Speed Pool, what is this Crap?

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Also from Shane's facebook:
Shane VanBoening
I have to say the Guiness World series Speed Pool is the best tourney I ever play in my whole career. Excitement, Pressure, Drama, and simply just fun. If there is a way to make pool to be famous. Guiness has solved the problem. This is definitely the key to make pool to grow and more popular. Forget one pocket, 9 ball, 10 ball and 8 ball. Done! I hope this speed pool takes off.

Whether you a agree with the format or not, it appears the players are having a ball. Nothing wrong with trying something new.

Dave

randallt6

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
who are we as AZ posters to question this game when the Pro's are saying how much they love it and how THEY think its the future of pool..... I havent even seen it been played it but I can imagine its very entertaining to watch and can take away that boring factor to help pool grow.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Shane VanBoening
I have to say the Guiness World series Speed Pool is the best tourney I ever play in my whole career. Excitement, Pressure, Drama, and simply just fun. If there is a way to make pool to be famous. Guiness has solved the problem. This is definitely the key to make pool to grow and more popular. Forget one pocket, 9 ball, 10 ball and 8 ball. Done! I hope this speed pool takes off.

Whether you a agree with the format or not, it appears the players are having a ball. Nothing wrong with trying something new.

Dave

So he's already forsaking Bonus Ball for speed pool? How about speedier Bonus Ball?

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
The Guinness World Series of Pool seems to be "speed" pool this year. I've been watching it live on star sports all day long. I don't get it. You have these middle aged guys running around the table.

It's comical. I wouldn't pay to watch this stuff.

It's not pool, it's Clownish, Circus like.

Listen to the sound of a grumpy old man.....

Get off my lawn, ya damned kids!

markpatrick

Cardinals
Silver Member
excellent point

I know it's heresy to profess these sentiments, but I've watched enough speed pool to say that the guys who excel at it would excel in any pool game, speed or otherwise. I'd love to see all the wiseguys on this forum take a shot at it. Would be good for a laugh.

Bobby McGrath out of Northern Illinois has won the speed pool competition a couple of times, he is a stone jam up player and has taken down many tournaments in the Midwest.

Justin Bergman and Jesse Bowman both can break and run a rack in just over 60 seconds.
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=328177713868950 Justin Bergman--not speed pool- just a speedy player, just over a minute. Less minus the Joe Mele stall.
I think 1st place is $50,000, now that is funny. :withstupid::withstupid::withstupid::withstupid:

Last edited:

Lumocolor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It just sounds like another thing that amateurs wouldnt give 2 shits about.

Can anyone honestly see a speed pool league with 40 guys running around tables pushing each other out of the way because the tables are 4 feet apart? One guy spills some beer on the floor and another steps in the beer slips and breaks his leg...lol

darren_simion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
watching it right now. APpleton looks to be beasting it out there. Consistently under 60 secs. He just sent Shane out of the tourny

LAlouie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane VanBoening

Dave

It hasn't worked.

thefifteen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Karl Boyes won the final against Darren Appleton, Darren beat Chris Melling in the semi, Karl won against Orcollo.

I think this is Karl's game, he was consistently the quickest and most consistent all week, although Melling recorded the fastest rack at 36 seconds. Karl had the quickest 5 rack score at 3min 38 seconds

Pangit

Banned
Karl Boyes won the final against Darren Appleton, Darren beat Chris Melling in the semi, Karl won against Orcollo.

I think this is Karl's game, he was consistently the quickest and most consistent all week, although Melling recorded the fastest rack at 36 seconds. Karl had the quickest 5 rack score at 3min 38 seconds

Whatever you want to say ....it won't stand the test of time. It's a Fad. The time keepers missed many "calls"?

No one likes slow play but the only rule is the 10 ball last...shoot any ball you want until then?

Can't play a well thought ought safety?

One has to be able to play defense to be considered a true "sport", right?

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This stuff needs to be shown to the guys who analyze their shots for 5 minutes and then take 30 warm-up/rehersal strokes.

9BallPaul

Banned
Speed pool also beats the socks off those ridiculous trick-shot competitions. Haven't seen one of those phony broadcasts in a while. Sorry, Mike Massey, you're a find player in your own right, but I hate trick shots.

thefifteen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
$41.5k, for the winner is more than any other individual tournament this year. Crazy really the top prize is higher than the World Nine Ball or the US Open.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like fun to me.

Kind of entertaining to see.

Very different from others of course.

I think it's cool, I've nothing against it.

trustyrusty

I'm better with a wedge!
Silver Member
Bobby McGrath out of Northern Illinois has won the speed pool competition a couple of times, he is a stone jam up player and has taken down many tournaments in the Midwest.

Justin Bergman and Jesse Bowman both can break and run a rack in just over 60 seconds.
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=328177713868950 Justin Bergman--not speed pool- just a speedy player, just over a minute. Less minus the Joe Mele stall.
I think 1st place is $50,000, now that is funny. :withstupid::withstupid::withstupid::withstupid:

Bobby is who I was speaking of. There are a lot of players that think quick - shoot quick, (and I am really amazed watching GREAT ones). It's almost like they see things (patterns, angles, etc.) IMMEDIATELY, and can when executing it looks so natural (ala Jesse). I think Bobby and Luc Salvas just bump that natural thought process and execution a notch, and MOST pros would not want a piece of those two at the game....

Pangit

Banned
It's a novelty at best. I hope Boyes doesn't get World ranking points for this Crap. It's probabaly the first 40K tourney he's come close to ever winning?

"Real" pool, no chance.

It's "mildly" entertaining, but it will wear thin..quickly.

I understand promoters trying to come up with something fresh that sticks...this ain't it.