Sponsorship Request or Sponsor Ideas

Sponsorship is a two way Contract. What are you offering in return, for instance, what would said "sponsor" have to gain by giving you ________ ?

That's the angle you need to look at this from.
 
Sponsorship is a two way Contract. What are you offering in return, for instance, what would said "sponsor" have to gain by giving you ________ ?

That's the angle you need to look at this from.

Yes, you need to give a list of your credentials and what your willing to do for them, then you "might" get a sponsor. The pool world is a tough one, good luck.
 
Since when does that alone hold any value. :)

Or else people would just go around throwing deals at rooms full of random people.

I never commented on that, but since you bring it up, it must hold value because it is the only thing that sponsorship gets and there are many sponsorship deals in many fields.

Sure, random people can equal exposure. People have actually auctioned off their own skin as a billboard.....a tattoo. Mere exposure.

The goal, I would think, is to get the most exposure you can for your buck. But for sure, without doubt, and with 100% certainty that's all one gets with sponsorship. Quality and amount of exposure varies.

Whether or not it might be worth sponsoring this person is the question.

In my former life as an executive we sponsored a kids hockey team. We said it was to help the kids but the reality was it was to get out company name out there. And it worked. It brought in business and increased our network.

We also sponsored a softball team. Adults. One of our executives was on that team. He used it as a networking tool. And it worked. It brought in business.

This kid is marketing himself already. There are already company names and logos on his videos. He has some exposure here and on Youtube. He is planning to compete. Certainly how well he does will have something to do with how much exposure his sponsor(s) might get. So there are unknowns, obviously.

But if he catches somebody's eye and ends up on a news segment, or on a talk show or something..... and you know that happens with kids......it makes for good human interest stories....one sure might want their logo on his hat, his shirt, his cue case and maybe even for him to mention who made his cue if that is his sponsor.

Maybe he'll pull something off and one of his Youtube videos will go viral.....now that's exposure.

One just does not know where it will go, not unlikely it goes nowhere. But the kid is trying and I admire that. Too many don't try.....at anything.

If you look back at those old videos of Earle, he's using a Meucci. Look what happened to them. He was essentially a kid as well. Youngest champion and all that. Heck people still talk about it. Here in this very forum people that saw the video were asking what kind of cue he was using just a few days ago.

If I had the cash, right now, his masse cue would be in the making. A custom. For sure I would do it. And I know exactly what cue maker I would pick. And I would get a hat made with the cue makers logo on it for the kid to wear. I bet he would be real proud to wear it too. But I don't have the cash. Why would I do it? Because the kid had the guts to ask and he is trying. And maybe a little bit to spite those who are jumping on him about it. :wink:

Local businesses sponsor kids in sports all the time, all over the country. What's wrong with pool? Would you prefer he gambled for it? I bet the kid could hustle a few bucks. Seems to know which end of the stick is which. But he wants to compete.

I bet if I looked around here I could find a kids team that never won a game that has a sponsor. Probably wouldn't be hard to find either.

And people around here wonder why this sport is declining.
 
Well unfortunately you've just contradicted yourself but it was well thought out response.

Its obvious that sponsorship can very easily exist independent of quantifiable exposure. In fact many sponsorship relationships exist with no intention of "exposure " or intended return of investment in anyway.

In all cases however, there's has to be "reason" and/or motivation as the catalist. Now it can be provided by either party of course. The motivation can be of financial gain, which may or may not be in the form or 'exposure', in fact its quite common that the sponsor infact does NOT want to be known. It could simply be a return on your investment in the case of a split of the winning (backer/agency) , gain by association, or simply personal gain not at all related to either
(purely charitable).

Either way, if you are the party seeking sponsorship, than you must manufacture a need. That is what you must market when setting forth an open request whether it be financial, charitable or otherwise.

If you stand on a corner with your hat on the ground and create no motivation to give, your mearly a person who has apparently just dropped your hat. ;)
 
Last edited:
Well unfortunately you've just contradicted yourself but it was well thought out response.

Its obvious that sponsorship can very easily exist independent of quantifiable exposure. In fact many sponsorship relationships exist with no intention of "exposure " or intended return of investment in anyway.


It was asked what would one get. Obviously it can be nothing. I explained what you get when you do get something....which is exposure. There is no contradiction in my response.

How many people or teams have you sponsored?

I gave only two examples but I have sponsored others both personally and through different business ventures I have been involved in.

you must manufacture a need
The need exists, that is already established.
 
Right now the kid already has equipment sponsorship, which is the primary type of 'sponsorship' that those poolplayers that have any usually get. I would go back to those sponsors first, with a request to "up the ante", and sponsor the kid to play in the SBE trick shot tournament. It's only a few hundred dollars, and they would be most likely to step up, since they are already involved.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com
 
It was asked what would one get. Obviously it can be nothing. I explained what you get when you do get something....which is exposure. There is no contradiction in my response.

How many people or teams have you sponsored?

I gave only two examples but I have sponsored others both personally and through different business ventures I have been involved in.

The need exists, that is already established.

Obviously 'he' has a need, thats quite a different point than creating a need or motivation in a sponsor to fullfill that need. ;) Again, you've offered sponsorships, so you say, did you just pull over the side of the road and throw money at someone or did something make you feel motivated to do so? FYI, theres a difference betweeon helping out a local softball team and creating a business relationship or partnership with a stranger on the 'net. That 'should' be obvious but perhaps not.

Anyway...its clear your choosing to be obtuse, no biggie.

My companies and myself personally have sponsored dozens of poeple/teams and activities over the last 30-40 years including a national level race team and a local scholarship program that going into its 12 year. Currently the company I work for is part sponsor for the Orlando Magic, for which I particapate in as well. Not that any of that is in way relevent but you wanted to know.

So that being said, I'm not really interested in playing semantical games with ya. I think my original post was quite clear as well as the point I intended to make...at least to most...so I'm going to let it rest. Consider the multiple thread bumps a donation. :)

Have a good one. :)
 
Back
Top