some changes/upgrades since Jim has left the scene.

Last edited:

Dognit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, in terms of habit, I KNOW Josh Treadway is a perfectionist. Nothing leaves the shop that he is not 100% about.

But its more about which cue you like better, really. Nothing against Leon Sly, but I know ANY cue Josh makes is world class.

Nick8400

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Love the Treadways in the bottom pic. Very classy. That one on the left especially. Enjoy!!

NathanDetroit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't know either as I'm not a custom guy, but that box cue lower left is very nice to look at.

Funny, the Mcdermott is pretty enough to make me think about buying it, and I don't like the brand.

DeeDeeCues

Looks like the diamonds on the butt of the sly are not aligned. The design looks unbalanced. Why have two diamonds stacked in the butt sleeve, but only one in the point? Why have the white ring above the wrap, but not below? Why are the blue pearl plastic (viking called and wants their rings back) in the sleeve and nowhere else? Why are the dot rings repeated twice in the sleeve, but only once in the forearm?

The sly cue looks like leftover parts.

That treadway is simple elegance. I find it hard to believe that the two are even involved in the same conversation.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like a McD in there. Not crazy about turquoise. Reminds me of Sigels. I'd get the Mac without wrap. The rest belong in a museum grade display.

peppersauce

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t know anything about Sly cues, but I remember people saying great things about them.

I like my Treadway. It was a big adjustment from the Verl Horn I played with for over 16 years, but it’s a great cue. Now that I’ve adjusted, I like it more. Be forewarned though, if you have Josh build you a cue, it’s going to be a while before you get it. I waited nearly three years for mine.

bmeek

Registered
I've had 3 Treadways and found them all to be extremely well made and a very consistent hit between the 3 of them. I'd buy another without hesitation.

Wasn't Sly the one who was allegedly having Harris make some of his cues without disclosing that info and then came on here like a drunken sailor bashing posters?