So what's new in the Cue Building world?

bruppert

<Insert witty comment>
Silver Member
Hey guys, how's everything been going? Hopefully everyone made out OK thru COVID. Not sure how many people remember me but I used to post a lot in the Cuemaker section several years ago. I remember several of the names I see in here but also see a lot of new ones. I was a machinist for a long time but switched to computers in the mid 90's. I decided a bit ago to get back into building cues but mostly just for fun. It'll be a few months before I get my Cuesmith so I'm just building out my shop and buying stuff here and there.

Sadly, I sold everything back in 2016. Although it helped pay for a new pool and cabana, I think I probably made a mistake. One of the biggest deciding factor was where I lived, Baltimore. I knew I probably wouldn't be able to sell my cues for a whole lot given the cue builders within 30 minutes of me. Builders such as Tim Scruggs and Mike Cochran were about 3 miles away, Bob Frey was maybe 5, then there was Phillippi, Mike Lambros, Tom Trott, Gene Newport (my One Pocket buddy), Black Boar, Leon Sly, Joss Cues and not sure who else I am forgetting. Some pretty stiff competition. It was also eating up a lot of my time.

What I didn't put enough weight into was that I liked doing it and I didn't really need the money (although extra cash is always nice). I should have just built them the way I wanted and gave them away or maybe just charge what it cost me. Even though I am competitive and like to excel at stuff, I think I've gotten to the point where that doesn't matter so much and I can enjoy things without being especially good at them. Like Pool, I will never advance past a SL 6 and that's cool.... I like playing and a little friendly competition is nice.

I see there's been some changes in places that sell supplies and such. Several things I bought are no longer available. I see Joe B is getting out of the wood business. Chris H. told me Bassell is long gone, shame he had some good ideas. BF used to sell one piece spliced blanks but that guy died and they no longer carry them. Doubt I'll get another Tip Centralizer. I looked through a few posts but didn't see any new innovative gadgets. I'll have to look more though, a couple people in the past came up with good tools.

So just wondering what the latest things are like what tips and ferrules people are requesting? Who's making things like carbide sanding mandrels or wrap fixtures? Anyone selling good spliced blanks? I even need to figure out the cue dimensions I used to use, I sold my big binder of info along with everything else. Gawd, just realized I don't have the calcs I used to determine the final weights of the individual parts. Guess I'll just have to tell people they'll be somewhere between 15 and 30 oz.

Anyway, just thought I'd say hey. Feel feel to say hello back, or send a private message. I'm living in SC now but my phone # is still the same.

B

Oh, found this pic of one of the Camphor blocks I had. Man, shoulda hung onto that one.

Camphor_Burl.jpg

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Prather, advertises on here, also makes FS blanks.

Not advertising but as an answer to your Q, i make 'em very sporadically, sneaky pete style only (no veneers), sometimes 6 point.
As you allude to for your life, too many other irons in the fire to settle down and actually become a cuemaker. But would miss it if not one of my options. :)

smt

billsey

Registered
Does anyone sell full splice blocks ready to glue up, so you can put your own veneers in? It seems like getting the jigs setup to cut the initial angles is a blocking point for me...

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone sell full splice blocks ready to glue up, so you can put your own veneers in? It seems like getting the jigs setup to cut the initial angles is a blocking point for me...

Do you know how and have the jigs to cut the angles on the veneers but not the butt and forearm? Cutting the proper angles on the veneers consistently can be more difficult, depending on the specific equipment. The glue up is NOT a trivial aspect of veneered FS making. Also, you would have to rely on the person making the butts and forearms to tell you the specific angle or very carefully measure what they send you. What you are asking for is possible but not necessarily feasible.

bruppert

<Insert witty comment>
Silver Member
Thanks for the replies. Looks like Prather has increased what he sell and Atlas has removed some things I used to buy. Shame Joe is getting out of the wood business, I got a lot of nice wood from him.... love those WOW fronts!

Whats everyone using for shaft/wood sealer? I know I used the Shaft Sealer II from Joe B for a while. I eventually bought something else but lord only knows what that was.

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Please allow me to lead by example, the op had a question, here is one answer.

Carbon fiber.

It's usually imported, few make their own.

I make my own and they are straight, no taper rolls at all. A dial indicator on one showed the center within .003", so little that you can't see it with your eyes.

NEXT UP?

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Think man old Cuemakers are dieing off, quiting, or cutting back.

Some young gun in Asia are starting to crack the US market with functional art.

Southwest is still taking names, and numbers. Delivery could be who know when. Nice problem to have list of buyers in line.

Last edited:

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Think man old Cuemakers are dieting off, quiting, or cutting back.

Some young gun in Asia are starting to crack the US market with functional art.

Southwest is still taking names, and numbers. Delivery could be who know when. Nice problem to have list of buyers in line.
Sometimes, You get what you pay for.
And sometimes, you pay for what you don't get.
As much as I would enjoy defining that phrase, my loyalty to my craft prohibits it.
To bad too.
Everyone would learn a shit load from it.