Stats -- Gorst vs. Ko PY 9-Ball Race to 60, November 2022

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here are some results from the Fedor Gorst vs. Ko Pin Yi 9-Ball match played at The Rockin' Cue in Harlingen, Texas on November 12-13, 2022. Pay-per-view streaming was provided by Omega Billiards. The main commentator was Ben Sutherland.

This match was a race to 60 game wins played over 2 days, stopping on the first day when the leader reached 30. Gorst won the match, outscoring Ko each day. The scores (Gorst's score first) were:
Day 1 -- 30 - 20​
Day 2 -- 30 - 22​
Total -- 60 - 42​

Conditions -- The conditions for this event included:
- Diamond 9-foot table (not mentioned, but likely 4½" corners);​
- Simonis blue cloth;​
- what looked to me to be Super Aramith Pro balls, with a red-spots cue ball;​
- Accu-Rack racking template;​
- rack your own, with the 9-ball on the foot spot (2-ball need not be at the back of the rack);​
- winner breaks from the box -- approximately 8 or 9 inches to each side of the long string;​
- 3-point rule in effect -- the break is illegal (and non-breaker has an option to shoot) unless at least 3 object balls reach the plane of the head string or are pocketed;​
- all slop counts (except not stated whether a 9-ball made on the break is a game win; none occurred);​
- not stated whether cue-ball fouls only or foul on all balls (none were touched);​
- jump cues allowed;​
- no shot clock; and​
- lag for opening break on Day 1 (won by Ko).​

■ Gorst broke 59 times -- successful 46 times (resulting in 37 game wins and 9 losses), 4 wet but illegal (1 win, 3 losses), 3 fouls (all losses), 5 dry but legal (4 wins and 1 loss), and 1 both dry and illegal (a loss).

■ Ko broke 43 times -- successful 38 times (resulting in 25 game wins and 13 losses), 4 wet but illegal (all losses), no fouls, and 1 both dry and illegal (a loss).

Successful breaks (broke legally, made at least one ball, and did not foul):
Gorst -- 78% (46 of 59)​
Ko -- 88% (38 of 43)​
Total -- 82% (84 of 102)​

Breaker won game:
Gorst -- 71% (42 of 59)​
Ko -- 58% (25 of 43)​
Total -- 66% (67 of 102)​

Break-and-run games -- on all breaks:
Gorst -- 49% (29 of 59)​
Ko -- 47% (20 of 43)​
Total -- 48% (49 of 102)​

Break-and-run games -- on successful breaks (broke legally, made at least one ball, and did not foul):
Gorst -- 63% (29 of 46)​
Ko -- 53% (20 of 38)​
Total -- 58% (49 of 84)​

Illegal breaks:
Gorst -- 8% (5 of 59)​
Ko -- 12% (5 of 43)​
Total -- 10% (10 of 102)​

Fouls and foul rates: [Note: "games at the table" means total games less opponent's B&R games.]
Gorst -- 6 fouls, including 3 on the break, in 82 games at the table (a rate of 1 foul for every 13.7 games at the table)​
Ko -- 4 fouls (none on the break), in 73 games at the table (a rate of 1 foul for every 18.3 games at the table)​
Total -- 10 fouls in 102 games (1 per 10.2 games)​

Missed shots (est.):
Gorst -- 7 misses in 82 games at the table (a rate of 1 for every 11.7 games at the table)​
Ko -- 12 misses in 73 games at the table (a rate of 1 for every 6.1 games at the table)​
Total -- 19 misses in 102 games (1 per 5.4 games)​

Run-outs from first shot after break:
By Gorst after his own successful break -- 29 of 46 (63%)​
By Gorst after Ko's failed break -- 4 of 5 (80%)​
By Gorst, total -- 33 of 51 (65%)​
By Ko after his own successful break -- 20 of 38 (53%)​
By Ko after Gorst's failed break -- 4 of 13 (31%)​
By Ko, total -- 24 of 51 (47%)​
Total for Gorst and Ko -- 57 of 102 (56%)​

Run-outs from first shot after Gorst's break:
By Gorst -- 29 of 46 (63%)​
By Ko -- 4 of 13 (31%)​
Total -- 33 of 59 (56%)​

Run-outs from first shot after Ko's break:
By Ko -- 20 of 38 (53%)​
By Gorst -- 4 of 5 (80%)​
Total -- 24 of 43 (56%)​

Balls Pocketed:
Gorst -- 84 on the break, 431 not on the break, 515 in total​
Ko -- 76 on the break, 299 not on the break, 375 in total​
[Includes 6 by Gorst on breaking fouls, 4 by Gorst on illegal breaks, 1 by Gorst on a foul after the break, 6 by Ko on illegal breaks, and 1 by Ko on a foul after the break.]​

Average number of balls made on the break:
Gorst -- 1.4 on all breaks, 1.6 on successful breaks​
Ko -- 1.8 on all breaks, 1.8 on successful breaks​
Total -- 1.6 on all breaks, 1.7 on successful breaks​

Break-and-run packages
Gorst's 29 B&R games consisted of two 4-packs, four 3-packs, three 2-packs, and three singles.​
Ko's 20 B&R games consisted of two 4-packs, three 3-packs, and three singles.​

Games with 1 or more safeties (est):
24% of all games​
45% of games that were not B&Rs​

Number of innings
71% (72 of 102) of the games ended in one inning -- 49 games on the breaker's first inning (B&R games) and 23 games on the non-breaker's first inning.​
25% (25 of 102) of the games ended in the second or third inning.​
5% (5 of 102) of the games ended in the fourth inning. No game went beyond the non-breaker's fourth visit to the table.​

Distribution of consecutive game wins, i.e., winning streaks. Counts are given for Gorst first, then Ko, then the total.
1 game -- 9 times, 7 times, 16 times​
2 games -- 2, 5, 7​
3 games -- 0, 0, 0​
4 games -- 3, 1, 4​
5 games -- 1, 3, 4​
6 games -- 1, 1, 2​
8 games -- 1, 0, 1​
16 games -- 1, 0, 1​

9-balls on the break -- None.

Match length -- A few minutes under 9½ hours, for an average of 5.5 minutes per game. This includes racking and brief timeouts, but excludes a little lengthier intermission of about 11 minutes on Day 1.

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
Missed shots (est.):
Gorst -- 7 misses in 82 games at the table (a rate of 1 for every 11.7 games at the table).

That's just nucking futs. He missed 7 balls in a race to 60....

The stats appear very close, much closer then the 60-42 scoreline suggests. I guess the difference must have been those extra 5 missed shots and then perhaps a couple of not-so-great safeties from Ko?

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Missed shots (est.):
Gorst -- 7 misses in 82 games at the table (a rate of 1 for every 11.7 games at the table).

The stats appear very close, much closer then the 60-42 scoreline suggests. I guess the difference must have been those extra 5 missed shots and then perhaps a couple of not-so-great safeties from Ko?
I can have 7 misses and still be on the 2 ball in the first game.

Totally insane only 7 misses in a race to 60

Reactions: ACL

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here are some results from the Fedor Gorst vs. Ko Pin Yi 9-Ball match played at The Rockin' Cue in Harlingen, Texas on November 12-13, 2022. Pay-per-view streaming was provided by Omega Billiards. The main commentator was Ben Sutherland.

This match was a race to 60 game wins played over 2 days, stopping on the first day when the leader reached 30. Gorst won the match, outscoring Ko each day. The scores (Gorst's score first) were:
Day 1 -- 30 - 20​
Day 2 -- 30 - 22​
Total -- 60 - 42​

- Simonis blue cloth;​
- rack your own, with the 9-ball on the foot spot (2-ball need not be at the back of the rack);​
- winner breaks from the box -- approximately 8 or 9 inches to each side of the long string;​
- 3-point rule in effect -- the break is illegal (and non-breaker has an option to shoot) unless at least 3 object balls reach the plane of the head string or are pocketed;​
- all slop counts (except not stated whether a 9-ball made on the break is a game win; none occurred);​
- not stated whether cue-ball fouls only or foul on all balls (none were touched);​
- jump cues allowed;​
- no shot clock; and​

■ Gorst broke 59 times -- successful 46 times (resulting in 37 game wins and 9 losses), 4 wet but illegal (1 win, 3 losses), 3 fouls (all losses), 5 dry but legal (4 wins and 1 loss), and 1 both dry and illegal (a loss).

■ Ko broke 43 times -- successful 38 times (resulting in 25 game wins and 13 losses), 4 wet but illegal (all losses), no fouls, and 1 both dry and illegal (a loss).

Gorst -- 78% (46 of 59)​
Ko -- 88% (38 of 43)​

Breaker won game:
Gorst -- 71% (42 of 59)​
Ko -- 58% (25 of 43)​

Gorst -- 49% (29 of 59)​
Ko -- 47% (20 of 43)​

Break-and-run games -- on successful breaks (broke legally, made at least one ball, and did not foul):
Gorst -- 63% (29 of 46)​
Ko -- 53% (20 of 38)​
Total -- 58% (49 of 84)​

Illegal breaks:
Gorst -- 8% (5 of 59)​
Ko -- 12% (5 of 43)​

Fouls and foul rates: [Note: "games at the table" means total games less opponent's B&R games.]
Gorst -- 6 fouls, including 3 on the break, in 82 games at the table (a rate of 1 foul for every 13.7 games at the table)​
Ko -- 4 fouls (none on the break), in 73 games at the table (a rate of 1 foul for every 18.3 games at the table)​

Missed shots (est.):
Gorst -- 7 misses in 82 games at the table (a rate of 1 for every 11.7 games at the table)​
Ko -- 12 misses in 73 games at the table (a rate of 1 for every 6.1 games at the table)​

By Ko -- 4 of 13 (31%)​
Total -- 33 of 59 (56%)​

By Ko -- 20 of 38 (53%)​
Total -- 24 of 43 (56%)​

Balls Pocketed:
[Includes 6 by Gorst on breaking fouls, 4 by Gorst on illegal breaks, 1 by Gorst on a foul after the break, 6 by Ko on illegal breaks, and 1 by Ko on a foul after the break.]​

Break-and-run packages
Gorst's 29 B&R games consisted of two 4-packs, four 3-packs, three 2-packs, and three singles.​

24% of all games​

Number of innings
71% (72 of 102) of the games ended in one inning -- 49 games on the breaker's first inning (B&R games) and 23 games on the non-breaker's first inning.​
5% (5 of 102) of the games ended in the fourth inning. No game went beyond the non-breaker's fourth visit to the table.​

Distribution of consecutive game wins, i.e., winning streaks. Counts are given for Gorst first, then Ko, then the total.
2 games -- 2, 5, 7​
3 games -- 0, 0, 0​
4 games -- 3, 1, 4​
5 games -- 1, 3, 4​
6 games -- 1, 1, 2​
8 games -- 1, 0, 1​
16 games -- 1, 0, 1​

Match length -- A few minutes under 9½ hours, for an average of 5.5 minutes per game. This includes racking and brief timeouts, but excludes a little lengthier intermission of about 11 minutes on Day 1.
Hi, can i clarify if the stats for missed shots include an attempt to play safety and a 2 way shot perhaps ?
Or it only include a legitimate attempt to pocket a shot to an obvious pocket which resulted in a miss
Thanks

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Missed shots (est.):

It was an interesting match. Both players were playing really well and running lengthy packages. It was a battle for control of the table. Ko would run balls for 20 minutes, then Fedor would run balls for 30 minutes, then Ko for 30 mins, then Fedor for 35 minutes, and so on. It kept teetering back and forth like that the whole match. The only difference to me was that Fedor was able to extend his runs a little longer than Ko. Over the entire length of the match the little differences kept adding up which made the score line look so wide open.

Ko was breaking better in my opinion. He had a few unlucky rolls on the break that ended his runs early. I remember one time Ko broke and the cue ball was slowly rolling through the rack area and it got held up by the racking template and froze to the 9-ball. That was very unfortunate.

Great match by both!

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They played 102 games and not once was the 9 ball made on the break?
Thats nuts.
all slop counts (except not stated whether a 9-ball made on the break is a game win; none occurred);

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Missed shots (est.):

You miss more than 7 balls in 82 games? Geez all these years I thought you played stronger than that…..j/k 😃😉😉

That’s f*cking bananas. Who’s gonna beat that? Ever??? And toss in a 16 game win streak……nobody has a prayer. Nobody. Not like there wasn’t someone capable of shooting back. Front running a soft player is one thing-this is next level and then some.

I’m a believer,
Fatboy🙏🏼

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hi, can i clarify if the stats for missed shots include an attempt to play safety and a 2 way shot perhaps ?
Or it only include a legitimate attempt to pocket a shot to an obvious pocket which resulted in a miss
Thanks
Good question. This is an area with some subjectivity. The Accu-Stats TPA document defines a "Miss Error" like this -- "A player can "see" the lowest ball on the table, and his primary concern is to pocket a ball, but he fails to do so." But we can't read minds to know for sure what the player was thinking. My general approach is as follows. If it definitely looks like a 2-way shot, i.e., playing to make the ball but be safe if it misses, then I will count it as a miss if it fails on both counts -- did not pocket the ball and did not get the intended safe. If the shot missed but the intended safe was successful, I'll call it a safety. Misses with slopped safeties, rather than what looks like an intended safety, are counted as misses.

A factor that, for me, is now complicating this whole thing is the proliferation of, and proficiency in, jump shots. The Accu-Stats definition would seem to say that if you are hooked, i.e., cannot "see" the lowest ball, then missing a ball on a jump shot would not be a "miss error." But many jump shots today are made to pocket the object ball, not just to escape the hook. And many of those jump shots are easier than many non-jump shots. So I do count some jump shots as misses. But, again, there is some subjectivity in what is an intended, and reasonably possible, pocketing effort on a jump.

Similarly, some kick shots are intended to pocket a ball, even though you cannot "see" the lowest-numbered ball. So I count not pocketing the object ball on some kicks (e.g., an easy one-rail kick at a hanger or a simple rail-first shot) as a miss.

But as for this Gorst/Ko match, there were a couple of shots by Ko (not jumps or kicks) where the intent was not clear, and I counted them as safes rather than misses. I don't recall any such shots for Gorst.

Last edited:

Chicagoplayer

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Day 1 -- 30 - 20​
Day 2 -- 30 - 22​
Total -- 60 - 42​

- Simonis blue cloth;​
- jump cues allowed;​
- no shot clock; and​

Gorst -- 78% (46 of 59)​
Ko -- 88% (38 of 43)​

Breaker won game:
Gorst -- 71% (42 of 59)​
Ko -- 58% (25 of 43)​

Gorst -- 49% (29 of 59)​
Ko -- 47% (20 of 43)​

Gorst -- 63% (29 of 46)​
Ko -- 53% (20 of 38)​
Total -- 58% (49 of 84)​

Illegal breaks:
Gorst -- 8% (5 of 59)​
Ko -- 12% (5 of 43)​

Missed shots (est.):

By Ko -- 4 of 13 (31%)​
Total -- 33 of 59 (56%)​

By Ko -- 20 of 38 (53%)​
Total -- 24 of 43 (56%)​

Balls Pocketed:

Break-and-run packages

24% of all games​

Number of innings

2 games -- 2, 5, 7​
3 games -- 0, 0, 0​
4 games -- 3, 1, 4​
5 games -- 1, 3, 4​
6 games -- 1, 1, 2​
8 games -- 1, 0, 1​
16 games -- 1, 0, 1​

You are amazing!

Guy Manges

Registered
Good question. This is an area with some subjectivity. The Accu-Stats TPA document defines a "Miss Error" like this -- "A player can "see" the lowest ball on the table, and his primary concern is to pocket a ball, but he fails to do so." But we can't read minds to know for sure what the player was thinking. My general approach is as follows. If it definitely looks like a 2-way shot, i.e., playing to make the ball but be safe if it misses, then I will count it as a miss if it fails on both counts -- did not pocket the ball and did not get the intended safe. If the shot missed but the intended safe was successful, I'll call it a safety. Misses with slopped safeties, rather than what looks like an intended safety, are counted as misses.

A factor that, for me, is now complicating this whole thing is the proliferation of, and proficiency in, jump shots. The Accu-Stats definition would seem to say that if you are hooked, i.e., cannot "see" the lowest ball, then missing a ball on a jump shot would not be a "miss error." But many jump shots today are made to pocket the object ball, not just to escape the hook. And many of those jump shots are easier than many non-jump shots. So I do count some jump shots as misses. But, again, there is some subjectivity in what is an intended, and reasonably possible, pocketing effort on a jump.

Similarly, some kick shots are intended to pocket a ball, even though you cannot "see" the lowest-numbered ball. So I count some kicks (e.g., an easy one-rail kick at a hanger or a simple rail-first shot) as a miss.

But as for this Gorst/Ko match, there were a couple of shots by Ko (not jumps or kicks) where the intent was not clear, and I counted them as safes rather than misses. I don't recall any such shots for Gorst.
Brilliant...

Guy Manges

Registered
You miss more than 7 balls in 82 games? Geez all these years I thought you played stronger than that…..j/k 😃😉😉

That’s f*cking bananas. Who’s gonna beat that? Ever??? And toss in a 16 game win streak……nobody has a prayer. Nobody. Not like there wasn’t someone capable of shooting back. Front running a soft player is one thing-this is next level and then some.

I’m a believer,
Fatboy🙏🏼
Eric, what i would really like to see is for Fedor to play any one of the 16 top players in China on a eastern cut tournament Joy table... This would make my day... Guy

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Eric, what i would really like to see is for Fedor to play any one of the 16 top players in China on a eastern cut tournament Joy table... This would make my day... Guy
I want to see him play anyone who’s super strong!

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Similarly, some kick shots are intended to pocket a ball, even though you cannot "see" the lowest-numbered ball. So I count some kicks (e.g., an easy one-rail kick at a hanger or a simple rail-first shot) as a miss.

Thanks for the detailed explanation 👍