something I'm considering...would like opinions

jwalko1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi all:

I have an older Schmelke (sp?) Sneaky Pete. I used to use it for breaking (it is a 21 oz cue...full splice, I believe. 2 piece cue). My challenge is that the shaft is a bit too "whippy" for my taste. I get crazy english with it, but can't control the cue ball when breaking. I've since bought another break cue. The shaft is also a bit warped.

The bad...the cue is to heavy to use as a playing cue (not sure it is adjustable...I'm assuming there is a weight bolt...if not, we could adjust the weight other ways). It is beat up, from me letting other people break with it...the finish is chipped off in some areas, but the basic cue (the wood) is in good condition with no severe dings, scratches or gouges.

I'd like to convert this into a playing cue that is more to my liking. The current joint is wood to wood with a 5/16"-14 pin (I think). Anyway, I m considering adding a collar to the front of the butt piece, maybe adding a butt cap...possibly some rings for design...maybe some additional work...but nothing too fancy. I'll leave it wrap-less. I'd like to reduce the weight to be 18.5 to 19.

Additionally, I'm thinking of either having a new shaft made or buying a new one for it (possibly a LD shaft). My current player is 12.5-13mm...I'd like to have this one between 12 and 12.5mm.

I'm thinking this might be a nice way to get a custom cue for a decent price. My option is just to buy a new shaft and keep it as a breaking cue.

What are the down-sides to what I am thinking? Am I crazy or does this sound do-able (starting with what was a rather low-end production cue)? Any custom cue makers who I should approach to do this kind of work? I'd need some advice as to type of collar (I've always played with Stainless, but might like something else that provides a little more feedback, for example).

Thanks;

John Walko

Lexicologist71

Rabid Schuler fanatic
Silver Member
What I'm reading is that you want a new cue using your wood. You may as well just buy a new cue and keep that one. Using your cue as a basis, a cuemaker would have to remove some parts before they even started on making a cue from your present cue. Using your cue would double the amount of work necessary to get the same end results as starting from scratch.

jwalko1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is kind of what I was wondering.

I read about people making conversions, but I guess those are mostly from one-piece cues. I was hoping I could have a conversion of this made without having to remove the pin (not sure that is possible).

Thanks;

John

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it can happen

there are plenty of cue makers on azb that can take your lower end cue and make a shaft, install rings , and do a refinish and when done you will have a very nice player. are there plenty of cue makers that will take your $125 cue and make you a $500 cue and charge you $25labor?
NO

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
there are plenty of cue makers on azb that can take your lower end cue and make a shaft, install rings , and do a refinish and when done you will have a very nice player. are there plenty of cue makers that will take your $125 cue and make you a $500 cue and charge you $25labor?
NO

Good Point,

Your are correct at 500.00.

If you were to do a job like that, it should cost the same as making a new cue minus the cost of the wood.

You must be paid for your time!

Rick

TripXQ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cue

Hi,
Remember time is money and trying to deal with all the questions an inexperienced player has in trying to make a silk purse from a sows ear can be costly. Don't be afraid to start the custom cue building process. Many cue makers are more friendly ($$$$$) when asked to build one of their own lowend cues than start with a tomato plant stake and construct a Szamboti out of it. The overall cost will be very similar and possibly less for the lowend custom. Find a cuemaker you can trust and start the discussion. You will thank me for the final outcome.
Tom Gedris, Triple Cross Cues

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been considering such a thing myself. My assumption was that it would simply be like providing the blank for construction of a new cue. As long as the blank was of acceptable quality I figured it would cost like any new build.

I wouldn't expect somebody to work with crap, but a lot of lower end cues can provide a good blank. In fact I think we have seen that numerous times.

The thing is to talk directly with an individual cue maker I would think. Nice to hammer out the general idea here though. Nice input guys, thank you. Those of us with crazy ideas do need input....or a swift kick.... :thumbup: