Statement from The Legends of Pocket Billiards

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's often said the stronger player has a distinct advantage on tight pockets. Be that as it may, I think stronger players have distinct advantages on looser pockets as well. They have instantly more options/headroom while the weaker player will still be mired in pocketing.

you're not wrong. but i would think it matters more between 500/600/700 fargo than between 700/800 fargo players.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you're not wrong. but i would think it matters more between 500/600/700 fargo than between 700/800 fargo players.
You would have far more insight on that than I would although, that is the premise. When it's skill, more is more. The 8s are running out of headroom so yeah there's way more game and play going on between themselves and anyone knocking.
From my point of view though, there is no mandate or natural barrier says, thats it for improvement. Shaw just pulled a stunner on sheer consistency. Sky's the limit.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
You would have far more insight on that than I would although, that is the premise. When it's skill, more is more. The 8s are running out of headroom so yeah there's way more game and play going on between themselves and anyone knocking.
From my point of view though, there is no mandate or natural barrier says, thats it for improvement. Shaw just pulled a stunner on sheer consistency. Sky's the limit.
After being stuck in the 200+ for ao long, he finally figured out the patterns for running racks repeatedly, by changing his approach to running them. That's when the light went on in his head and he started running more and more balls

Shuddy

Diamond Dave’s babysitter
Silver Member
Sounds like, (and NOT Jason's fault) this deal will be embroiled in just as much transparency the '626' run.
How so? I watched the 714 live. That’s already more transparent than the 626 from this fan’s perspective. What has Jason’s payment got to do with transparency as far as setting a world record? If they hadn’t revealed the presence of an incentive, everyone would be wondering why these pros are turning up to run balls. They reveal the presence of a privately funded incentive and every Tom, Dick, and Harry think they have the right to know how much that incentive was. Sorry, but we don’t have any right to know that information, and it doesn’t affect the transparency of Jayson’s 714 one iota.

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
If all pockets are 4 1/2" and 5", don't both players have the exact same advantages and disadvantages??? Why should pockets be made bigger for weaker players, but tighter for better players? How about if the weaker players don't feel they have a fair chance to win against the better players, then they DON'T play against the better players!!
Affirmative action for pool....Everybody gets a trophy.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
How so? I watched the 714 live. That’s already more transparent than the 626 from this fan’s perspective. What has Jason’s payment got to do with transparency as far as setting a world record? If they hadn’t revealed the presence of an incentive, everyone would be wondering why these pros are turning up to run balls. They reveal the presence of a privately funded incentive and every Tom, Dick, and Harry think they have the right to know how much that incentive was. Sorry, but we don’t have any right to know that information, and it doesn’t affect the transparency of Jayson’s 714 one iota.
THIS!

The only thing we, as fans and fellow pool players have a right to is knowing if the record is legitimate or not. Hell, technically we don't have a right to see it either (ala 626) but seeing it really helps pessimistic people believe it... and seeing this one so far seems to be a privilege we will all have eventually.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now that I'm thinking about it, maybe I should build out a 10' Brunswick with those pocket specs, then John Schmidt can not only set the new 14.1 high run record, he can bust all the high run records ever set on a 10' as well, a two for one event, hmmmm😉

And then Jayson Shaw, or any number of other players, will come in and beat that record on a similar table. Then, you'll be right back on here saying it was the lighting and then it was the cloth, and then it was...well, you get the idea.

Some players are just better than others, get over it ;)

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes.

Internet culture.

Just because it is possible to share everything now some insist on asking for it or sharing it. There are positives and negatives to this freedom we now have. It certainly makes it easy to see who the ones with no tact, class or respect for others and themselves are.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Just because it is possible to share everything now some insist on asking for it or sharing it. There are positives and negatives to this freedom we now have. It certainly makes it easy to see who the ones with no tact, class or respect for others and themselves are.
Just jumping in here with my own take on why I think it's a shame that I'll most likely have to end up paying to view Jayson's run.

I don't 'need' to see Jayson's 714. I don't believe it 'didn't happen' because the once live stream is being withheld for monetary gain.

I'm just embroiled within the ongoing debate of what's wrong with pool, and the notion that it should be treated the same as any other 'sport'. The knee jerk reaction to always "get paid" in these circumstances just baffles me. I posted it somewhere else but I didn't need to pay any level of fee to view Usain Bolt's world record 100m dash. Why is it that for some reason those that hold the video feel they have to put some cash in their pockets for the world record run of 14.1...? John did it, and now the group hosting Jayson's record are doing it. Well at least it's been reading as though that's the intent.

Should the powers that be 'get paid'...?..., sure why not. I have no actual dog in that fight. Do I want to see it for free...?..., I think billions of people should. That desire has no bearing on the record. Just the exposure of that feat to the world.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
And then Jayson Shaw, or any number of other players, will come in and beat that record on a similar table. Then, you'll be right back on here saying it was the lighting and then it was the cloth, and then it was...well, you get the idea.

What makes you think anyone will be allowed to play on the same table after John set a new record again?

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just jumping in here with my own take on why I think it's a shame that I'll most likely have to end up paying to view Jayson's run.

I don't 'need' to see Jayson's 714. I don't believe it 'didn't happen' because the once live stream is being withheld for monetary gain.

I'm just embroiled within the ongoing debate of what's wrong with pool, and the notion that it should be treated the same as any other 'sport'. The knee jerk reaction to always "get paid" in these circumstances just baffles me. I posted it somewhere else but I didn't need to pay any level of fee to view Usain Bolt's world record 100m dash. Why is it that for some reason those that hold the video feel they have to put some cash in their pockets for the world record run of 14.1...? John did it, and now the group hosting Jayson's record are doing it. Well at least it's been reading as though that's the intent.

Should the powers that be 'get paid'...?..., sure why not. I have no actual dog in that fight. Do I want to see it for free...?..., I think billions of people should. That desire has no bearing on the record. Just the exposure of that feat to the world.
I get it. I saw most of it live..I would and will re-watch it again unless the sale copy price is a "circus" number.

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member

I think the big difference is Bolt had $20M+ sponsorship deals and NBC (or whoever) paid millions to broadcast his event on the premise they would generate even more in advertising revenue. Shaw and Bobby have none of those things.

I'm hopeful the 714 doesnt turn into a clown show and Bobby finds a good way monetize the video so that lots of people can easily see it. I would have loved to see Schmidt's road show but it didn't come to my town.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Then not one person should have a negative thing to say when I set up a 9ft with 6" corner pockets and 6 1/2" side pockets, install a cloth on the table that helps provide the balls the ability to slide across the playing surface before they start rolling, and John runs past 714 with little effort, balls IN the pockets, right?😉
I wouldn't have anything negative to say 'ol buddy, but a lot of folks on here would.
Just set it up and let some folks have a go at it.
I don't think John could run 714 on it in 5 days, some here will and lots will say nay,
simply because it's your deal. (Lots of folks here like to argue with you).
PS - I ain't gonna call you a piece of shit no more, that ain't nice!

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

We’ve got a 10 foot table with 4 1/4 inch pockets, 143° angles in our room – brutally tough table. I’ve thought about offering a challenge for any player to put up $10k and have a week, 7 days, 12 hours a day maximum, to try to run 20 consecutive 14.1 racks – 280 balls, in which case I would pay out $10k, so it would be even odds.

To me, on this table, that would be harder to accomplish than the 714 run by Jason on that table.

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
I didn't! Maybe, being a 3C player, I'll set up a 3C table and try to break the high-run record, (in practice) on a 5'x10' table of 32 consecutive points! If the MONEY is RIGHT!

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the big difference is Bolt had $20M+ sponsorship deals and NBC (or whoever) paid millions to broadcast his event on the premise they would generate even more in advertising revenue. Shaw and Bobby have none of those things.

I'm hopeful the 714 doesnt turn into a clown show and Bobby finds a good way monetize the video so that lots of people can easily see it. I would have loved to see Schmidt's road show but it didn't come to my town.

I am pretty sure they sell copies of some of the Olympic Stuff after the events are over too- highlight videos..things like that. The Super Bowl too: