Smokin' in the boysroom...

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
I'm sure this topic has been brought up before, but what are your thoughts on smoking in poolhalls, poolrooms, or bars. I know where I play it is certainly noticeable on a day-to-day basis, but when a tournament is held it becomes even worse.
Having smoked for twenty-eight years and now smoke free for twenty, I would have no objections to any new ordinances that would ban the practice.
 
I live in the great state of Michigan. Don't knock it unless you been here. Use to think it was the worst but after traveling around the US there are a lot of things to like here. No hurricanes, volcanos, forest fires, land/mud slides, wind storms, earthquakes. A lot of fresh water, and the winters aren't really that bad anymore thanks to Al Gore and his global warming. :killingme: :outtahere::

Back to the point. It has been voted on to ban smoking in most places taking effect May 2010. Why the wait. I don't know. Ohio has had it for a few years and since I live near the border I will go there because of it. Too bad the casinos are exempt. I go to Windsor, Canada because they also ban smoking and it is also in the casinos. Toledo, Oh will be getting a casino and if they don't allow smoking you can bet I will go there.

I use to volunteer working on bingo but the smoke was too bad. It was ironic that the smokers would always complain that the smoke was terrible and something had to be done. Somke eaters are a joke and a waste of money.
 
Last edited:
I quit playing league for a few years when the smoking ban took affect where I come from. When I was shooting, I always had one lit in an ashtray and my beer close at hand. I figured that if I couldn't enjoy a smoke with the other 2 pleasures in my life then I would quit. Since then, the smoking ban has helped me cut down considerably. When I go out to play, I seldom go out for a smoke, cuts into my play time. In the long run, Its helped me cut down smoking even at home.
It takes some time to get used to but in the long run, no biggy. Also, I do sympathize with non smokers 100%. Why should they clog their lungs with unwanted smoke and go home smelling like a chimney. Smokers have no right to inflict that on people.
 
First!


BTW here's a link to a recent thread. If you read it I'm sure you'll be at the very least, amused.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=166665


Thanks, UGO. It is recent, isn't it.
Could I have a moderator pull the plug on this post as soon as possible, please.
Yes, as soon as possible.
No, not tomorrow, right now, if you wouldn't mind.
What? There are no moderators available.
Very well then, I'll do it myself.
...zzzt. :grin:
 
I live in the great state of Michigan. Don't knock it unless you been here. Use to think it was the worst but after traveling around the US there are a lot of things to like here. No hurricanes, volcanos, forest fires, land/mud slides, wind storms, earthquakes. A lot of fresh water, and the winters aren't really that bad anymore thanks to Al Gore and his global warming. :killingme: :outtahere::

Back to the point. It has been voted on to ban smoking in most places taking effect May 2010. Why the wait. I don't know. Ohio has had it for a few years and since I live near the border I will go there because of it. Too bad the casinos are exempt. I go to Windsor, Canada because they also ban smoking and it is also in the casinos. Toledo, Oh will be getting a casino and if they don't allow smoking you can bet I will go there.

I use to volunteer working on bingo but the smoke was too bad. It was ironic that the smokers would always complain that the smoke was terrible and something had to be done. Somke eaters are a joke and a waste of money.

I'm glad it finally happened. I wish the casinos too would be exempt. I went to the MGM Detroit after I moved back to Michigan. The smoke there sucked so bad I never went back. The casinos around here suck anyway. After living in Vegas for 5 years you get jaded. Their casinos rock.
 
I wish they would ban indoor smoking in Ky. and Tn. My Dad is slowly dying from emphysema, his own smoking and the fact that he's spent probably half his life in a pool room. Also my wife would actually go to a tournament with me. She can't stand to be around smoke.
 
I am a non-smoker, but I grew up around smokers. I played in pool rooms since I was 11 years old (almost 50 years later, now), and it never really bothered me. I guess I never really noticed it all that much. I do know that my mother and girl friends could always tell when I had been to the pool room, though. I never realized how bad second-hand smoke smelled.

Now, I live in Maryland. The restaurants, bars and pool rooms all went smokeless a few years ago. It hurt business pretty bad at first, but most of it seems to have come back. I did notice that when the pook room I play at most (All Star Billiards) remodeled the old room, all of the ceiling tiles were almost black from smoke stains. Now, they are a few doors down in a new place, and it is clean and bright and doesn't smell bad.

Joe
 
I think the proprietor of the business should be able to make the rules in his business envirnment. If an establishment wishes to cater to the desires of smokers, it is their right. It is my right to patronize a different establishment if I so desire.

Many of these states that went smoke free didn't do it all at once. Many states first mandated separate space for smokers and non smokers, then they mandated that smoke removal devices be used in smoking areas. The result was thousands of dollars spent to comply with new laws only to face an outright ban a couple yrs later.

No refund on the equipment that they were forced to buy, no choice to opt out of the requirement, just forced expendeture and then loss of business when the ban came down.


I am a non smoker. I do not like the smell of second hand smoke on my clothes and person. I prefer to play in a smoke free environment. However I am against this law telling a private enterprise that it's patrons cannot use an otherwise legal product on the premisis.

:cool:
 
smoke dont bother me either way...but comming from illinois where its smoke free now it is a blessing..i go to beloit where they are still aloud to smoke in the rooms and my eyes go dry and headaches, cuz ive been spoiled here. but from what i hear is beloit will be smoke free come july...



they should allow it in bars and casinos. you no what your getting into when you go to these places.

my mother works for harrahs and her pay has dropped 10 an hour becuz of the ban..thats ruff
 
I am a smoker, and spent my 'learning' years in Japan where smoking is allowed anywhere. I smoked while playing in Japan, but ONLY after seeing that my opponent was also a smoker and seeing him/her light up first. However, I never did, and never will light up when playing somebody that isn't also smoking. It generally doesn't bother me, but I know it bothers others, and can be a form of sharking in my opinion. So, generally speaking, I prefer non-smoking poolrooms. No grey areas, and we who smoke should not complain about having to go outside in the cold for a quickie..................................it's a choice we as smokers have made. And not a choice we should impose upon non-smokers.
dave
 
Back
Top