Snake skin wraps

Jason Koopman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Snake skin wraps don't seem too common. What are your thoughts? Good wrap material or one that should be avoided?

ArizonaPete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have an embossed leather snake wrap on my cue. When I was trying to decide what wrap I wanted, I was told that snake and lizard skin was fairly delicate and required care. The cuemaker also told me that embossed leather looked like the real thing but was very durable and required only cleaning and a little wax now and then. I've had the wrap now almost three years and it looks as good as new. The embossed leather is significantly less expensive than real snake-skin. Also depends on what kind of cue you're putting it on. If it's one that you'll be using as a player I'd go with embossed leather. But if it's a real expensive cue that you're collecting, you may want the real thing.

vasilios

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Real snake has scales like a fish.smooth in one direction and cut you up sharp in the other.if you flake a scale off it leaves a mark.when i install snake it gets covered and sealed pretty good trying to leave a coarse texture that won't cut you or spit a scale.when it leaves the shop it is 100% yours and no warranty.

bill

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
real snake skin

as bill stated it has scales. and they are sharp.

I have afriend that does rattle snake skins . yuk the texture is creepy.

I know kenny koo has alot of wraps you might want to pm him .
aka flying snail. I have bought acouple of wraps from kenny.

i can only rate them as a 10.
black bison leather is the best i have ever felt.
MMike

tikkler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hey

have a few snake skin wraps that arent scaly......talk to Bill Schick

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
python

i just bought a 14 ft python hide that was dated on the back in pencil singapore 1943. i have only tried 5 snakeskin wraps, but i will never try one unseald again. as previously stated the skales are, sharp, go only one direction, and will easily flake off and leave a lighter spot.
BUT, if you seal the cue it feels like a no wrap cue and you can get a color that matches the wood you are using. i love the look of my python and snakewood together.
chuck starkey

Attachments

• _07.jpg
    _07.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 383
  • _12.jpg
    _12.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 361
Last edited:

Dirtbmw20

Lee Casto
Silver Member
i just bought a 14 ft python hide that was dated on the back in pencil singapore 1943. i have only tried 5 snakeskin wraps, but i will never try one unseald again. as previously stated the skales are, sharp, go only one direction, and will easily flake off and leave a lighter spot.
BUT, if you seal the cue it feels like a no wrap cue and you can get a color that matches the wood you are using. i love the look of my python and snakewood together.
chuck starkey

That looks awesome cleared over Chuck !!!

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have used snake skin wraps for many years. I always seal them. Some of the skins like Karung will get by not coated like the one mentioned from Schick that I saw at the ICCS show. But even though the Karung is not as scaley it will wear out pretty fast compared to a leather wrap. Some of the easiest to work with and seal is Python or Anaconda as they often are thicker and less likely to turn transparent when sealed. Rattle snake is a little harder to work with, but makes a nice wrap. You can look on my Hightower Cues site and see some that I took pictures of. I just shipped the Rattlesnake cue so it is no longer available. I need to up date the site.
My snakeskin cues used to be my best sellers until the market got flooded about 10 years ago with cheap imports with snakeskins. Now they have quit flooding us with them and my snakeskin cues are becoming some of my best sellers again.

Last edited: