Standard Table Conditions Discussion

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
I wouldn't be dismissive of the Jethro Bodine School of Advanced Thinking,

He was an amazing person. Grew up in poverty in the Ozarks, moved to California, and had a wide range of careers - everything from brain surgeon to movie producer and was even a secret agent for a time.

Can I put you down for an order of Maxwell cloth?
There should be some new products due out soon.

If you'd like we can discuss pockets on a Maxwell cloth and balls paths with a discrete approximation traversing the discontinuity smoothly and along poles.
The Maxwell cloth is selling out fast and the pop up shop is closing soon.

gerryf

Can I put you down for an order of Maxwell cloth?
There should be some new products due out soon.

If you'd like we can discuss pockets on a Maxwell cloth and balls paths with a discrete approximation traversing the discontinuity smoothly and along poles.
The Maxwell cloth is selling out fast and the pop up shop is closing soon.
Ha! Ha! You haven't provided any info on your Maxwell Cloth other than the name.

What's the price? What are the specifications? Where is it made, and by whom? How does it compare to other brands?

Is it based on bed sheets by Abbot and Costello, or is it based on the Simonis 860?

Didn't you say earlier that it was imaginary?

Last edited:

justnum

Silver Member
Ha! Ha! You haven't provided any info on your Maxwell Cloth other than the name.

What's the price? What are the specifications? Where is it made, and by whom? How does it compare to other brands?

Is it based on bed sheets by Abbot and Costello, or is it based on the Simonis 860?

Didn't you say earlier that it was imaginary?

The settings for the EM field are open configuration. In a sense the imaginary part depends on how powerful the EM flux lines are.

I assume you have physics 101 knowledge to create a uniform field such that the EM field lines are nearly vertical or nearly horizontal.

Maxwell cloth is programmable and I said that from the start of the thread. I erroneously called it slow cloth 2.0. Programmable cloth might be a better name. Maxwell equations are the system of rules, similar to how conservation of energy and Newtons laws govern current table playing conditions. If this does not make sense to you please read more books.

Maxwell equations solvers are not cheaper than the best consumer computer and not more expensive than the fastest supercomputer. Maxwell is priced by the amount of precision and accuracy you want in the programming. There are cheap versions and pro versions. Calculating costs depends on how fast and how many digits in pi it can calculate.

Gerryf if you are a serious customer you have to tell me what CPU and GPU you plan to use the Maxwell cloth with. I have other interested parties to entertain as well.

E and M is multi dimensional, its not like bed sheets. Bed sheets are threaded and have a count. Maxwell cloth is programmable meaning the count happens in real time based on the power of its calculating system.

In short if you cant find anyone else that is because I am bringing it to market early. The problem is it depends on top secret tech. The cloth depends on the calculation and digit precision, that is all I can say without risking my security clearance.

justnum

Silver Member
You know gosh darn well that Guy is elderly with a terminal diagnosis. You’re normally harmless, but that response was truly reprehensible.

Get back under your bridge!

Too emotional an argument.
Based on the decision are there more players today than before.

Do they have a tier of equipment to progress along?

The person who decides the cut offs when planning new equipment is no small decision. If you wanted a brown nosing response, all hail the pool gods.

All decisions and opportunities lead to a more prosperous kingdom.
All hail the book makers they are faultless.
All hail the mighty kingdom of billiards.

I am only a mere mortal. I beg forgiveness.
All hail the one and true King. My savior the anonymous ruler.

This language has been out of date for some time and there is a reason for it.

pw98

Registered
Magnetizing solves the tight rack problem without using a template rack. Thanks for agreeing.

If each ball is magnetically sealed to each other, then that is a stable and consistent solution. Would be hermetically sealed or is it more accurate to say electromagnetically frozen?

As for the frictional force increasing that can be controlled by applying an electric field. Ideally the EF and MF should have initial conditions to allow for potentially infinitely long shots. Solutions for those conditions are worth debating.
Bad news: Peoples digital/smart watches and phones are going to get fried by using this system. Its also going to be an electrical shock hazard to get the forces you want.

How about just have slower felt and a heated bed to ensure its dry and slides/rolls okay in less than ideal environments? Also maybe a cheaper grade of cloth could be used to make owners want to put the money into adding heating to existing tables?

If the idea is to just get a good rack without a template here is another simpler and realistic idea: You laser map out the depths of the footspot racking area and keep track of previous racks and which ones were tight and which ones were not. Then using this previous rack data, and depth data you project' hints' on the table you try to suggest to the racker the ball configuration (since certain ball orders might give a tighter rack due to difference in ball wear) and where to place the head ball and what (minor) tilt to give the rack to get a truely tight rack without having to re-rack for 5 minutes straight while destroying your back to get a tight rack.

This method is: 1. relatively cheap. 2. safer. 3. actually feasable. 4. Might actually work. 5. Can be used with existing cloth. Which is unlike your impractical pie in the sky Maxwell method.

Last edited:

justnum

Silver Member
Bad news: Peoples digital/smart watches and phones are going to get fried by using this system. Its also going to be an electrical shock hazard to get the forces you want.

How about just have slower felt and a heated bed to ensure its dry and slides/rolls okay in less than ideal environments? Also maybe a cheaper grade of cloth could be used to make owners want to put the money into adding heating to existing tables?

Who said anything about it being life sized built to competition specs?

For an initial test scaling it down can make the study more interesting than this talk.

You are hijacking this thread with your promotion of thermodynamic systems, in that case it does not have the same level of control as the EM system.

Programmable cloth on a small scale would be great for young scientists. The pro version would have to be developed under lock and key.

pw98

Registered
Who said anything about it being life sized built to competition specs?

For an initial test scaling it down can make the study more interesting than this talk.

You are hijacking this thread with your promotion of thermodynamic systems, in that case it does not have the same level of control as the EM system.

Programmable cloth on a small scale would be great for young scientists. The pro version would have to be developed under lock and key.
Re-read my reply i edited and added another, new and proposed system.

pw98

Registered
Actually after thinking about this for a bit I think this idea does have some merit just not in the current form. There would be a camera hung over the table with AI software attached. If it detects someone is tapping a ball in the rack area it could either: 1. shock them. 2. cause an EMP that destroys their electronic devices. 3. spray a liquid on them.

This would solve most racking problems.

justnum

Silver Member
Wear special suits, problem solved.
The fast clothers already stated their resistance to going back to "slower felt." A heated bed is a nice idea. Based on adoption of carom tables unlikely to happen. Getting the cost of programmable cloth down is a current problem I have ideas on.

If the idea is to just get a good rack without a template here is another simpler and realistic idea: You laser map out the depths of the footspot racking area and keep track of previous racks and which ones were tight and which ones were not. Then using this previous rack data, and depth data you project' hints' on the table you try to suggest to the racker the ball configuration (since certain ball orders might give a tighter rack due to difference in ball wear) and where to place the head ball and what (minor) tilt to give the rack to get a truely tight rack without having to re-rack for 5 minutes straight while destroying your back to get a tight rack.

Its a complicated solution but worth talking about. My alternative was to use a magnetic lock that freezes the balls only when desired like on a break. A small device powerful enough to lock the rack of mildly magnetic balls and then turned off after the break to allow regular play.

This method is: 1. relatively cheap. 2. safer. 3. actually feasable. 4. Might actually work. 5. Can be used with existing cloth. Which is unlike your impractical pie in the sky Maxwell method.

Maxwell method serves as a direction for innovation. Your proposals have the most merit of all posters so far.

If Predator is hiring research designers on a consulting basis I am interested.

Last edited:

pw98

Registered
Wear special suits, problem solved.

The fast clothers already stated their resistance to going back to "slower felt." A heated bed is a nice idea. Based on adoption of carom tables unlikely to happen. Getting the cost of programmable cloth down is a current problem I have ideas on.

Its a complicated solution but worth talking about. My alternative was to use a magnetic lock that freezes the balls only when desired like on a break. A small device powerful enough to lock the rack of mildly magnetic balls and then turned off after the break to allow regular play.

Maxwell method serves as a direction for innovation. Your proposals have the most merit of all posters so far.

If Predator is hiring research designers on a consulting basis I am interested.

The biggest problem I see with the magnetic lock method is it requires a new ball to be developed. It also requires modification to the tables. Depth mapping requires neither of these. Another problem I see which was already mentioned is the affect it would have on electronic devices and also not previously mentioned people being attracted/repelled to the table when they are wearing ferrous jewelry. There is also the current scientific question of the long term affects of the health of people exposed over and over and over again to magnetic fields

justnum

Silver Member
The biggest problem I see with the magnetic lock method is it requires a new ball to be developed. It also requires modification to the tables. Depth mapping requires neither of these. Another problem I see which was already mentioned is the affect it would have on electronic devices and also not previously mentioned people being attracted/repelled to the table when they are wearing ferrous jewelry. There is also the current scientific question of the long term affects of the health of people exposed over and over and over again to magnetic fields

Planet earth is a magnetic field, get over it.
A more innovative ball set is long past due, how many different ways can they paint it and call it new?

If I were to sell this patent to Predator it would be new balls and a special device that has to be installed properly under any table. Yes it will require power but not as much as a heated table. You can even use the power line to provide other sensor data from the table to be sold in the exclusive predator table analytic app.

For an extra fee you can own the Predator sentinel sensor to access all table data. If you opt out you can only receive basic analytics.

pw98

Registered
Another problem with the maxwell method is the FCC is not going to be happy that you are effectively spraying the RF spectrum with strong and random interference since the currents are going to have to be pretty high to affect the movement of a ball and they are going to have to be very dynamic which will cause them to broadcast.

pw98

Registered
The magnetic field of planet earth is
Planet earth is a magnetic field, get over it.
A more innovative ball set is long past due, how many different ways can they paint it and call it new?

If I were to sell this patent to Predator it would be new balls and a special device that has to be installed properly under any table. Yes it will require power but not as much as a heated table. You can even use the power line to provide other sensor data from the table to be sold in the exclusive predator table analytic app.

For an extra fee you can own the Predator sentinel sensor to access all table data. If you opt out you can only receive basic analytics.
The magnetic field of planet earth is nowhere near strong enough to hold a ball down or else the balls could just be modified and no table mods needed. I personally would not not want to exposed to a relatively strong magnet field over and over again just to get a good rack.

justnum

Silver Member
The magnetic field of planet earth is

The magnetic field of planet earth is nowhere near strong enough to hold a ball down or else the balls could just be modified and no table mods needed. I personally would not not want to exposed to a relatively strong magnet field over and over again just to get a good rack.

Ok magnetic balls no electricity. The balls will have to be arranged specifically by game.

A 9ball mag ball set only locks for a 9 ball rack.

A 10 ball mag ball set only locks for a 10 ball rack.

Coming up with a way to keep the balls true and have the mild magnetic configuration is cheaper and addresses any EM concerns you have.

Getting the balls to avoid locking during play will take some time.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Better cloth is modern cloth which is more consistent. Going backwards just for the sake of going backwards is not a logical choice.

If you think fuzzy, slow, inconsistent cloth will help your game, buy some and practice on it.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
justn put the tide pods back in your moms laundry room

Stop It Michael Jordan GIF