Statement from The Legends of Pocket Billiards

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope this is true. They haven’t announced clear plans yet. In theory, it shouldn’t be done because they had been referring to 768 as the record. So 714 is a bit shy of that.

kid is crazy competitive in everything from cornhole to one hole. given a chance he would jump all over it if there's still a financial incentive offered. not saying he will beat 714 but he's the most likely candidate to do it

(apparently he got beat at cornhole in roy's garden and didn't stop practicing it until he could win in that game too)

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
kid is crazy competitive in everything from cornhole to one hole. given a chance he would jump all over it if there's still a financial incentive offered. not saying he will beat 714 but he's the most likely candidate to do it

(apparently he got beat at cornhole in roy's garden and didn't stop practicing it until he could win in that game too)
Filler was my pick to set the record. He shoots as straight as Jayson and he plays straight pool even when he doesn’t have to lol. I figure he will be putting up big numbers at the same pace as Jayson or better. I think he said something like he runs 200 a day on 4.25” pockets.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After being stuck in the 200+ for ao long, he finally figured out the patterns for running racks repeatedly, by changing his approach to running them. That's when the light went on in his head and he started running more and more balls
I watched an earlier rack on another run where he had maybe 5 balls in the spot area that only needed one or two balls cleared but he ignored that and went another way. I forget what he did but he got out of that rack anyway. I'd like to see the winning run - especially the epiphany and transition. Genius in action.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But it’s harder to make the ball go in those holes depending on the course.

I think the cup size is more akin to the pool balls being the same size.
Your kidding right? Most golf scores are made or not made by the pros based upon putting scores. Increasing or decreasing the size of the golf hole significantly would cause havoc with scores- both up or down based on the change. Golf courses with smaller golf holes will play to higher scores and vice versa. Records for the best scores on any course will be shattered on the courses with large golf holes.

Every course has a level of difficulty based upon design without the cup size factored in since the cup size is standard. Once you change the cup size you change the level of difficulty up or down on any course.

Last edited:

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We’ve got a 10 foot table with 4 1/4 inch pockets, 143° angles in our room – brutally tough table. I’ve thought about offering a challenge for any player to put up $10k and have a week, 7 days, 12 hours a day maximum, to try to run 20 consecutive 14.1 racks – 280 balls, in which case I would pay out $10k, so it would be even odds.

To me, on this table, that would be harder to accomplish than the 714 run by Jason on that table.
You would win that bet. Unless one of these guys figures out a way to play that super close position like Mosconi. Missing a break shot will end a lot of runs BC you either need to get steep angles to hit the break shot more softly and still break up the rack, or hit the more shallow break shots much harder to open the rack- either way the miss % on your table goes up over 20 racks.

Last edited:

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
Your kidding right? Most golf scores are made or not made by the pros based upon putting scores. Increasing or decreasing the size of the golf hole significantly would cause havoc with scores- both up or down based on the change. Golf courses with smaller golf holes will play to higher scores and vice versa. Records for the best scores on any course will be shattered on the courses with large golf holes.

Every course has a level of difficulty based upon design without the cup size factored in since the cup size is standard. Once you change the cup size you change the level of difficulty up or down on any course.
Mike, respectfully, I’m not sure what happened here. But I have no idea what you’re saying and how you got there from what I wrote, which did not even mention increasing or decreasing the cup size, but talked about the difficulty of different courses. And no, I wasn’t kidding.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know that has always been the belief (that tighter pockets favor the better player). Personally, that has not been my experience. I just think better players prefer tighter pockets.
Well, then, I'll continue to the next logical sentence from your statement, better players prefer tighter pockets because, to them, it makes the game more pure, less slop, more skill, which, then ,logically is just saying that the tighter pocket is one factor that makes the better player a favorite. Unless someone has a different definition of what makes a player "better" than another player.

mmwtdh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
NO OTHER SPORT ON THE PLANET HAS MOVEABLE GOAL POSTS, like American supported pool has. Name ONE single sport that the goal line keeps changing in??? Golf has the same size hole, don't matter what course you're play, basket ball has the same hoop, baseballs are ALL the same size, footballs are all the same size used in the sport. Why does AMERICAN pool refuse to accept standards??? Tell me!!!
Home run distance is different in every park, just saying.....

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
my guess is that the better players can still make most shots in tight pockets, where as the average guy cant as his shot dispersion is too wide to be accurate for the small pockets.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike, respectfully, I’m not sure what happened here. But I have no idea what you’re saying and how you got there from what I wrote, which did not even mention increasing or decreasing the cup size, but talked about the difficulty of different courses. And no, I wasn’t kidding.
Sorry if I mis understood.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Well, then, I'll continue to the next logical sentence from your statement, better players prefer tighter pockets because, to them, it makes the game more pure, less slop, more skill, which, then ,logically is just saying that the tighter pocket is one factor that makes the better player a favorite. Unless someone has a different definition of what makes a player "better" than another player.
All tighter pockets do is give the lessor skilled player a faults sence of security by convincing that player he/she has a better chance of being able to at least prevent their loss, or maybe even a chance to win. What they fail to realize, even with tighter pockets, if they're the lessor skilled player, they're still going to lose. Its not like the better player is going to say, omg, I can't play on a table with tighter pockers.

And the better players that play on the same level as their opponent, feel that maybe they play a better game than their opponents do, with tighter pockets, and are relying on that to give them a slight edge over their opponents.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Home run distance is different in every park, just saying.....
Here's a few more thoughts...

Aside from fans’ moods, baseballs themselves get a summer boost, too; it turns out they generally travel farther in warmer weather. A ball’s trajectory is affected by other atmospheric conditions, too, including humidity, altitude, barometric pressure, and wind speed!!
Just saying....

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Here's a few more thoughts...

Aside from fans’ moods, baseballs themselves get a summer boost, too; it turns out they generally travel farther in warmer weather. A ball’s trajectory is affected by other atmospheric conditions, too, including humidity, altitude, barometric pressure, and wind speed!!
Just saying....
Wait, what temperature was the room Jayson ran the 714 in??? Was that regulation??? Must stay between 67 and 69 degrees at all times. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We’ve got a 10 foot table with 4 1/4 inch pockets, 143° angles in our room – brutally tough table. I’ve thought about offering a challenge for any player to put up $10k and have a week, 7 days, 12 hours a day maximum, to try to run 20 consecutive 14.1 racks – 280 balls, in which case I would pay out $10k, so it would be even odds.

To me, on this table, that would be harder to accomplish than the 714 run by Jason on that table.
Why so tough? Can't be much fun.