Stances for 6 feet and taller people.

Jimbojim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey

Im about 6'3" and I realize that I don't use the same stance on every occasion I play. Im trying to go back to the basics and improve my fundamentals and was wondering how some of you tall players approach the stance.

Do you always try to keep the back leg straight or do you bend it ? I use both and they can both feel comfortable one day and not the next one and I haven't been able to film myself and figure out which one was making me more consistent.

Is it the unwritten forbidden rule to have both legs bent ?

Last edited:

"Q" Protectors

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm 6'5 and I always have a straight back leg (if possible)
I feel with 2 bent legs your core foundation becomes a large variable. IMO.

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
Look at Earl Strickland or Johnny Archer, they are pretty tall and would be a decent starting point to make a stance that suits yourself.

MitchDAZB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm 6'2" and was taught to bend both legs. No back problems, and no problems with consistency.

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
I have been mixing both for years but I have hit a plateau.

In that case, do what feels solid and is best for you. Experiment over and over with different variations until you find something that works. I think as long as you are in line and your upper body doesn't move, your legs could be in a lotus position and you will still make the shot.

I would go as far as saying you don't need a standard stance. A "standard" stance is blocked by the table for many, if not most, shots anyways.

Last edited:

Cujopro

Registered
Hey Jimbo,

First off I think should spend some time watching some of the pros that are over 6', and experiment with their approach

Here's a short list:

Johnny Archer
Gabe Owen
Shawn Putman
Jeremy Jones
Dennis hatch

Secondly, I agree with Mitch and Double D. Bending both knees relieves back pressure, and will allow you to play longer. The Straight back leg concept (to me) is more old school when everyone played 14.1. Was more of a 1/2 table game. You'll notice that the older players play more straight leg and the younger guys (20's/30's) who grew up in the 90's playing 8-ball/9-ball bend both knees.

Hope this helps

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I am probably not accomplished enough to offer advice but I am 6'1" and I have noticed on some of my shots my stance is wider than the recommended shoulder width just because its what I find comfortable. It seems to me its more important to be stable and comfortable than to be textbook, people are just not built the same enough for a "proper stance"

randallt6

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm 6"1 and I keep my legs pretty close to straight, bending just a little bit. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375117821.886922.jpg

MoneyBox

I throw putters.
Silver Member
I am 6'5". I prefer to have both knees bent slightly and also have a wider base. The wider base and slight knee bend helps to get lower on the shot without much strain on the back/hips. This stance also makes it easier to do the stand-up power break.

I equate it to other sports requiring balance...a wider base and bent knees gives you more balance. You just have to set up the same way consistently.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hey

Im about 6'3" and I realize that I don't use the same stance on every occasion I play. Im trying to go back to the basics and improve my fundamentals and was wondering how some of you tall players approach the stance.

Do you always try to keep the back leg straight or do you bend it ? I use both and they can both feel comfortable one day and not the next one and I haven't been able to film myself and figure out which one was making me more consistent.
I'm 6'3" also. I bend both legs quite a bit to allow me to get a low stance (chin close to cue) without neck, back, or hamstring discomfort. The bent knees certainly have no effect on my aiming or stroke consistency.

For general stance advice (and a demonstration of my stance), see the following video: NV D.7 - Pool Fundamentals - The Stance - from Vol-I of the Billiard University instructional DVD series.

No.

Regards,
Dave

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
BTW, if you want to stick to a more traditional "pool stance", try mimicking Jon Kucharo...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYuRFTbZZWE

Note where his right foot, right shoulder, right elbow, & left hand are...outside the right hip & all in alignment. His left shoulder rotated around nicely too, which is a hallmark of the snooker stance (creates tension in the spine to lock you in place). Basically, he has a hybrid of the two...foot & hip position of a pool player & upper body of a snooker player.

nahog99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not super tall, 6'1, but in my opinion you should definitely bend both of your knees slightly. A wide stance with slightly bent knees takes a LOT of strain off of your back and hips. A wide stance with a straight back leg, while taking strain off of your back, is rather straining on your hips and will catch up with you. As a general rule of thumb that I go by: Don't ever stand too sideways, meaning keep your torso squared up with the table, keep both legs slightly bent, use your LEGS to get down on the shot, never your back.

SignManiac

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Me being 7' 4" tall I just kneel a lot :)

Actually at 6' 3-7/8" I stand up fairly tall over my stick. More to do with my vision than anything else.

allanpsand

Author & PBIA Instructor
Silver Member
I'm six feet six inches.

When I coach taller players, I spread their feet out into a wider stance. This lowers the waist and makes it easier to place the head onto the stick. It also prevents back problems.

Also shift the body weight onto the back foot (about 55-60%). This also forces a straight through stroke and is impossible to jump up.

Pfnatic

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey

Widen your stance. If you have a square stance, then place your feet more than shoulder width apart until you feel stable. If you have a pool stance with one foot forward, then spread the feet further apart (maybe front foot even more forward) until you can comfortably get down on the shot.

Comfort and stability is the key here as you should not move when you shoot. Most snooker players have their back leg straight (as snooker table is much taller than an average pool table and it is comfortable playing like that with a square stance).

Some tall players like Ricky Walden have both legs bent. Earl Strickland has both legs bent. So there are exceptions. As long as you have feet aligned along the line of the shot, you can adjust till you find that sweet spot :)

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
I agree with DOUBLE D & allensand.

I'm only 5'9" 'tall' & the only time that I have a straight leg is when I am reach for a shot. Flexed knees are athletic. It also allows for the 'bracing' of the hit.

That being said, I employ more of a snooker angled stance but with the right/back leg flexed & not straight.

Good luck with finding what works & is comfortable for you. I hope something here helps.

Regards & Best Wishes,
Rick