south west with a maple forearm and butt is a bad choice?

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for your reply. Actually, I've only been playing billiards for half a year. Like a level 1 player picking a Level 100 weapon. The main reason for buying this cue is that it looks good, and the brand convinced me that the workmanship and materials would be good. I'll get my cue tomorrow. I'm really, really looking forward to it:D
Where from? The bumper has that stuffed in look; something I don't recall from the 90s SWs

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I've only been playing billiards for half a year. ...
I'm curious. Have you started using much spin on the cue ball yet? Backspin and follow? Sidespin? I think that's were you may really see a difference with the Southwest.

• Haha
Reactions: bbb

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Silver Member
These two practices probably don't have that much time for pool
just local small business
Just giving you grief. To be honest the best thing I’ve heard about owning a Southwest, is if it doesn’t play to your preferences, you will get your money back or more if you got in right. You can’t lose. I hope you continue enjoying the game and the SW is the one. I just shot last Monday for the first time in four years w a maple full splice into maple, I believe to be prototype, Jackpot built by Schmelke. I was shocked at how good the cue hit with both shafts that had different tapers.

Thxms

I'm curious. Have you started using much spin on the cue ball yet? Backspin and follow? Sidespin? I think that's were you may really see a difference with the Southwest.
no really,its hard!maybe i will take a year or two to fully understand what you're saying

I have owned them and played them. For the life of me I can’t figure out the attraction.

Sent from my iPad using AzBilliards Forums

Thxms

Just giving you grief. To be honest the best thing I’ve heard about owning a Southwest, is if it doesn’t play to your preferences, you will get your money back or more if you got in right. You can’t lose. I hope you continue enjoying the game and the SW is the one. I just shot last Monday for the first time in four years w a maple full splice into maple, I believe to be prototype, Jackpot built by Schmelke. I was shocked at how good the cue hit with both shafts that had different tapers.
i know what you mean.if i sell immediately,It's worth 70% of the original price,Because of the tariffs and the profits of the secondary merchants.
but bussiness make money its normal and i dont sell even its not suit me

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i know what you mean.if i sell immediately,It's worth 70% of the original price,Because of the tariffs and the profits of the secondary merchants.
but bussiness make money its normal and i dont sell even its not suit me

east asia?

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Pretty sure the posting said He thought it was the best combo for a playing cue, in regards to harmonics or tonality. Again, I know nothing about Southwest, just recalling a prior post. I’m sure someone could find it here on AZ.
Laurie Franklin told me that Jerry's favorites for his own playing were (in no particular order) goncalo alves, pau ferro, and macassar ebony.

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Silver Member
Laurie Franklin told me that Jerry's favorites for his own playing were (in no particular order) goncalo alves, pau ferro, and macassar ebony.
That sounds like what I’ve read. thanks for the info. I’ve also heard a lot of builders like Bacote also. The person who I think has the most knowledge of wood from my experience is Eric at Sugartree, whatever a wood expert is called, he is. I believe there is a degree for it and he has a PHD.

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Silver Member
I am sure with your experience level you can build your game on any cue. If the Southwest brings you confidence you will learn to shoot with it out of pure belief that you have the best equipment. Just remember the cliche it is the Indian not the arrow, but it helps if the arrow gives you confidence. Enjoy the cue. If it doesn’t work out I’d recommend a Runde, but I’m am bias.

Thxms

I am sure with your experience level you can build your game on any cue. If the Southwest brings you confidence you will learn to shoot with it out of pure belief that you have the best equipment. Just remember the cliche it is the Indian not the arrow, but it helps if the arrow gives you confidence. Enjoy the cue. If it doesn’t work out I’d recommend a Runde, but I’m am bias.
Can't agree anymore

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Silver Member
Can't agree anymore
Im really rooting for you and the Southwest. I think all members who really want to find their dream cue will be too. I hope you post your experience going forward. I can tell you are driven and will become the best that your ability allows. I would highly recommend getting a copy of “play great pool” by Mark Wilson. It will have everything you need on paper to succeed. Glaw your journey. I hadn’t hit a ball in four years until last Monday and it all came rushing back in how I was mentally missing a part of myself. That the crack of the rack freed all other thoughts and stress to just see the pattern and try and correct each shot that the shape got out of line.

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't own a SW, never will. To old to wait, to tight to spend, to many other interests. But if I did I wouldn't tell any of my "friends" what I had or what it's worth. Somehow the word gets out and all of a sudden, poof, the cue is gone. Maybe with dead family members in the vicinity. Bragging rights come with a risk. Sorry, just sayin'.

DJKeys

Sound Design
Silver Member
The vast majority of how a cue plays is in the shaft. A Southwest shaft may or may not suit your current game, but you can always get an add-on shaft that works for you. In general, and in my opinion, a Southwest is best left in storage since it is so collectible. The main advantage of a Southwest butt is that it impresses those who know what it is. Order what looks good to you. A fancier one will probably appreciate more but the cue market is fickle.
I have owned a couple and hit with many SW cues. The hit was pretty much different in all cases. Some were stiff, some were very soft, some in between. As Bob noted, the shaft, ferrule, and tip have much more to do with the hit than the type of wood in the butt.

-dj

dspaboss

I don’t know much about Southwest Cues, but I believe at one time someone posted the wood combo that Jerry liked the best. I’d go with that if available. I think it was Pau Ferro and possibly rosewood, which is probably not available. Otherwise I’d like a Birdseye plain jane with rings at all points.
I remember hearing from a reliable source many years back that Jerry's personal favorite was Goncalo Alves.