So Mezz has a new joint pin

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While many are unhappy that Mezz has added another joint to their assortment I am not. The way I see it is Mezz sponsors somewhere near 100 or more professional pool players worldwide. In Japan alone they sponsor 23.

In my opinion they are in all likelihood receiving feedback from every single one of them regarding what they like and do not like about the equipment they play with. The fact that they support so many pool players alone gives me confidence they are indeed concerned about their equipment and the future of pool. The feedback they receive is then available to them for any changes they consider necessary to their equipment. It may have even led to this new joint design, who knows..

I do not know of any other company involved in pool that sponsors anywhere near what Mezz does, that alone is good enough for me... If anyone knows of any other pool related company doing the same please post their name, I'd love to know..

JMO!

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While many are unhappy that Mezz has added another joint to their assortment I am not. The way I see it is Mezz sponsors somewhere near 100 or more professional pool players worldwide. In Japan alone they sponsor 23.

In my opinion they are in all likelihood receiving feedback from every single one of them regarding what they like and do not like about the equipment they play with. The fact that they support so many pool players alone gives me confidence they are indeed concerned about their equipment and the future of pool. The feedback they receive is then available to them for any changes they consider necessary to their equipment. It may have even led to this new joint design, who knows..

I do not know of any other company involved in pool that sponsors anywhere near what Mezz does, that alone is good enough for me... If anyone knows of any other pool related company doing the same please post their name, I'd love to know..

JMO!
Just a bunch of guesses. Who cares how many players they sponsor. Predator sponsors WAAAY more. Do they use some oddball pin? No. Until i get a response FROM MEZZ on this i'm still in the 'money grab' boat. I use a Mezz and really like it. I doubt i ever buy another product of their's. The use of these goofy proprietary pins is kinda chicken-shit imo. When the Wavy first came out they could have easily used a Radial pin but they didn't. Why?? $$$$$$$.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I really really really wanted to buy a mezz cue as my playing cue, but I ended up buying a predator just because of Mezz's proprietary joints. I wanted to be able to experiment with different shafts without sending them to a cue maker to customize. This newer style of joint just reaffirms my decision to go with something more universal.
Interesting... I always thought the Predator 'Uni-loc' was their proprietary joint. What other manufacturers use it...?

I do know Mezz offers Predator shafts with their 'United' or 'Wavy' threading.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
While many are unhappy that Mezz has added another joint to their assortment I am not.
Don't give too much credit where it isn't due. Truth be told, people just like bitching and forging the inconsequential into an axe to grind.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting... I always thought the Predator 'Uni-loc' was their proprietary joint. What other manufacturers use it...?

I do know Mezz offers Predator shafts with their 'United' or 'Wavy' threading.
The Radial and the Uni-loc were invented by Paul Castain and Bill Stroud. They are now part of the PredatorGroup. Lots of co's/makers have used the Radial and UL joints over the years. Both are available to anyone who wants them. Atlas sells them.

YoungAtHeart

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was under the impression that both the Uni-Loc and Radial pins were proprietary when they were released.
But they were marketed not as a Predator brand at that time, and were not kept as exclusive, but offered out so other cuemakers could use them also.
But as always, I stand to be corrected.

WGDave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool cue joint by manufacturer.

9ball5032

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let's face it. NASA, General Dynamics and Lockheed could get their best engineers working for 2 straight years to find the ultimate pool cue joint. Once found everyone, cue companies included would love it to death and buy, buy, buy. After all the fanfare was over, some company would come out with a different joint with some hair brained explanation as to why it works better. And some pool players would not like the NASA ultimate cue joint and would say, "I don't like being told what to use" or "my cuemaker doesn't use that joint" and we would all be back to where we started.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I was under the impression that both the Uni-Loc and Radial pins were proprietary when they were released.
But they were marketed not as a Predator brand at that time, and were not kept as exclusive, but offered out so other cuemakers could use them also.
They were proprietary and sold separately .
I was pretty disappointed when I got the email from Mezz about the pin change. The explanation about shafts now is threaded phenolic etc. Is just a poor excuse. It reminds me of when Tiger switched from Radial to their proprietary 3/8-9 ACME pin.
Boy, pity the poor souls who paid for that tap .

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let's face it. NASA, General Dynamics and Lockheed could get their best engineers working for 2 straight years to find the ultimate pool cue joint. Once found everyone, cue companies included would love it to death and buy, buy, buy. After all the fanfare was over, some company would come out with a different joint with some hair brained explanation as to why it works better. And some pool players would not like the NASA ultimate cue joint and would say, "I don't like being told what to use" or "my cuemaker doesn't use that joint" and we would all be back to where we started.
I wish NASA would spend half an hour determining suitable synthetic replacements for tips and slate.

Thunder Thighs

I'm your Huckleberry
Silver Member
Both pins you mentioned are made by Uniloc. One is called the Quick Release and the other is the Radial.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
The Radial and the Uni-loc were invented by Paul Castain and Bill Stroud. They are now part of the PredatorGroup. Lots of co's/makers have used the Radial and UL joints over the years. Both are available to anyone who wants them. Atlas sells them.
Right on... thank you for passing that on.

I just looked on the Atlas website, and they also offer the Wavy pin/tap. So that would mean a host of cue makers could use the Wavy as well if they chose to. Again, it doesn't seem like Mezz is some evil entity across the sea scheming to rob people of their money by forcing them into a weird joint design.

I can say that if it weren't for the Uni-Loc only design of the predator P3. I'd probably be playing with one. Guess that makes Predator evil, and I should never buy one of their products again. That said, I am heavily considering a Z3 bored with a wavy thread. ..available through Mezz

Hopefully it's obvious that I'm a fan of the Mezz/Exceed product, and honestly do think this new pin drama is much ado about nothing. Let's save all the hate for if/when they decide to discontinue all the prior pin types for the Wavy2 and force prior owners to either retool their old cues or burn them.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just a bunch of guesses. Who cares how many players they sponsor. Predator sponsors WAAAY more. Do they use some oddball pin? No. Until i get a response FROM MEZZ on this i'm still in the 'money grab' boat. I use a Mezz and really like it. I doubt i ever buy another product of their's. The use of these goofy proprietary pins is kinda chicken-shit imo. When the Wavy first came out they could have easily used a Radial pin but they didn't. Why?? $$$$$

Just a bunch of guesses. Who cares how many players they sponsor. Predator sponsors WAAAY more. Do they use some oddball pin? No. Until i get a response FROM MEZZ on this i'm still in the 'money grab' boat. I use a Mezz and really like it. I doubt i ever buy another product of their's. The use of these goofy proprietary pins is kinda chicken-shit imo. When the Wavy first came out they could have easily used a Radial pin but they didn't. Why?? $$$$$$$.
I think the number of players they sponsor is relevant, maybe I am the only one. How many pool players does Predator sponsor? I looked at their website and could not find any mention of who they sponsor. I believe Mezz already answered why they created the new joint as well. Not sure about your money conspiracy as well. Either way we can just agree to disagree. In the end Mezz has made the change and certainly are going to go with the new pin design moving forward regardless of what anyone thinks..

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
How many pool players does Predator sponsor? I looked at their website and could not find any mention of who they sponsor.
Somewhere between 50-60 that are listed on the website. Who knows how many more that don't have a spot on the webpage

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I like the Radial joint, half of it is the fact it's a lot easier to say than 3/8 x 10 or Quick Release LOL
I'm not even joking, the other joints are just so clumsy to say and Radial is a nice smooth sounding word.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I like the Radial joint, half of it is the fact it's a lot easier to say than 3/8 x 10 or Quick Release LOL
I'm not even joking, the other joints are just so clumsy to say and Radial is a nice smooth sounding word.
Try this....: "Waaaavy, alright... alright... alright...." :)

dirtvictim

Ignore the entitled they haven't earned respect
It's what the retail market terms "change for the sake of change" every industry does it.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is the “wavy” joint actually wavy in some way? Serious question, I’ve never seen one up close.