Sports on TV

dquarasr

Registered
Here is a listing in my morning newspaper, in the Sports section, of "TOP TV" available.

First there are the major sports, no surprise there: Australian Football, MLB, WNBA, ACC football special, Golf, Hockey, Horse Racing, LaCrosse, MMA, Soccer, Softball (?), and Tennis.

Then there are those listed under "Various Sports":
- Kickball
- Axe throwing
- Wiffle ball
- Quadball (I had to look that one up)
- Pogopalooza (yes, pogo sticks)
- Cornhole
- Omegaball (I had to look that one up; a variation on soccer)
- Dodgeball
- Slippery stairs (think American Ninja from Japan, featuring, yes, you guessed it, um, slippery stairs)
- Chase tag

Sigh.

Banger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was spinning through the channels on television the other day, and ran across "chase tag". Hard to believe that anyone watches it, or some of the other "various sports".

The softball games I've seen, are the women's, fast pitch, college games. A lot of college fanatics follow any sport in which their school participates.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was spinning through the channels on television the other day, and ran across "chase tag". Hard to believe that anyone watches it, or some of the other "various sports".

The softball games I've seen, are the women's, fast pitch, college games. A lot of college fanatics follow any sport in which their school participates.
Women's college sports are way more interesting now that they let dudes play.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Need more sports like this

Or this classic British sport. I have a feeling this is how random people at the pool hall feel when we start explaining the standard pool rules LOL

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like watching the Brazilian snooker players gamble. It’s great. On YouTube.

Actually I want to go there and gambol!!!

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And axe throwing. Who doesn't toss axes everyday??? ;)
Actually we used to do that in Vegas, my friend was into it. He was pretty good. It’s like darts but bigger.

The thing is watching axes is easy to understand. Pool isn’t - unless you play.

Look at people who are clueless about pool, when they have BIH they ALWAYS set it up dead straight. What they see on a pool table and what we as players see are 2 different things. They can’t understand getting from one shot to the next. A experienced player can see the way out after the break most often(if there’s nothing funny like clusters etc)

That’s why pool on TV will never work.

Snooker works because it has a running score. Anyone can follow that idea.

Best
Fatboy<——-likes watching snooker and throws axes at the table when he’s mad j/k

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually we used to do that in Vegas, my friend was into it. He was pretty good. It’s like darts but bigger.

Look at people who are clueless about pool, when they have BIH they ALWAYS set it up dead straight. What they see on a pool table and what we as players see are 2 different things. They can’t understand getting from one shot to the next. A experienced player can see the way out after the break most often(if there’s nothing funny like clusters etc)

Best
9b on ESPN and Prime did pretty good. 9b is good for tv because its fast and easy to follow. The old CamelTour matches were great and even non hardcore fans could sweat it and not get lost.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
9b on ESPN and Prime did pretty good. 9b is good for tv because its fast and easy to follow. The old CamelTour matches were great and even non hardcore fans could sweat it and not get lost.
With express rules it was dumbed down far enough that it worked. Worked better for the girls as they lasted a decade longer on espn.

But tv is over with anyways. Online is the future and pools doing ok online.

Like I said I like watching the Brazilian snooker players gamble. It’s hardcore action pool on shit equipment. But fun to watch.

Pool is a niche game. At least we can watch pool when ever we want now. Not waiting for espn to show us a edited match when they felt like it…….

Fatboy <——-pro rail bird

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All of those are more entertaining to the masses than pool.

Does this have to do with pool en-the-large or the games televised under the pool banner ?

That is do the masses think people rolling balls around a table trying to drop them in pockets is unworthy of their time ?
OR
That the masses don't like watching human-machines play 9-ball, 10-ball, and 1-pocket ?

JustPlay

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Best
Watching Snooker or Pool played in Europe, the Commentators talk with some excitement in their voice and they don't try to teach anyone listening & watching a lesson on how to play the shot (on every single shot, ugh) or how to play the game, like they do on Accu-Stats. I would just rather watch the players play and hear the sounds of the game being played.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Watching Snooker or Pool played in Europe, the Commentators talk with some excitement in their voice and they don't try to teach anyone listening & watching a lesson on how to play the shot (on every single shot, ugh) or how to play the game, like they do on Accu-Stats. I would just rather watch the players play and hear the sounds of the game being played.
For some reason American commentary has become “lessons” not entertainment. Which is cool for players which make up a very small % of a wide audience.

The by players for players product has a very narrow market. The numbers reflect that.

“He needs to shoot the orange 5 with inside low to miss the blue 2 and get on the left side of the 14” is just to complex for people who can’t hold a cue-98% of the audience.

The flip side is how Americans butcher the Olympics with all the drama. Ben the 100M sprinters grandma died of cancer while he was training for the summer games and he dedicates this race to her and all the breast cancer survivors in the world because he wants to win this race. That’s just as bad.

The Euro’s seem to get commentary/presentation right. Some back story, some drama, informing the audience when a difficult shot is there (not obvious to the untrained eye).

American commentary should re-evaluate what they are doing. The “lessons” are a bit much sometimes. Not a knock on anyone.

The exception is 1P as the only audience it really has are experienced players so when your watching 1P JJ, Josh, Billy talking about the trap and what ball to shoot and how is cool-because the audience understands.

Always be mindful of your audience is the take away here

Fatboy<——that’s all I got😃