Something is wrong with Team USA

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
One time in the past when it looked like it could be a day 3 ending, they reduced the number of matches played on day 3 to make a day 4 more likely. I'm sure it will have a significant economic impact on Barry if it ends today. I think we can expect only 4 matches today.
If they play 4 matches it will probably be over

decent dennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Justin B has covid and there has been no update on if JustinB is better or not.

Team USA is stressed from COVID.
On the 30th he posted he was feeling better and was watching. He also said on the snake issue 'Shaw should look in the mirror'.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
What if Shane had won the match vs Shaw on day 2?
He had that "blue steel" face in the first couple of racks. Then hooked on the break he sells out the 4 on a kick safe. His total demeanor changed.
Had Shane won this grudge match of sorts, I think it would have made a big difference on the days overall outcome.
What if the US were to execute as well as Europe in the big moments in matches? In the end, pedigrees shine brightest when matches hang in the balance, and when the finish line has been in sight, Europe has tended to execute very well, while the US has missed opportunities, especially in the Robinson vs Kaci singles match and the SVB/Thorpe double match that got away when Shane hooked Billy with the finish line in sight. As you note, had he won the safety battle on the four against Shaw he wins that match, too.

In the end, the "what if" that really matters is "What if we played as well as they do?" If we did , we'd do better when opportunities knocked, but we don't. Team Europe's pocketing has been better, their position play has been better, and their speed control has been better. That has made them tough to beat.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What if the US were to execute as well as Europe in the big moments in matches? In the end, pedigrees shine brightest when matches hang in the balance, and when the finish line has been in sight, Europe has tended to execute very well, while the US has missed opportunities, especially in the Robinson vs Kaci singles match and the SVB/Thorpe double match that got away when Shane hooked Billy with the finish line in sight. As you note, had he won the safety battle on the four against Shaw he wins that match, too.

In the end, the "what if" that really matters is "What if we played as well as they do?" If we did , we'd do better when opportunities knocked, but we don't. Team Europe's pocketing has been better, their position play has been better, and their speed control has been better. That has made them tough to beat.
I agree with you on the execution and pedigree. That 6 ball position and Chris over rolling for the 8 was hard to watch. I just thought that moment/ match with Shaw was a turning point.

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not of the opinion that a coach makes any difference at the Mosconi. The matchups make little to no difference and the fist pumps don't much matter to players that have all succeeded as individuals in top level competition. These players don't need the game explained to them on the day of a match, especially not during a match, and strategy needs to be in place before arrival at the Mosconi.

It's the period leading up to the Mosconi in which the coach makes the difference. Preparing his team to succeed was what Johann did best. I believe that Team USA might still be way behind if Johan were there coaching them, but less so if he'd been the one that prepared them.

I really don't believe that Team USA lacks either teamwork or killer instinct here and if I might quote the legendary Irving Crane [the only confidence that's worth a damn is the confidence that comes from knowing you're fully prepared to succeed]. Manufactured confidence makes little to no difference. Talent, preparation and focus are the ingredients for success.

Let's cut Jeremy Jones some slack because the pandemic denied him the opportunity to prepare his team with the thoroughness that would have been possible had the pandemic not come. Yes, it's true that Europe was, similarly, denied the chance to thoroughly prepare, but I'd suggest they don't need it as much.

In short, Johan wouldn't have made much difference given that he'd not have had a fair chance to prepare his team.
Stu, I mostly agree with you. Strategy should be explained before the tournament starts. Tactics should be learned well before being selected for the tournament. You would never hear a baseball coach telling a player to "keep your eye on the ball" during the World Series. These folks are professionals and know the basics at an unconscious level and bringing them down to the conscious level interferes with performance. And that my friend is the difference between JJ and Johan. Watch both coaches today. Johan is smiling, being generally upbeat, and encouraging his players. JJ on the other hand will tell specific tactics about the matches that put players in a conscious state. (Reference: The For Stages of Competence).

Jimbojim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First off, I have to say that Woodward and Thorpe showing up with matching mullets just looks stupid and to me it sounds like they weren't taking this seriously. I might be wrong but that's what it looked like to me.

Tyler Styer might not be world class yet but I think he is the future of american pool.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do know this,Jeremy’s first words this morning should be “ Anybody that thinks we can’t comeback and win this leave now”.
Very sad that it looks like we may not even make it to the last day, but no one can say this is unexpected. Our goal should be just to survive to play another day! Today we will truly see what kind of heart these guys have!

gdc25

I call 'em like I see 'em
Silver Member
- Lack of Discipline (too much Grab Ass, not enough focus)
- More worried about hair style than performance
- Did I mention lack of discipline?
- Did I mention lack of focus?

All 5 members of Team USA are capable of beating all 5 members of Team Europe on "any given day". Were this a different sport, I'd say sit the starters and let them think about what could have been.

As it stands... We're back to listening to the Europeans brag for a year.

I'm very, VERY disappointed in the way Team USA has represented me and mine this year. Very dissapointed.

Reactions: pab

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Announcer: What is the biggest difference you see between you guys and the Americans?
Filler (after shutting out Sky): We are just much better prepared.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is shameful. I watched for 5 mins today and it was obvious that they are mailing it in. Picking up their 2nd place check and going home. I don’t mind losing. That’s a great team we are up against and expecting them to win 3 years in a row is a lot to ask but this is a shameful performance. I’m not going to even get into skylar and Thorpe are more interested in their hill billy hair cuts then they are playing pool. They deserved to get their ass’s kicked And the only people who should be back on the team our svb and Robinson. If your going to suck you might well do it with guys that care.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Everything.. you look and act like a professional if you want to play like one. They look like silly
They won the last two yrs right????? So goofy haircuts is why they're getting beat????? Gimme a break.

surlytempo

They won the last two yrs right????? So goofy haircuts is why they're getting beat????? Gimme a break.
It speaks to something that's widely understood in other sports. Mentality is everything. How you dress and carry yourself, how seriously you treat your game is a very good indication of your maximum playing ability. This is true not just in sports but in virtually all other areas of life. It's not about blaming the mullet, but about understanding how these players treat the event and themselves. USA might as well have dressed like clowns.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It speaks to something that's widely understood in other sports. Mentality is everything. How you dress and carry yourself, how seriously you treat your game is a very good indication of your maximum playing ability. This is true not just in sports but in virtually all other areas of life. It's not about blaming the mullet, but about understanding how these players treat the event and themselves. USA might as well have dressed like clowns.
I've watched almost every one of these going back at least 15yrs. Any winning-losing we(US) has done has had NOTHING to do with dress or hair styles. "Oh my, i missed that kick safe. I better go check to see if my shirt is tucked in and my hair is good". Ludicrous.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Everyone has made mistakes. But Shane, Billy and Chris shouldn’t feel bad about their performances. Certain mistakes, yes. But they seem the most ready for the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

decent dennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've watched almost every one of these going back at least 15yrs. Any winning-losing we(US) has done has had NOTHING to do with dress or hair styles. "Oh my, i missed that kick safe. I better go check to see if my shirt is tucked in and my hair is good". Ludicrous.
Bet Kaci checks to see if his shirt is tucked in.