Snooker in NE Philadelphia

yesyura

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If there is a snooker table in NE Philadelphia, would anyone come to play?
Olney and Front.
Owner of the pool room is considering.
Please give your opinion.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If there is a snooker table in NE Philadelphia, would anyone come to play?
Olney and Front.
Owner of the pool room is considering.
Please give your opinion.
I think that if there is a single table in a pool hall -- either carom or snooker -- it can only succeed if the owner does things to promote it. For snooker:

start a snooker ladder or league
teach pool players about other games on the snooker table -- golf, billiards, pink ball
reach out to immigrant communities that play snooker -- Chinese, Thai, British, Indian, ??? -- maybe through colleges
offer promotional rates for practice time
try to get the youngest players in the room to try it
find a regular to be the "snooker ambassador"
stick with it for at least two years

If it is the only room in the area with a snooker table, it will give people a reason to come to the room even if they don't end up on the snooker table.

A single table generally has a hard time getting a following. As it becomes more popular you have more people being disappointed when they arrive and the only table is busy. I don't know of a way to prevent that except to have a golf game.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think that if there is a single table in a pool hall -- either carom or snooker -- it can only succeed if the owner does things to promote it. For snooker:

teach pool players about other games on the snooker table -- golf, billiards, pink ball
reach out to immigrant communities that play snooker -- Chinese, Thai, British, Indian, ??? -- maybe through colleges

If it is the only room in the area with a snooker table, it will give people a reason to come to the room even if they don't end up on the snooker table.

A single table generally has a hard time getting a following. As it becomes more popular you have more people being disappointed when they arrive and the only table is busy. I don't know of a way to prevent that except to have a golf game.
If they have a snooker table DO NOT bastardize it for golf 😉

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If they have a snooker table DO NOT bastardize it for golf 😉
It's true that some rooms screw up the cloth and pockets to make a "golf" table, but they don't have to. For most players, golf is a fun challenge on a standard 12-foot table.

yesyura

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If he buys he will have two.

OneArmBandit

Registered
So I'm NOT a purist, I'd suggest a tight 10' table would be fine as a 2nd table. We had an ugly tight table in Tallahassee. A regular bet against a road player was to place the cue ball a chalk width off the 3 diamond and give an even bet that the cue couldn't be pocketed in the corner. Usually played with just 6 reds, or the games would go pretty long...

Love the suggestion to promote through colleges, lots of foreign students have a background in snooker and will enjoy a break in the day.

I guess the cost per square foot has reduced the number of snooker tables available. Not sure there was one left in Tallahassee last time through. Use to be popular with peanut farmers in South Georgia. Recall a snooker table or 2 being prominent in Thomasville and Warner Robins pool room, though generally 10'.

Rethunk

Snooker pimp
Silver Member
I'm perhaps a bit biased, but I'd say yes to a snooker table in Philadelphia.

Definitely follow Bob's advice. He knows stuff.

claymont

JADE
Gold Member
Silver Member
The two I knew of in the suburbs of Philly, in different rooms, got sold off to private owners. Just not enough interest it seemed. Now that was at least six years ago, so I guess your mileage will vary in this day and age.