Southwest Cue Wait

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Guys -

I am not bitching so dont think this thread is about that. In fact, I had to laugh a little. I sent a note to Laurie and told her that many years ago I asked to be put on her waiting list. I am usually pretty good about writing down dates, but this one I hadn't.

I told her that I thought it had been 8-10 years ago, but wasn't sure. I explained that life and time passes and if you aren't careful they both pass very quickly. The last I had heard the wait was around 10 years or so, so I thought I might be getting near the top.

Laurie explained that they are working on the list and where they are at on the list January 2006. I was put on the list in June of 2006. She further explained that because of the Covid they are down to only half of their normal crew so my cue is probably about a year out.

So my brothers (and sisters), it has been 15 years. My question is if I die before I get this cue am I still on the list? LMAO

Best of rolls,

Ken

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
If I had a newborn grand child, it might be worth ordering one. The kid might want to play pool by the time it's made. But then I'd have to leave money in my will to pay for it.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Guys -

I am not bitching so dont think this thread is about that. In fact, I had to laugh a little. I sent a note to Laurie and told her that many years ago I asked to be put on her waiting list. I am usually pretty good about writing down dates, but this one I hadn't.

I told her that I thought it had been 8-10 years ago, but wasn't sure. I explained that life and time passes and if you aren't careful they both pass very quickly. The last I had heard the wait was around 10 years or so, so I thought I might be getting near the top.

Laurie explained that they are working on the list and where they are at on the list January 2006. I was put on the list in June of 2006. She further explained that because of the Covid they are down to only half of their normal crew so my cue is probably about a year out.

So my brothers (and sisters), it has been 15 years. My question is if I die before I get this cue am I still on the list? LMAO

Best of rolls,

Ken
LOL. Any man would bitch if they were made to wait 15 years. What is wrong with these Southwest people? Why hasn't investors like Marcus Simonis come long and turn around their business into efficient production machine? People like Simonis have turned around more factories making more complex stuff like drums, audio speakers. These are pool cues for goodness what is so hard about making cues. Jesus Christ, it ain't making rockets.
:ROFLMAO:

smoochie

NotLikeThis
I don't get whats so special about southwest I've tried one from a friend and it shot normal, just as normal as your production JOSS cue which is a great cue tbh....so I am asking, other than it's resale value, whats special about southwest? seriously. All I can see is just a value, and for me the classic tranditional look just a meh in this day and age, FYI this is just my opinion I know some peeps out there love the classic look.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I don't get whats so special about southwest I've tried one from a friend and it shot normal, just as normal as your production JOSS cue which is a great cue tbh....so I am asking, other than it's resale value, whats special about southwest? seriously. All I can see is just a value, and for me the classic tranditional look just a meh in this day and age, FYI this is just my opinion I know some peeps out there love the classic look.
Exclusivity

dirtvictim

Ignore the entitled they haven't earned respect
Southwest is a phenomenon unto itself. Laurie is awesome to deal with. From what I've been told it takes about a year to complete a single cue start to finish making the whole process as precise as possible. Of course my first SW was in 1982 for 275.00 no wait.

tenfttall

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LOL. Any man would bitch if they were made to wait 15 years. What is wrong with these Southwest people? Why hasn't investors like Marcus Simonis come long and turn around their business into efficient production machine? People like Simonis have turned around more factories making more complex stuff like drums, audio speakers. These are pool cues for goodness what is so hard about making cues. Jesus Christ, it ain't making rockets.
:ROFLMAO:

I’m going to assume you are trolling. South West has no interest in “ramping up” production. I’m sure if Laurie would ever take investors or a buyout, she has had MANY offers. Not everyone cares to make as money as they can by sacrificing other priorities. If anyone thinks Laurie isn’t a shrewd and capable business owner, I would invite them to compare their wait list, loyalty and resale value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is still way better than the list for Dennis Searing. I got on his list when he had it all on his computer. He lost the complete list due to a hurricane. I called him once afterward and he told me that himself. He then asked me to remind him of the build we spoke about. I mentioned the wood I wanted and he remembered me immediately and said he would add me in again. Fast forward another 7 years later and I sent him an inquiry by mail with a stamped return envelope. Never heard another word. I sent the mail over 8 years ago so all in all I waited for 20 years for nothing. I want to add I am not mad at Dennis at all, it is what it is....

Laurie is doing a wonderful job IMO, especially when you compare her to her competition. Some never call, some just steal your down payment, others go out of business and others just vanish! LOL...

So Ken, it can always be worse. Hope you get a cue and enjoy it immensely!

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I couldn't imagine waiting 15 or 20 years for anything. I get anxious when Amazon is a day late.

I get anxious waiting for a lightbulb to come on!

I wonder how many people on the list are buying to simply resell?

I personally do think they need to do something about it but, I get it. They have their process and the people that have been doing that process for a long time (I don't remember hearing otherwise) so why f up a good thing. However, 14-15 years is kind of up there. I just hit 51 and see no reason to put my name on the list.

ChrisSjoblom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm thinking that Southwest cues are kind of like Franklin barbecue. Damn good product, but not worth the wait.

I did the waiting line at Franklin once, about 6 years ago, and I was very satisfied with my meal. But I could also take you to any one of a dozen bbq joints in south and central Texas that are just as good, with lower prices and no waiting. Similarly, I have shot with a couple Southwest cues over the years and found them to have a really high quality look and feel. However, I have also owned and/or shot with several other high quality makes, both custom and production models, that I felt were in no way inferior to Southwest.

As to business practices that make people wait as long as they do, so what? It's their business, and they can run it any way they want. Both businesses have a loyal following that's large enough to keep them profitable, so obviously their respective business models are not hurting them.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Definitely a job security aspect to limited production and high demand. Plus, if I really, really, REALLY wanted one...I could pay double ...see 'em for sale here all the time. Also, gotta be an ego/status thing connected to them.

All that said, I sincerely doubt a Southwest would play any better than my Keith Josey.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Definitely a job security aspect to limited production and high demand. Plus, if I really, really, REALLY wanted one...I could pay double ...see 'em for sale here all the time. Also, gotta be an ego/status thing connected to them.

All that said, I sincerely doubt a Southwest would play any better than my Keith Josey.
And, no matter how long you wait, they ain’t no Jackpots. :)

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I got my satin, or pacifier, cue last year and it makes the wait much easier!
According to the timeline in Ken’s post I should be about 3 or 4 years out.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
she likes what she is doing and how she does it. maximizing the profit isnt always everyone's goal in life. being happy doing what you do is the real thing.

whats the difference anyway she doesnt make you pay in advance like the crooks out there that live off your money while they tell you lies about the status of your cue.