Stack leather grip

WesleyW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My english isn't very well. So I'm wondering, what does Stack leather stand for? Is it real of imitation leather, or how does it made? Mostly I see advertises saying "Real leather", but I've never heard of something like "Stack leather". And the second, why aren't they using real leather grip instead of stach leather grip?

cyrex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stacked leather

WesleyW said:
My english isn't very well. So I'm wondering, what does Stack leather stand for? Is it real of imitation leather, or how does it made? Mostly I see advertises saying "Real leather", but I've never heard of something like "Stack leather". And the second, why aren't they using real leather grip instead of stach leather grip?

It is real leather. It just a like a string they 'wind' around the cue. Instead of the more traditional sheet of leather that wrap around the cue. If that helps at all.

WesleyW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cyrex said:
It is real leather. It just a like a string they 'wind' around the cue. Instead of the more traditional sheet of leather that wrap around the cue. If that helps at all.

It sure helps. But there is one more question. Would you consider the following cue as a stack leather wrap? http://www.joba.net/CommercePortal/images/5603.005_1.jpg

It looks more like a sheet of leather, instead of leather winding around the cue. They are selling it, as a stack leather grip.

HardBall

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stacked leather is not necessarily better, it is just a different way to apply the leather. You can create quite a few different looks with stacked leather. Stacked leather can not duplicate the look of real or embossed patterns like alligator or ostrich. Stacked leather is usually more expensive because it requires more time to install and the materials may cost more to begin with.

So, take a look at examples of stacked leather. If you search here you can see some very nice ones.

WesleyW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But how does it feel. Does stack leather feel nicer, or is it the same. Is it only for the looks?

madhaterm3

will work for food
Silver Member
to me it feels like I'm using one of those old tenis grip handled pool cues. but thats just MO

HardBall

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have done them very smooth and shiny. Or they can be very rough and textured. The customer has to decide how the grip should feel.

cyrex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
stacked wrap

I've had Tiger do 3 stack leather wraps for me and they were all buffed out nice and smooth. They also held up very well and looked great. I wouldn't say it was 'better' or worse' than a standard wrap.. just aesthetically different.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WesleyW said:
But how does it feel. Does stack leather feel nicer, or is it the same. Is it only for the looks?

The ones I have seen have felt different to me than single sheet leather. But, they were buffed/polished to feel very smooth, smoother than a normal leather wrap. I'd be leery of buying without seeing/feeling the wrap.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
The ones I have felt were pretty hard, not like soft leather. They feel a bit different than regular leather wraps and you can usually feel the "lines" slightly. I have heard, but not seen, that the strands curl at the edges over time, especially if you have sweaty hands or play in humid conditions.

Impact Blue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been reading a lot of these stacked leather threads, but am having a hard time grasping what the feel is like. Is it lacquered? or is that just an option...?

I ask because I can't use traditional linen wraps. My hands don't perspire, and I use a really loose stroke. Mine is a high-gloss finish wrapless, so, if there is any bite or grip to these things, I'm a convert for sure!!

Ratcues and Tiger's look ridiculously sick.

I hope someone has a definitive answer for me. What's the going rate for that kind of job?

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
I had one done by Muellers. It's polished and very smooth... much like playing with a wrapless cues, which is what I wanted and asked for. I lke it very much.

catscradle

<< 2 all-time greats
Silver Member
WesleyW said:

I've had two of them (should have know better than to get the 2nd) and basically I don't like them. I had them both replaced. I find regular leather much more comfortable, I don't think you can know if you like it or not until you try it. Just like you didn't know if you liked wrapless, linen, or regular leather until you tried them.
"Different strokes for different folks" as they say.

Impact Blue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JimS said:
I had one done by Muellers. It's polished and very smooth... much like playing with a wrapless cues, which is what I wanted and asked for. I lke it very much.

Does it absorb any moisture? or is the finish just lacquered over the leather?

TheNewSharkster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My new jacoby has a stacked leather wrap. I personally like it. To me it is a good middle ground between Irish Linen and wrapless. Seems like you get the best of both worlds. You get the textured feeling of linen and the grip of a wrapless.