Some days...

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I wonder if this happens to anyone else? Some days I look through my cue collection and enjoy them so much I just feel so blessed to have them and marvel at a years long collection of cues that will never be made again! Then on another day, I feel like it may be time to put them up for sale and let someone else enjoy them. Hopefully as much as I have of course.

Stickman9

I would keep them unless you need to make room for new cues. I have 7 nice cues (one more on the way) and I play with all of them. I keep them in the cue rack next to my table, which allows me to easily grab one and play with it. Plus I get to see them every day when I go to work in my home office.

I agree with telinoz about regret. I had a very pretty Schon cue with floating points and a McDermott D-5 that I regret selling.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The people who appreciate custom cues from well respected cue makers are a dying breed
modern players want a cuetc or something similar
the value of most cues are not appreciating significantly
i sold my collection over the past 2-3 years and cashed out
and have no regrets
they just sat in a case
i played with them occasionally but it was dead money sitting there
i kept a few i really like and am very happy with my decision
jmho

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The people who appreciate custom cues from well respected cue makers are a dying breed
modern players want a cuetc or something similar
the value of most cues are not appreciating significantly
i sold my collection over the past 2-3 years and cashed out
and have no regrets
they just sat in a case
i played with them occasionally but it was dead money sitting there
i kept a few i really like and am very happy with my decision
jmho
yep. i have my fancy Jensen that sits most of the time. I play with a Mezz and a J&J j'b when i play rotation. Custom cues only appeal to guys probably 40andover. all the young players use production cues for the most part.

Reactions: bbb

AlexandruM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Keep 2-3 cues and sell other ones. Market is hard for custom cues. New players are victim of marketing and choose Mezz, Predator, Cuetec.

xX-Wizard-Xx

i dont like collecting cues .... lots of money in something that is not very stable .... if it warps ... price drops alot on a market that is already harsh ....

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i dont like collecting cues .... lots of money in something that is not very stable .... if it warps ... price drops alot on a market that is already harsh ....
i don't worry about warpage as much as just the state of the collector cue market in general. in 20yrs(probably less) all you'll see is some type of production butt and some variant of a carbon shaft.

Last edited:

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I bought cues mostly for wall art. Production cues. I went nuts and over did it. Most are cased closet queens. I should scale down as it getting late in life and my wife would not know what to do with them. However I enjoy having/looking at them. The Doc Frye stays until. The rest I would be ok without them. But I’m not committed or hard pressed to sell right now and might have to flip a coin. Also have a few nice cases I should part with but the hoarder inside won’t let me. Answering the question…. Yes to different ways on different days. I’m selling/I’m keeping.

xX-Wizard-Xx

i don't worry about warpage as much as just the general state of the collector cue market in general. in 20yrs(probably less) all you'll see is some type of production butt and some variant of a carbon shaft.
The only Cues i buy are #360 style cues. To me they are the most impressive cue. 4 point splices are a dime a dozen ... southwest cues are way more over priced than what value they offer ..... i couldnt imagine paying 5k for a merry widow ....

DJKeys

Sound Design
Silver Member
I have had a lot of cues at one time, had to sell most of them when I was laid off in 2006. I only have two left, and have been playing with the same cue for 7 years now. I still have pictures of all of them-

-dj

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Keep 2-3 cues and sell other ones. Market is hard for custom cues. New players are victim of marketing and choose Mezz, Predator, Cuetec.

Custom Cue is like a Custom Suit, serves same purposed of stock suit.

But even tailoring stock suit, will not be like Custom.

Made from scratch to fit perfect.

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Custom Cue is like a Custom Suit, serves same purposed of stock suit.

But even tailoring stock suit, will not be like Custom.

Made from scratch to fit perfect.

Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why
several of us died of tuberculosis.

• Wow

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very pretty... cue with floating points....
Screenshot_20220922-134856.jpg

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve thought about wtf to do with my collection.

I’ve had some cues 35-36 years.

They are dead money, sure I’m in the black if I sold them all. A few I’ll lose a little on, others are 10X what I paid for them.

It’s a full time job to sell off a big collection. Then there’s the question of what to do with the proceeds of the sales.

There’s some pressure to sell as I don’t feel the long term market favors holding them. Younger people just don’t have the interest in cues we did in the 70’s forward. Simply put-the buyers are dying off. Then there’s no market and the values drop.

Best
Fatboy