Southwest with Lakewood shaft

batman61554

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wanted to know what people thought about a Southwest with a lakewood shaft? Is it better to shoot with the original shaft or the
lakewood shaft? Give me some input and thanks.

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
I wanted to know what people thought about a Southwest with a lakewood shaft? Is it better to shoot with the original shaft or the
lakewood shaft? Give me some input and thanks.

I live in Lakewood, what part of lakewood did the shaft come from.

Mr Hoppe

Sawdust maker
Silver Member
Entirely personal preference, but don't ditch the original shaft for resale value. I know a guy who shoots with a Predator on his SW . . . some would say that's insanity. :shrug:
Mr H

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Entirely personal preference, but don't ditch the original shaft for resale value. I know a guy who shoots with a Predator on his SW . . . some would say that's insanity. :shrug:
Mr H

thats like building a 67 fastback and dropping a chevy engine in it. :shocked2::speechless::nono::scratchhead:

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
I wanted to know what people thought about a Southwest with a Lakewood shaft? Is it better to shoot with the original shaft or the Lakewood shaft?
Give me some input and thanks.

It is all in what you like.

Some players put Predator or OB1 shafts on all kinds of cue butts.
Haven't heard of a Lakewood Shaft unless it refers to wood recovered from the bottom of a lake ... like "Sunken Maple".

Nothing wrong with customizing a cue to make it play the way you want it to. Why should others opinion matter if YOU like it?
If YOU cant tell if the shaft is an improvement over the original then it is probably a mistake and waste of money.

I have always said most players buy a new cue to impress their buddies more than to please themselves.

ratcues

No yodeling, please.
Silver Member
I have always said most players buy a new cue to impress their buddies more than to please themselves.

I've said that about 9 out of 10 ivory ferrules that I install. In fact, I talk more people out of them than I install.

Back to the point of the OP. Willie is right. If you like the feel of a lakewood shaft, by all means, get one and play until your heart is content. You could always have one made with a generic collar to fit your SW and, if you don't like it, sell it.

Last edited:

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've said that about 9 out of 10 ivory ferrules that I install. In fact, I talk more people out of them than I install.

Back to the point of the OP. Willie is right. If you like the feel of a lakewood shaft, by all means, get one and play until your heart is content. You could always have one made with a generic collar to fit your SW and, if you don't like it, sell it.

I agree 100% with both of you. A cue is a tool and it should be adapted to work for YOU as best as possible. I love S/W cues as they are built so well but truthfully, I don't like their hit.
As far as ivory ferrules go, I have many dozen of them and do my best to talk everyone out of one even though it costs me plenty of money doing so. If I can't talk them out of one then I charge them the outrageous price of 75.00 just because that is the standard price and if the customer is that hard headed I might as well get his money as he's going to throw it at somebody else anyway. I bought a tusk so I have about 4.00 invested in the ivory and get up to 75.00 to install one but I would much rather put on a LBM ferrule for 25.00 as it is a much better material for what it is being asked to do.

Dick

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
dick send me all them ivory ferrules then you dont have to worry about it anymore....lol

I knew that was coming when I posted. The fact is, I'm a cue-maker, not a supplier. I seldom buy materials that have different grades and I never sell materials to other cue builders. I should have added to my post that that was just my opinion. Others have differing ones and I can respect that. Most of my customers tend to listen to my recommendations however, so, other than a few classics such as a Szamboti or such, I install few ivory ferrules.

Dick

butterflycues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lake Salvage

The lake salvage shafts or timeless timber or lake wood as you call it is prefered by most players that have tried it. Not many say they don't love it. At least I haven't heard any one tell me that. It is a darker wood and sometimes you have some staining from the water. You just have to try it and see for your self. Butterflycues