Statement from The Legends of Pocket Billiards

realkingcobra

Silver Member
The simplest answer about the pocket size on this high run GC3 can only be answered truthfully and accurately by measuring the pockets in the same way any other pockets are measured, either by placing 2 balls in the pocket opening, splitting the balls on the tanget line between the points of the pocket opening, balls froze against the facings exposing the gap between the balls, then measuring that gap and adding it to the 4 1/2" width of the balls, OR by placing the ends of the legs of an adjustable protractor with both legs touching right at both points of the pocket opening, then placing the protractor on a scale/ruler and measuring the distance between the two legs of the protractor, the latter is how I measure pockets, because I then take the protractor and compare the measurement of the first pocket, to the 3 remaining corner pockets in order to insure uniformity. Once the mouth of the pocket has been established, I then use an angle finder gage to copy the miter angle into the throat of the pocket based on the straight line reading from the cushions, then angled back into the pocket. The reason I use an angle finder gage is because its much bigger than most adjustable toy protractors i see table mechanics using all the time. So, once the angle finder gage has been used to mimic the miter angle, then use your adjustable protractor to check the miter angle of the angle gage and you'll have an accurate measurement.

Tools needed...
31Vn7X+IJEL._AC_SY580_.jpg
61WmuEo6NLL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
]625741[/ATTACH]
05379177.jpg
00245990.jpg

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know why these people setting records are hesitant to provide the "actual" measurements, specifications, and dimensions of the tables that the records are set on.

Are they trade secrets like the recipes for Coke and KFC?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Now, the reason the true measurements of the pockets haven't been revealed falls on Bobby, and his perception of the truth, and the reality of the truth. This is a table set up for one purpose, and one purpose only, to break the high run record by giving any player willing to give it a try the BEST POSSIBLE ODDS made available by the table, the rest is up to the player! The truth is John Schmidt was the target, not the high run record, they just happen to be one and the same!!!

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's a pic that was posted in Dr. Dave's TDF thread claiming to be the LOPB table.

legends.jpeg

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know why these people setting records are hesitant to provide the "actual" measurements, specifications, and dimensions of the tables that the records are set on.

Are they trade secrets like the recipes for Coke and KFC?
You mean like whether or not a cue was actually made by the person said to be the maker? ;)

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now, the reason the true measurements of the pockets haven't been revealed falls on Bobby, and his perception of the truth, and the reality of the truth. This is a table set up for one purpose, and one purpose only, to break the high run record by giving any player willing to give it a try the BEST POSSIBLE ODDS made available by the table, the rest is up to the player! The truth is John Schmidt was the target, not the high run record, they just happen to be one and the same!!!

Whatever, lol.

Not going to debate anyone based upon fantasy conspiracy theories.

Lou Figueroa

telinoz

Registered
all these arguments whether right or wrong, needless or not, go away if we have a standard size pocket, shelf, and angle for all pro events.

then homeowners can make their own pockets whatever size they want and same with pool rooms but we will all know what is regulation.

we have a regulation size and weight for the balls and that doesnt change based on what record or game of pool we play.
Exactly.

Snooker works this way, standard template.
Nobody argues about Snooker records.
Always the same equipment.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The simplest answer about the pocket size on this high run GC3 can only be answered truthfully and accurately by measuring the pockets in the same way any other pockets are measured, either by placing 2 balls in the pocket opening, splitting the balls on the tanget line between the points of the pocket opening, balls froze against the facings exposing the gap between the balls, then measuring that gap and adding it to the 4 1/2" width of the balls, OR by placing the ends of the legs of an adjustable protractor with both legs touching right at both points of the pocket opening, then placing the protractor on a scale/ruler and measuring the distance between the two legs of the protractor, the latter is how I measure pockets, because I then take the protractor and compare the measurement of the first pocket, to the 3 remaining corner pockets in order to insure uniformity. Once the mouth of the pocket has been established, I then use an angle finder gage to copy the miter angle into the throat of the pocket based on the straight line reading from the cushions, then angled back into the pocket. The reason I use an angle finder gage is because its much bigger than most adjustable toy protractors i see table mechanics using all the time. So, once the angle finder gage has been used to mimic the miter angle, then use your adjustable protractor to check the miter angle of the angle gage and you'll have an accurate measurement.

Tools needed...
View attachment 625743View attachment 625744]625741[/ATTACH]View attachment 625742View attachment 625741
Glen, enough is enough - get over it! I share your feelings regarding this table’s marginal pockets, but at some point you’ve just got to move on.

Like yourself, I just hope sometime soon players like Gorst and Filler are given the exact same opportunity on this same table with the same pockets and newly installed Simonis cloth just like Jayson had, and we can see what happens!

Personally I can’t wait, although my hunch is the organizers don’t want to see this record broken one or more times, as if that happens, more people will really start questioning how much these loose pockets have detracted from the significance of this accomplishment.

Last edited:

rjb1168

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is a table set up for one purpose, and one purpose only, to break the high run record by giving any player willing to give it a try the BEST POSSIBLE ODDS made available by the table, the rest is up to the player!
Shane and Earl almost broke it.😂😂😂😂 Not even close!

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Another mole, lol.

Lou Figueroa
whack
Sorry for being a mole, but I really did chuckle at the absurd post that you made.
I guess you just wanted to debate fantasy conspiracy theories in this thread: Chock full of crazy conspiracy theories.

Edit: for the record I have no issues with any of the tables used for the 14.1 challenges. Congrats to JS for breaking JS’s high run.

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
20220122_232610.jpg
Here's another thing about the pockets no one is seeing. Where I've circled the rails in alignment with the pocket casting and pocket liner, look how far out the rails sit. They're suppose to line the pocket facing up inline with the pocket liner, but they're aoutside of that alignment, which means the rails are bolted to the castings withe the rail sitting as far back as it can site with the play in the pocket casting mounting bolts to also help create the biggest possibility throat the rails can provide, and yet, still bolt to the casting. As you're looking at the picture, the left side of the pocket ear still has a gap so much, the pocket liner won't even cover it up.